William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Corvettes were just ranked as the deadliest car in N. America, almost always single car accidents from drivers who bought one but have no business having a car with that amount of power.
I agree. Too many rich A$$ hole who just wanna show of to the the other rich a$$ holes at the golf club. Personally, I think you should have to “test into” performance car ownership (of course they’d sell almost none). If you can’t beat that thing, you no drive. It’s just like old granny’s driving around in new Vettes. What a waste. I’d rather they built less, and cost more than see them waste away under the foot of some old lady. I also think people should have to be required to park an SUV or truck in a SINGLE parking spot before they leave the lot. Hmmmm. I might be in the wrong thread.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, the looks are very love it or hate it. He just doesn't like the auto because of the shift delay when driven manual. He doesn't like auto trannys anyway though. I was surprised at how much delay there was when manual shifting. In auto mode it's good, but it starts off kind of slow then WHAM massive power.
You got me there; I never shift automatics, including double-clutch automatics using the paddle shifters. I feel silly trying to outthink the software. I tried it a couple of times on the S3 and the X3, and never found it satisfying.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting thing about Corvettes, including the monster Z06, is that they are surprisingly compliant and forgiving when driving sanely. It's when you mash on it that it has power for days. They drive really, really well in every day driving. Want to put the hammer down though? Then you might want to know what you're doing. Thankfully they have some AWESOME Corvette driving schools. Want to go bonkers and get a ZR1? Thank GOD the price of the car actually includes a course at the excellent Ron Fellows Performance Driving School in Nevada. I know I'd sure need it! Would definitely want to no matter what though, even if getting a base model Vette. Personally, I really want to take a course they have there for the Cadillac V's for when I (someday) get my ATS-V or CTS-V coupe/wagon. :)
If love to do a driving school. Really learn to do it right.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You got me there; I never shift automatics, including double-clutch automatics using the paddle shifters. I feel silly trying to outthink the software. I tried it a couple of times on the S3 and the X3, and never found it satisfying.
He said the same about trying to outsmart the computer, just isn't his preference. He got to get it because it's auto. Wifey has to be able to drive it. The others are just his...as much as they can be.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Had a fun weekend with my friend in Keller, TX (FT worth basically). He's got 3 Corvettes as of right now (recently sold his C4 grand sport).

The 70' has a 383 and manual everything. He thinks the engine is way down on power, but it still sounds awesome. Straight headers will do that. He's won a few shows with it apparently.

He also just got a 13' (IIRC) 427 that in the color there are only 17 of. That car is FAST. I've never driven or even ridden in anything over 450hp or so, but this thing could move. Instant power from that 7.0L. Very nice motor. Interesting color. Loud as hell going full throttle.

The last one is the 17' Z06. This is easily the fastest thing I've ever been in. I usually don't get even remotely bothered when I'm in a fast car, but this thing can make your heart stop. Only thing is that it was an auto compared to the others being standard. He said it's his 3rd favorite car he owns even with the 650hp monster under the hood. Sounds amazing. GM has made some big strides in interior since these have come out. Just wish they'd put a dual clutch tranny in them to make the autos lass slush boxy.

He has a 3 car garage that has a lift so he can park two in one bay. Pretty sweet setup.

View attachment 24554

Fun weekend with plenty of whiskey and cigars. I need a new toy to drive...
Gorgeous vets of course, but I can't shake the feeling that your buddy's 4th car doesn't quite match well his other cars... (hint - it's in white)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Gorgeous vets of course, but I can't shake the feeling that your buddy's 4th car doesn't quite match well his other cars... (hint - it's in white)
I'm surprised you're the first one to notice. He's got a minivan too...and a truck.

White car is his mom's so I guess he gets a pass. Not for the van though.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Those BMW *35i turbo's were junk until the newer engine name out (don't remember the N** engine number, N54 or N55?) Google your year and engine, and if it's one of the bad years get rid of it ASAP. If it's the newer version, enjoy!

SheepStar
Yeah, thanks, but trust me...I spent several months researching...I forget the engine name as well but the model years were up to '09 and I want to say it was before they went with the twin turbo. The problems seemed to be more with the 335i than the 535i for some reason.

Wife's is a '13 model year...fairly solid mechanical history with this model year.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Just googled.... the N54 was the POS that you need to avoid, at all costs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N54

SheepStar
I didn't read that as I can pull as many articles praising the N54 as you can pull dogging it...lol...

I actually don't know much about BMW as I have never liked them or owned them until recently. So far it's isn't my favorite car that I have ever owned but it intrigues me and I am having fun with it.

I do know "Tuners" praise that motor and you see it a lot on tuned BMWs. It may be based more on weight, cost and how easy it is to add power. I doubt that reliability comes into play at all in these cases.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
He said the same about trying to outsmart the computer, just isn't his preference. He got to get it because it's auto. Wifey has to be able to drive it. The others are just his...as much as they can be.
Yep, no way to outshift an Auto anymore. I have to admit, the Tranny in the BMW impresses me more than Audi or Merc so far. The only time I shift it myself is if I am pulling data logs and I need to run the full powerband in a certain gear. We normally like to pull the data from 2,000-7,000 rpm in 3rd gear.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
That is exactly why I didn't drive the z06. I have no business driving something that fast without getting some serious time behind the wheel just normally driving it.

He's got a fried with yenko edition that is all sorts of awesome. Only 850hp compared to your neighbor though...
My neighbor's hasn't ever made it to redline without going into limp mode yet...lol....

I think he is mainly having a meth injection issue.

All my data screams at wanting meth injection added but I think that's just too much on a daily driver.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I didn't read that as I can pull as many articles praising the N54 as you can pull dogging it...lol...

I actually don't know much about BMW as I have never liked them or owned them until recently. So far it's isn't my favorite car that I have ever owned but it intrigues me and I am having fun with it.

I do know "Tuners" praise that motor and you see it a lot on tuned BMWs. It may be based more on weight, cost and how easy it is to add power. I doubt that reliability comes into play at all in these cases.
People will praise it when it works, It's a nice engine. I'm talking about when it stops working, and why. We have seen enough trade ins through the shop, all of them with giant laundry lists worth of issues.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, thanks, but trust me...I spent several months researching...I forget the engine name as well but the model years were up to '09 and I want to say it was before they went with the twin turbo. The problems seemed to be more with the 335i than the 535i for some reason.

Wife's is a '13 model year...fairly solid mechanical history with this model year.
2013 is past the range with all the issues. The N55 is the twin scroll engine.

SheepStar

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My neighbor's hasn't ever made it to redline without going into limp mode yet...lol....

All my data screams at wanting meth injection added but I think that's just too much on a daily driver.
sorry, injected what?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Yeah, I could see that being an issue with all that boost. Still sounds like you've both got sweet rides. Next time I'll make sure to let you know before I head up there.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
People will praise it when it works, It's a nice engine. I'm talking about when it stops working, and why. We have seen enough trade ins through the shop, all of them with giant laundry lists worth of issues.

SheepStar
You are likely talking more about people who have cars that came with an engine and I am not.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I also think people should have to be required to park an SUV or truck in a SINGLE parking spot before they leave the lot. Hmmmm. I might be in the wrong thread.
YES!!! This needs to become a thing. I had to take a pretty long test to get my CDL. If I can parallel park a semi with precision, or park my ginormous work van (I had a Sprinter 4x4 170 extended which was over 24' long) perfectly within the lines at any parking lot, then SUV driving soccer moms have ZERO excuse to be over the lines. One of my biggest pet peeves ever.

It's not that I'm some sort of expert parker or anything, but rather I've come to notice just how bad so many others are.

Now on the other hand, THIS is some impressive parking:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis