My twin RSS315HF-4 build.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Looking really nice!!! I love the “b side” birch too. Birch is great.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Won't be long now. I got the post cups done. It looks like a hole but I have a piece of 9mm marine 7-ply glued in there that is a tropical cedar. I was going to paint the backs and decided to just coat the birch with shellac/varnish instead.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Some scratching of the epoxy stripes with 220, these baffles will be ready for paint and then it's on to assembly. I clean them with a bit of denatured alcohol and then just use matte black enamel spray. Over epoxy sealer, it's a pretty durable finish.

Taping off the stripes. On these cabinets, with long sides of only 21", I can mix, thicken and apply 2 sides back to back using 5 minute epoxy. Getting the cabosil mixed in quickly is a bit of a challenge.

Once the epoxy is applied and wiped down tight with a squeegee, the tape is removed just before the epoxy kicks off so that the lines are somewhat sharp, but not so soon that the mix gets a chance to sag.

Other side.

One of the tops that are not rounded over like the sides. The only fuss is where the corners meet. You have to kind of start full and clean in which to create a natural miter of sorts.

Still have a bit of glue to clean up in the driver holes and dress the back bevel a bit with my die grinder.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I'm finally about done. One more driver to install and it's show time. I'm pretty pleased with the way they turned out. They're a good match with the Tempests.

Got the binders/wires installed as well.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Couldn't wait. :)

They sound awesome. Even just tucked where they can be. This was well worth doing.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The look too nice to hide like that! Really well done.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I hadn't had time to really mess with EQ so I turned all filters off from where I had EQ'd the little Peerless subs. Turns out that these do not need any, other than the delay setting in this 'music only' system. I currently have these crossed over at 150hz with the little FR speakers and they do really well there too. I thought perhaps they might be overkill in that role but they work quite well.

I hadn't really settled down to critically listen to them and last night they stopped me in my tracks a few times and drew me in away from my other tasks. Like, "whoa, that was nice" kind of grab. I ended up parking in my chair for about 4 hrs after that and now can't wait to get home from work so I can do it again.

I'm not going to hook up the Tempests until this weekend because I cannot behave with those at night. To the point where I walk out to my property line with a db meter to make sure I am still within legal limits, to which I am usually right at the technical line of that ordinance.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Still with these subs 4 years on. I have to say, perfect performers for a seasoned 2 channel head. I'm not typically big on effects, and these bring bass rather 'tastefully', for lack of a better description. Good bass is kind of like good vocal clarity. Where you can hear what is being said. I have really been enjoying these with multiple types of speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis