Monoprice SW-15 Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
SW15 9.jpg
Throughout this year, we have looked at a number of lower-cost subs in the $500 and below range. One often discussed low-cost sub that slipped through our net was the Monoprice SW-15. After many reader requests for a review of the SW-15, we asked Monoprice to send us one to see how it would fare, and that brings us to today’s review. The SW-15 is very affordable at $300 (including shipping), and its spec sheet claims to have a 600-watt RMS amplifier, although I find that figure hard to believe. Most halfway-decent 600-watt amplifiers cost considerably more than the SW-15 itself, especially in plate amp form. Unless that number is massively fudged, Monoprice would have to be selling these things at an enormous loss, and I doubt that is the case. Nonetheless, the most important attribute of this product is going to be performance rather than a number on a spec sheet, no matter how inflated. What will make the SW-15 a success is how it stands out in its price class rather than the specs, because shoppers in this price class are looking for a good value above all. Read our full review to see if the SW-15 succeeds by these criteria...

READ: Monoprice SW-15 Subwoofer Review

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
Thanks for another review of a quality piece of audio her that is affordable to the average household.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the review. Great to see a company producing good sounding equipment at a very reasonable price. Everyone should be able to afford a good setup including a sub that doesn’t break the bank.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
It's nice to see a large, reasonably low-cost sub turning in solid performance on some notable metrics.

Thanks for the review.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Great review. For most people who don't list at ungodly levels and who have towers that can handle down to 80 at least. Something like this probably does the job extremely well. I know one of my early subs was a Polk PSW505 and I used that for a good while as the main sub in an admittingly budgetish setup. Assuming something like this would blow that away?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Great review. For most people who don't list at ungodly levels and who have towers that can handle down to 80 at least. Something like this probably does the job extremely well. I know one of my early subs was a Polk PSW505 and I used that for a good while as the main sub in an admittingly budgetish setup. Assuming something like this would blow that away?
Yes, this would massively outperform the PSW505. Not even the Polk HTS12 can touch this thing.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
About your speaker level input comment. Having that option is still valid. Some budget stereo receivers - like the Yamaha R-S202, SONY STR-DH190, and the Pioneer Elite A20 integrated amplifier (I have one) - do not have a subwoofer out. So, in my opinion, having the speaker level input option is still a good move.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thank for the through review SJ! Maybe I'll pick one up on a monoprice sale.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Both those have similar performance in their upper range like the Monoprice?
Yes, both the Polk subs are tuned somewhat high like the Monoprice so they have pretty powerful mid-bass. It's just that the Monoprice has a lot more output across the board.

X

XaVierDK

Audioholic Intern
About your speaker level input comment. Having that option is still valid. Some budget stereo receivers - like the Yamaha R-S202, SONY STR-DH190, and the Pioneer Elite A20 integrated amplifier (I have one) - do not have a subwoofer out. So, in my opinion, having the speaker level input option is still a good move.
There's also the fact many of the newer budget chip-amps don't have subwoofer outputs, but would definitely pair well with these

X

XaVierDK

Audioholic Intern
I feel the crossover dial on the amp is misleading at best, going up to 150 Hz. Sure it might actually cut the signal that high, but with the kind of response the subwoofer has, as you point out in the review, it's not really a feasible setting either way.
Altogether a decent product, especially considering the price, but it's pretty clear they were working towards a pricepoint.
Could some of the high distortion for the burst tests be due to the amp beginning to clip? 600W sounds to me like a 10% THD, burst/peak rating. At best

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I was pleasantly surprised but now that I come to think about it, not really surprised at all. I say this because I own their SB-600 soundbar surround sytem with surround satelites and an 8" down firing ported sub. That little sub packs a bigger wallop then it has a right too and it sounds clean doing it. Good bang for the buck.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis