Monoprice Monolith 13" THX Ultra Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Any reviews planned for the monolith 16 inch sub?
Not a full review, but I did have an opportunity to measure the 16". We will have an article that is a performance analysis rather than a full review.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
What a great review as always. I am enjoying my M-215. I wonder how that will compare to the single 16 inch. I would guess the M-215 is still a player. No regrets on my side.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know the threading, but I would guess it isn't something weird, so I would imaging you could replace the feet with something more substantial pretty easily. I am sure if you got in touch with the Monolith rep, he would tell you what the threading is.
I was more hoping you would tip it on its side and unscrew a footer and tell us what you find :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What a great review as always. I am enjoying my M-215. I wonder how that will compare to the single 16 inch. I would guess the M-215 is still a player. No regrets on my side.
That 215 is just a beast bro curious to see where the 16 measures up against it

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I was more hoping you would tip it on its side and unscrew a footer and tell us what you find :)
It's likely 1/4-20 or similar in metric. The Soundpath feet come with a full set of screws to fit any of the common options on the market. A trip to the hardware store, any halfway decently appointed one, should have options available to figure it out.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That 215 is just a beast bro curious to see where the 16 measures up against it
My suspicion is that the 16 will destroy the single 15. The 215 may have an edge in sheer output capability, but... until we see the facts... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's likely 1/4-20 or similar in metric. The Soundpath feet come with a full set of screws to fit any of the common options on the market. A trip to the hardware store, any halfway decently appointed one, should have options available to figure it out.
For cabinet feet maybe you could even use different screws. I still wouldn't buy silly things like those Soundpath things :)

B

Bruno62

Audiophyte
So what about the 16" ? :)

ps Do you have deep shag/padded carpet?
can I use the monolith 15 inch sub which I already own along with the new 13 in monolith sub for dual subs or will there be issues with the difference in size

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My suspicion is that the 16 will destroy the single 15. The 215 may have an edge in sheer output capability, but... until we see the facts... ;)
What's exciting is the 13 already outperforms the 15. So I can't even begin to imagine what the 16 does to it they brought these out to make a statement so I'd imagine these bad boys are going to perform and perform well

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What's exciting is the 13 already outperforms the 15. So I can't even begin to imagine what the 16 does to it they brought these out to make a statement so I'd imagine these bad boys are going to perform and perform well
That 13 already exceeded my expectations that is an amazing amount of sub for that price

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
can I use the monolith 15 inch sub which I already own along with the new 13 in monolith sub for dual subs or will there be issues with the difference in size
Its not the size particularly but how similar the subs' responses are, you'll always be limited by the lesser sub but without comparing them, I'd suspect they'd work well enough together in any case but @shadyJ would have a better idea from experience/testing....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Its not the size particularly but how similar the subs' responses are, you'll always be limited by the lesser sub but without comparing them, I'd suspect they'd work well enough together in any case but @shadyJ would have a better idea from experience/testing....
A multi-sub system using different subs will be limited by the sub that runs into gross distortion the quickest. The good news is that the Monolith subs can't be pushed into gross distortion, so you can easily use any of them with each other without having to take special measures. So yes, the 13" would get along with the 15" just fine.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis