Needing new AVR, or switch to separates?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, forget about those Marantz amps. If anyone is getting separates (instead of AVR), they might as well get some real amps with 200-300WPC x 5Ch continuous, not 118W x 5Ch continuous. :eek:

Anyway, back to the speakers needing the most power, in my system the ATI AT3005 powers the five SX-1010/R subs, the AT3002 powers the Front Left and Front Right SX-T1/R, and the AT2004 powers the Center SX-T1/R and the Surround Left and Surround Right SX-T1/R.

That's because I believe besides the subs, the FR and FL get the most stress, not the Center.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Where are you getting your information about the distribution of information between the left , center and right speakers and the surround speakers and sub
I do believe you’re incorrect about the center channel speaker It does most of the work in a surround sound set up. Please so me a link to a study backing up your info on this? I will post as many as you ask for on my thoughts about this
I don’t understand how you believe the left and right generate more information above the center channel I’m calling you out on that one
and as for the Marantz line of amps, they are very good quality mid level amps and I believe that your power rating you listed is very low because I’ve owned one of the five channel Marantz AMPs the MM7055. And it’s 140 watts at 0.008 distortion. So please help me and the others with some data info to back up your post

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Look at the S&V measurement:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av7005-surround-processor-and-mm7055-amplifier-ht-labs-measures

It's 107.8 Watts x 5 Ch at 0.1% THD.

Kind of lame for a amp to be advertised as 140W x 5Ch amp when it outputs 107 W x 5Ch.
AFAIK, the 140W spec was only ever supposed to be for 2 channels. At least that's what the review mentions. The Marantz page is ambiguous on the matter. In any case, it's a decent enough amp, at least for my purposes. Power is essentially comparable to the SR7xxx series, such as the recently tested SR7011. I'm also appreciative of the fact that it's not a ~100lbs behemoth, and stays pretty cool without the need for extra fans. And it looks nicer than the POS Outlaw that it replaced :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Where are you getting your information about the distribution of information between the left , center and right speakers and the surround speakers and sub
I do believe you’re incorrect about the center channel speaker It does most of the work in a surround sound set up.
We agree that the Center gets most the dialogue, but not the most action scene materials - explosions, loud low frequencies, etc.

You agree that Dialogue (midrange) material does not require as much power as Explosions (bass)?

During the heavy action scenes, what happens to the sound when you turn off the FR, FL, and Surround speakers?

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
I’ll give you that one. But now your info on the center speaker?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, the center may get a high percentage of use due to dialog, but not necessarily the highest demands of work overall....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AFAIK, the 140W spec was only ever supposed to be for 2 channels. At least that's what the review mentions. The Marantz page is ambiguous on the matter.
From the Marantz website:

"The MM7055 power amplifier produces 140 watts of high current output from each of its five channels. This is “real world” power, too, measured across the full audio bandwidth (20 Hz – 20 kHz) at 8 ohms with 0.08% Total Harmonic Distortion."

That's very misleading. :D

On the plus side, yeah, it's not 100 LBS. I don't like heavy amps either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From the Marantz website:

"The MM7055 power amplifier produces 140 watts of high current output from each of its five channels. This is “real world” power, too, measured across the full audio bandwidth (20 Hz – 20 kHz) at 8 ohms with 0.08% Total Harmonic Distortion."

That's very misleading. :D

On the plus side, yeah, it's not 100 LBS. I don't like heavy amps either.
Tricky wording....it doesn't say all five channels simultaneously, just that each can do that.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Gents, those Marantz MMXXXX power amplifiers are just glorified Marantz SR8XXX or Denon AVR-43XX AVRs based on S&V and other bench test data. I do have a 8X140W MM8003 that is stronger than the MM7055X1.6 based on transformer size (1200 VA) and bench test data, but it still does not do any better than something like a Denon AVR-4520. The MM8077 is a little weaker, and the MM7025,7055 are worse, they are more powerful than any Marantz SR7XXX AVRs but less powerful than the Denon flagship AVRs.

For entry level budget power amplifiers, start from the Monolith 200 WPC models, and go from there. You get more for less, than any of the Marantz MM series amps.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Gents, those Marantz MMXXXX power amplifiers are just glorified Marantz SR8XXX or Denon AVR-43XX AVRs based on S&V and other bench test data...For entry level budget power amplifiers, start from the Monolith 200 WPC models, and go from there. You get more for less, than any of the Marantz MM series amps.
Pretty much, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either. Yeah, the Monolith is the better value (if you pay full retail for the Marantz at least), but ATI left a bad taste in my mouth, so it's not high on my list of things to try these days. On a related note though...

Amp Comparison.png

Given the similar dBW performance between the MM7055 (and MM8077) and the THX Ultra 2 certified Integra, I can guess what Marantz's performance target was. I like the Bryston comparison as well :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis