Needing new AVR, or switch to separates?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Pretty much, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either. Yeah, the Monolith is the better value (if you pay full retail for the Marantz at least), but ATI left a bad taste in my mouth, so it's not high on my list of things to try these days. On a related note though...

View attachment 22635

Given the similar dBW performance between the MM7055 (and MM8077) and the THX Ultra 2 certified Integra, I can guess what Marantz's performance target was. I like the Bryston comparison as well :D
Good point, I did not pay full price for my MM8003, in fact I got it for a huge discount brand new from an authorized dealer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty much, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either. Yeah, the Monolith is the better value (if you pay full retail for the Marantz at least), but ATI left a bad taste in my mouth, so it's not high on my list of things to try these days. On a related note though...

View attachment 22635

Given the similar dBW performance between the MM7055 (and MM8077) and the THX Ultra 2 certified Integra, I can guess what Marantz's performance target was. I like the Bryston comparison as well :D
An $8K Bryston that can output a monster 130W x 5 Ch into 8 ohms? Definitely an audiophile “value”. ;) ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
An $8K Bryston that can output a monster 130W x 5 Ch into 8 ohms? Definitely an audiophile “value”. ;) ;)
The Audio Critic had a test of that by David Rich with a power cube test. Not very good.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
By the way, QSC Digital Cinema Amplifier series amps all meet the THX certification and they sell at decent prices.

They don't have the looks of a Marantz or a Monolith , but they perform to the extent that you wouldn't hear a difference if you switched to them.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Good point, I did not pay full price for my MM8003, in fact I got it for a huge discount brand new from an authorized dealer.
I know of no one that pays msrp, well at least no one of sane mind ........

T

TGTBATQ

Enthusiast
Hi all, it looks like this really took off without me! Sorry for any spicy debates I caused :(

I got the receiver in today, and boy is it a beast. I've always wanted to own a marantz, and this thing lives up to ALL the hype.
The Audyssey setup was incredible, and it sounds so much better than my old Yamaha -- I can't even put it into words.
Only issue is it's hardly utilizing my sub, my speakers in general have a lot of bass power but I've even turned my sub up all the way (it had me set it to about 25% to register ~75db during setup) -- probably something I'm missing and will require a bit more tinkering.
Otherwise, I am so happy with this purchase. I have noticed it runs hot, and i mean HOT.. I'll definitely be ordering the external cooling.
Hopefully I can get the sub thing figured out, it registered fine in the setup, just not seeming to want to carry it's own weight during music or movies :p

Thank you again to all of you, I am EXTRAORDINARILY happy with the purchase, thank you thank you thank you!

Edit: Regarding the sub, setting my speaker size to "small" seems to channel the low frequencies to the sub instead of the speakers, all fixed now :)

Edit2: In regards to speaker and sub crossover, I haven't ever been able to mess with the crossover level until now. Is it correct to assume that I set the crossover level on the sub to MAX, and set the crossover on the AVR to the level where my RTiA9's cut off? It shows the lower and upper -3dB Limits are 30 Hz -> 26 Hz, so would I set the crossover to 26? And to that effect, setting the crossover of the center/front/surrounds to the highest level as shown by polk's website? Or should I just assume that the Audyssey set the frequencies correctly and not meddle in the settings?
I'm sorry for the loaded question and super long post, thank you again so much to anyone who has, and can help!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi all, it looks like this really took off without me! Sorry for any spicy debates I caused :(

I got the receiver in today, and boy is it a beast. I've always wanted to own a marantz, and this thing lives up to ALL the hype.
The Audyssey setup was incredible, and it sounds so much better than my old Yamaha -- I can't even put it into words.
Only issue is it's hardly utilizing my sub, my speakers in general have a lot of bass power but I've even turned my sub up all the way (it had me set it to about 25% to register ~75db during setup) -- probably something I'm missing and will require a bit more tinkering.
Otherwise, I am so happy with this purchase. I have noticed it runs hot, and i mean HOT.. I'll definitely be ordering the external cooling.
Hopefully I can get the sub thing figured out, it registered fine in the setup, just not seeming to want to carry it's own weight during music or movies :p

Thank you again to all of you, I am EXTRAORDINARILY happy with the purchase, thank you thank you thank you!

Edit: Regarding the sub, setting my speaker size to "small" seems to channel the low frequencies to the sub instead of the speakers, all fixed now :)

Edit2: In regards to speaker and sub crossover, I haven't ever been able to mess with the crossover level until now. Is it correct to assume that I set the crossover level on the sub to MAX, and set the crossover on the AVR to the level where my RTiA9's cut off? It shows the lower and upper -3dB Limits are 30 Hz -> 26 Hz, so would I set the crossover to 26? And to that effect, setting the crossover of the center/front/surrounds to the highest level as shown by polk's website? Or should I just assume that the Audyssey set the frequencies correctly and not meddle in the settings?
I'm sorry for the loaded question and super long post, thank you again so much to anyone who has, and can help!
As you figured out, your subs will only get a signal with your speakers set to small. Try a crossover setting of 80 on your avr (most common) and play with it from there. I didn't see what subs you have, but yes. Turn the low pass filter on your sub all the way up and plug the rca into the lfe (usually marked lfe, but there may be a setting or switch to bypass the internal crossover of the sub).

You can play with the crossover setting up or down and see what sounds best to you. Most folks go with 80 hz. I have towers and it's set at 120 hz, but I dont have any localization issues where my subs are.

T

TGTBATQ

Enthusiast
As you figured out, your subs will only get a signal with your speakers set to small. Try a crossover setting of 80 on your avr (most common) and play with it from there. I didn't see what subs you have, but yes. Turn the low pass filter on your sub all the way up and plug the rca into the lfe (usually marked lfe, but there may be a setting or switch to bypass the internal crossover of the sub).

You can play with the crossover setting up or down and see what sounds best to you. Most folks go with 80 hz. I have towers and it's set at 120 hz, but I dont have any localization issues where my subs are.
I have an old Paradigm PDR-12 that I inherited from my father, I'd say it's probably 15~ years old.
I'll try the settings listed, thanks for the starting point!

/edit: While on the subject, would anyone recommend a sub in the $3-500 range that would be comparable/beat what I have currently? Given the age, I'd like to replace it as it's the oldest piece in the setup by far -- might be worth mentioning I like my music very punchy and bassy :)
I've seen a LOT of people really like HSU, so I've been drawn to the VTF-2 MK5, does anyone have any other input or anything bad to say about that particular model?

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Glad to hear about your first impression and a confirmation of your good decision to finally acquire a Marantz AVR. :)

Cheers,

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know of no one that pays msrp, well at least no one of sane mind ........
Sure, but you don't often get a "huge" (too low to tell:D) discount for any Marantz amps (new) from an authorized dealers. I didn't need that amp at the time but couldn't pass up that deal.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Sure, but you don't often get a "huge" (too low to tell:D) discount for any Marantz amps (new) from an authorized dealers. I didn't need that amp at the time but couldn't pass up that deal.
understood, gotcha .......

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
might be worth mentioning I like my music very punchy and bassy :)
Good to know, but what's your room dimensions (LXWXH) and distance from the L,R,C speakers? Good thing you bought an AVR that has preouts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have an old Paradigm PDR-12 that I inherited from my father, I'd say it's probably 15~ years old.
I'll try the settings listed, thanks for the starting point!

/edit: While on the subject, would anyone recommend a sub in the $3-500 range that would be comparable/beat what I have currently? Given the age, I'd like to replace it as it's the oldest piece in the setup by far -- might be worth mentioning I like my music very punchy and bassy :)
I've seen a LOT of people really like HSU, so I've been drawn to the VTF-2 MK5, does anyone have any other input or anything bad to say about that particular model?
Why cheap out on the sub? Good subs start at around $500. Depending on room size you may consider multiple subs, too. Hsu, Rythmik, SVS, Power Sound Audio, Seaton, JTR are all go-to companies for subs.

You might also bump up the sub level post-Audyssey by a few dB (many dial it up anywhere from 2 - 6 dB), as it sounds like you're bass friendly. Might also look into how to use DynamicEQ (and if your model avr sets Dynamic Volume automatically, I'd turn that off).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

View attachment 22635

I wish dBW is used more often, for the obvious reason.:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Steve81 can't tease like that with the ATI bad taste in the mouth thing....got a thread or something to 'splain?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
@Steve81 can't tease like that with the ATI bad taste in the mouth thing....got a thread or something to 'splain?
Just referring to the woes (transformer hum, audible hiss at the MLP) with the old Outlaw, which was built by ATI, and serviced by them once.

T

TGTBATQ

Enthusiast
Why cheap out on the sub? Good subs start at around $500. Depending on room size you may consider multiple subs, too. Hsu, Rythmik, SVS, Power Sound Audio, Seaton, JTR are all go-to companies for subs.

You might also bump up the sub level post-Audyssey by a few dB (many dial it up anywhere from 2 - 6 dB), as it sounds like you're bass friendly. Might also look into how to use DynamicEQ (and if your model avr sets Dynamic Volume automatically, I'd turn that off).
Isn't the VTF-2 MK5 from HSU? I found it on their website, I assumed it was one of theirs but I've never actually bought a separate sub and looked at some reviews here and avs -- it seemed to be well received -- and that one was in the price range.
Regarding room size, just going off of body height and laying in weird positions (the best I can do until I can find my damn tape measure..) my bedroom is approximately 13x13

/Edit: It's worth mentioning that I only want to replace it because the sub I have is extremely old. All of my equipment is about 2 years old, and now a "brand new" receiver, but a 15~ y/o sub -- just some peace of mind while I have some expendable money instead of it dying at a time when I might not have the money to replace it immediately. Also, i'm assuming sub technology might have gotten a bit better in 15~ years as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis