ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
No, it means you got a great launch and your power output is falling for some reason after about 10sec. Guessing about this remotely is about as fruitful as tuning an audio system without hearing it. I think your mods need a tune-up, ya know, just accidentally falling onto your engine like they did.
Let's not forget that I have 35 years of real drag racing experience and was at a semi pro level with a full sponsorship for several of those years with both a Pro Mod, low 6 second/208 mph car and an Outlaw Street, mid 7's/180 mph car(1/4 mile times).

We are talking about a daily driver here with an inline 6 with just bolt ons and a piggy back. It runs good off the line but loses boost and drops timing after 70 mph. This is on a very safe daily driver tune and still getting 30 mpg on the highway. The tune is where it needs to be for what I want.

Two of my old cars:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
No, you don't need laundry(chute) until 150mph.
Hard to say that...lol....we used to race the Outlaw Street mainly on old 1/8 miles tracks that had no shutdown area and if you didn't pull your chute, were were disqualified period. It was part of the rules.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Let's not forget that I have 35 years of real drag racing experience and was at a semi pro level with a full sponsorship for several of those years with both a Pro Mod, low 6 second/208 mph car and an Outlaw Street, mid 7's/180 mph car(1/4 mile times).

We are talking about a daily driver here with an inline 6 with just bolt ons and a piggy back. It runs good off the line but loses boost and drops timing after 70 mph. This is on a very safe daily driver tune and still getting 30 mpg on the highway. The tune is where it needs to be for what I want.

Two of my old cars:

nice rides, me likes !!

Your explanation of your current ride explains it, thanks

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
nice rides, me likes !!

Your explanation of your current ride explains it, thanks
Thanks but yall were correct all along. I just pulled my slip and it was 12.48@ 107.

101 was my 1,000 ft speed...lol...

It does still lose boost and pull timing though. I tried to attach my data files but I can't seem to attach CSV files here. That little motor can take a lot more but I am not going to do that.

I wish I had better pictures of my old cars but we didn't have cell phones nor did we carry cameras around. The pictures I posted are me taking a picture, with my cell phone, of old hard copy pictures. I have some 8 track tapes of some runs too. I need to see if I can get those converted over to DVD be it too late if it's not already.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have some 8 track tapes of some runs too. I need to see if I can get those converted over to DVD be it too late if it's not already.
Last year I did conversion from dv tape to mp4/YouTube. Luckily the video camera had firewire port and my pc has it too.
I did capture with virtualdub recorder and used Deshaker plugin to stabilize the video.
If you could find some device to playback these tapes in analog format of sorts, you'd need a digital video capture box - http://www.hauppauge.com/

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
For sure. The last time it was at the dealer for a recall I had a rental for almost 2 months. "Fast" alone doesn't mean fun :) Not having to worry about a little abuse because it isn't mine is always fun lol.

Most of the CVTs aren't that different. None of them are bullet proof, none of them are really bad. Nissan has had it the longest and I was under the impression theirs was the best on the road. I drove a few Subarus with the CVT recently and it is pretty decent. No replacement for a manual, but a LOT smoother than an old hydraulic one. Would I own one? For a commuter car, it seems fine to me.

Turbos don't last? I sold my 2004 WRX with 160K on the original motor and turbo on it. My Forester had 150K, original motor/turbo. 80s turbos didn't last because they weren't really taking into account the additional heat, lubrication (no common consumer available synthetic oils back then),and cooling needed. That hasn't been an issue for a long time. Nearly all cars run on full synth these days and turbocharging is extremely well understood at this point.

I don't like driving aids. While it may reduce the information load on the driver, it should not even be necessary for anyone behind the wheel because your entire job is to pay attention to what you're doing. It will make bad drivers even lazier.
I agree with most of this.

CVT...I've owned an Altima with one it it...for a commuter car, not bad, for a performance car...it sucks imo.

Turbos...I'm a natural aspirated engine guy myself, but I'm gradually warming to turbo engines...imo the key is staying on top of the maintenance...maybe a little moreso than normal, but it is something more to go wrong, but they don't appear to be as problematic as in the past...my wife has a 535i with a twin turbo in it....I like the engine's performance/fuel economy, we'll have to see for the long haul, but she only puts about 8k a yr on her car.

Driving aids...they're nice, but I'm not paying extra for them.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Had a fun weekend with my friend in Keller, TX (FT worth basically). He's got 3 Corvettes as of right now (recently sold his C4 grand sport).

The 70' has a 383 and manual everything. He thinks the engine is way down on power, but it still sounds awesome. Straight headers will do that. He's won a few shows with it apparently.

IMG_1552.jpg

He also just got a 13' (IIRC) 427 that in the color there are only 17 of. That car is FAST. I've never driven or even ridden in anything over 450hp or so, but this thing could move. Instant power from that 7.0L. Very nice motor. Interesting color. Loud as hell going full throttle.

IMG_7266.jpg

The last one is the 17' Z06. This is easily the fastest thing I've ever been in. I usually don't get even remotely bothered when I'm in a fast car, but this thing can make your heart stop. Only thing is that it was an auto compared to the others being standard. He said it's his 3rd favorite car he owns even with the 650hp monster under the hood. Sounds amazing. GM has made some big strides in interior since these have come out. Just wish they'd put a dual clutch tranny in them to make the autos lass slush boxy.

IMG_20180609_122101.jpg

He has a 3 car garage that has a lift so he can park two in one bay. Pretty sweet setup.

IMG_20180609_111958.jpg

Fun weekend with plenty of whiskey and cigars. I need a new toy to drive...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Had a fun weekend with my friend in Keller, TX (FT worth basically). He's got 3 Corvettes as of right now (recently sold his C4 grand sport).

The 70' has a 383 and manual everything. He thinks the engine is way down on power, but it still sounds awesome. Straight headers will do that. He's won a few shows with it apparently.

View attachment 24551

He also just got a 13' (IIRC) 427 that in the color there are only 17 of. That car is FAST. I've never driven or even ridden in anything over 450hp or so, but this thing could move. Instant power from that 7.0L. Very nice motor. Interesting color. Loud as hell going full throttle.

View attachment 24552

The last one is the 17' Z06. This is easily the fastest thing I've ever been in. I usually don't get even remotely bothered when I'm in a fast car, but this thing can make your heart stop. Only thing is that it was an auto compared to the others being standard. He said it's his 3rd favorite car he owns even with the 650hp monster under the hood. Sounds amazing. GM has made some big strides in interior since these have come out. Just wish they'd put a dual clutch tranny in them to make the autos lass slush boxy.

View attachment 24553

He has a 3 car garage that has a lift so he can park two in one bay. Pretty sweet setup.

View attachment 24554

Way to be down the street from me and not call....I have Blanton's too......

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Way to be down the street from me and not call....I have Blanton's too......
Dammit...I should have asked if you'd be interested. I also should have thought about my friend of a friend that could have maybe got us track time if I'd have gone on a weekday. Next time I'll do that for sure.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Keller is very close to me as well. We could have grabbed a beer :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 24551

View attachment 24552

View attachment 24553

View attachment 24554

has the '70 been repainted to 'Steel Cities Grey' ('71 color) ? it looks more like that in the pic vs. the 'Cortez Silver' that was a '70 color

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I agree with most of this.

CVT...I've owned an Altima with one it it...for a commuter car, not bad, for a performance car...it sucks imo.

Turbos...I'm a natural aspirated engine guy myself, but I'm gradually warming to turbo engines...imo the key is staying on top of the maintenance...maybe a little moreso than normal, but it is something more to go wrong, but they don't appear to be as problematic as in the past...my wife has a 535i with a twin turbo in it....I like the engine's performance/fuel economy, we'll have to see for the long haul, but she only puts about 8k a yr on her car.

Driving aids...they're nice, but I'm not paying extra for them.
Those BMW *35i turbo's were junk until the newer engine name out (don't remember the N** engine number, N54 or N55?) Google your year and engine, and if it's one of the bad years get rid of it ASAP. If it's the newer version, enjoy!

SheepStar

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I've test-driven the latest Z06. It's amazing for the price, though I still feel a lot of tunnel heat in it. I like the automatic better than the manual. The double-clutch transmission in my Audi sometimes acts funny on a fast start from rest, so I'm not sure they're the best answer. The Z06's automatic was flawless, at least for my test drive. I also can't get past the styling... it looks like a teenage boy with pimples drew it in study hall.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Uh, I drive my moms Dodge Caravan, and I push WOT every time I drive it, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

/s

SheepStar

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
has the '70 been repainted to 'Steel Cities Grey' ('71 color) ? it looks more like that in the pic vs. the 'Cortez Silver' that was a '70 color
I don't know the exact color, but it's not original. It's actually a fantastic paint job to see in person. Probably why he's one shows. He sure couldn't think of any other reason...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've test-driven the latest Z06. It's amazing for the price, though I still feel a lot of tunnel heat in it. I like the automatic better than the manual. The double-clutch transmission in my Audi sometimes acts funny on a fast start from rest, so I'm not sure they're the best answer. The Z06's automatic was flawless, at least for my test drive. I also can't get past the styling... it looks like a teenage boy with pimples drew it in study hall.
Yeah, the looks are very love it or hate it. He just doesn't like the auto because of the shift delay when driven manual. He doesn't like auto trannys anyway though. I was surprised at how much delay there was when manual shifting. In auto mode it's good, but it starts off kind of slow then WHAM massive power.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Those BMW *35i turbo's were junk until the newer engine name out (don't remember the N** engine number, N54 or N55?) Google your year and engine, and if it's one of the bad years get rid of it ASAP. If it's the newer version, enjoy!

SheepStar
N54 is about the best "tuner" engine ever built.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Dammit...I should have asked if you'd be interested. I also should have thought about my friend of a friend that could have maybe got us track time if I'd have gone on a weekday. Next time I'll do that for sure.
Corvettes were just ranked as the deadliest car in N. America, almost always single car accidents from drivers who bought one but have no business having a car with that amount of power.

I could have brought my nextdoor neighbors supercharged Vette since it's street legal and packing right around 1,000 hp.

I was actually at the Cresson track yesterday, that's where I get my 100 octane fuel for my daily driver since it's only $9.98/gal....lol...While we were there we went ahead and pulled to the track and watched some driving school laps.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Corvettes were just ranked as the deadliest car in N. America, almost always single car accidents from drivers who bought one but have no business having a car with that amount of power.

I could have brought my nextdoor neighbors supercharged Vette since it's street legal and packing right around 1,000 hp.

I was actually at the Cresson track yesterday, that's where I get my 100 octane fuel for my daily driver since it's only $9.98/gal....lol...While we were there we went ahead and pulled to the track and watched some driving school laps.
That is exactly why I didn't drive the z06. I have no business driving something that fast without getting some serious time behind the wheel just normally driving it.

He's got a fried with yenko edition that is all sorts of awesome. Only 850hp compared to your neighbor though...

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
That is exactly why I didn't drive the z06. I have no business driving something that fast without getting some serious time behind the wheel just normally driving it.
Interesting thing about Corvettes, including the monster Z06, is that they are surprisingly compliant and forgiving when driving sanely. It's when you mash on it that it has power for days. They drive really, really well in every day driving. Want to put the hammer down though? Then you might want to know what you're doing. Thankfully they have some AWESOME Corvette driving schools. Want to go bonkers and get a ZR1? Thank GOD the price of the car actually includes a course at the excellent Ron Fellows Performance Driving School in Nevada. I know I'd sure need it! Would definitely want to no matter what though, even if getting a base model Vette. Personally, I really want to take a course they have there for the Cadillac V's for when I (someday) get my ATS-V or CTS-V coupe/wagon. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis