Dayton Ultimax 12 Build

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Only winter for a few more days! Couldn't find the DTS thing anywhere, think it may have been a trial offering more now....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lol. A few days too many. Probably a month until the lake is open. I've been waiting for spring since about September.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have a laptop with Dolby stuff on it. Didn't even know it was active until I was getting messed REW measurements. Back in the day I was an EQ tweaker. As I got older, I turned into a set it and forget guy. I learned to appreciate songs for how they were recorded instead of tweaking the EQ and finding that I made them all sound the same. Lol. I do use this for diff headphones though, and have tried it on my rig since I AirPlay a lot of music though my network.
ONKYO HF Player by ONKYO CORPORATION
https://appsto.re/us/4jf-P.i
Ever hear of certain speakers being better, or worse for different kinds of music? That's what I use the EQ for. Also for what I know certain bands were known for. Take Van Halen, for instance. Eddie Van Halen was known for developing, or emphasizing that "brown sound." I know that sound for adding a distinct quality to their overall presence. Others have that sound as well and other variations of intentional types of distortion. Randy Rhodes from Ozzy was another with a trademark tone. That's also what I use the EQ for.

Roy Buchanan, yet another. Stevie Ray Vaughn's Strat, with the jumbo bass frets and the heavy strings, right down to the weight of all the rings he wore on his fingers that affected his tone somewhat later on. Billy Gibbons, in spite of having a heavy sound, actually used light gauge strings.

All these things I learned from seeing live performances, I would miss if I could not help it with the EQ. Some systems correct these nuances out of the music because to them, it registers just as distortion. Distortion is bad, unless it is intentional, and then it can be good, at least with electric music.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ever hear of certain speakers being better, or worse for different kinds of music? That's what I use the EQ for. Also for what I know certain bands were known for. Take Van Halen, for instance. Eddie Van Halen was known for developing, or emphasizing that "brown sound." I know that sound for adding a distinct quality to their overall presence. Others have that sound as well and other variations of intentional types of distortion. Randy Rhodes from Ozzy was another with a trademark tone. That's also what I use the EQ for.

Roy Buchanan, yet another. Stevie Ray Vaughn's Strat, with the jumbo bass frets and the heavy strings, right down to the weight of all the rings he wore on his fingers that affected his tone somewhat later on. Billy Gibbons, in spite of having a heavy sound, actually used light gauge strings.

All these things I learned from seeing live performances, I would miss if I could not help it with the EQ. Some systems correct these nuances out of the music because to them, it registers just as distortion. Distortion is bad, unless it is intentional, and then it can be good, at least with electric music.
Very interesting mr boat. I have indeed heard of some speakers being better for some music than other music. My jbls for example make guitars sound amazing. As far as signature sound, that's what I learned to leave alone. I don't want Eddie sounding like randy. That's what happened when I'd EQ stuff. I made it sound how my ear liked it, not so much how it was recorded. Btw I have to say before I forget. I'm so glad Ozzy released "Tribute". I love the music, but holy balls, those studio albums sound like they were recorded with sears catalog toys. Even early Sabbath albums sound better. Tribute has depth and power. I can listen to Mr Crowley and not cringe. Lol. But even still, I listen to them for what they are.
If I remember right, Billy Gibbons learned about using lighter gauge strings after spending some time with Jimmy Hendrix. Thought that was pretty cool. I think it's a little like some music sounds heavier with, ironically, less distortion.

I may have just realized after typing all that, that your use of EQ is to restore the signature sounds removed by some speaker designs which were intended for other music types?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I may have just realized after typing all that, that your use of EQ is to restore the signature sounds removed by some speaker designs which were intended for other music types?
That and the impact of my listening area and the fact that my entire home is terrazzo floors. Sometimes it's just the mood I am in, or not in. Often times, I don't agree with the studio's engineers. How they treat or design intros to sound compared to the rest of a recording. Or even current trends with regard to bass, for example. Sometimes I don't care if the artist intended things a certain way. I can disagree with their generalizations.

As per the picture I posted of my EQ setting, that works for most jazz fusion music regardless of volume, which tends to be bass heavy for my environment. A general pop music setting would have the bass frequencies emphasized comparatively, the mids a little higher and more on the two highest frequency bands. Still, that setting tends to show that these speakers are actually pretty good and that the sub is a pretty good match. Those adjustments are pretty subtle.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed. Most pop settings or rock settings are smiley faced. I tend to agree that a lot of recording practices are bad, and the "loudness wars" thing just plain sucks. Curious, with tile everywhere, is your space super live, or do you have rugs all over to deal, or just let er rip?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed. Most pop settings or rock settings are smiley faced. I tend to agree that a lot of recording practices are bad, and the "loudness wars" thing just plain sucks. Curious, with tile everywhere, is your space super live, or do you have rugs all over to deal, or just let er rip?
I have just enough soft furniture and irregularities with walls to work just right. I also tend to listen more of a near field style. I have a great center channel effect from the Tempests and placement of the subwoofer is quite forgiving. I cannot tell where the bass is coming from. I catch myself walking right up to the mains to see if I can hear if the bass is coming from them or the sub. Also, I find myself putting my hand on the sub cabinet to make sure the bass is coming from it. lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis