Monoprice Cables Issues/Concerns

freefall

freefall

Enthusiast
Upgraded my receiver from a Yamaha to a Denon, received my Denon today, I was geeked up to get it going, after removing my Monoprice Affinity banana plugs, I noticed something wasn't right, after closer inspection, I seen that two of the banana plugs stripped off the post and the other two actually stayed in the speaker terminals which now I cannot remove. This is very worrisome because last week I purchased two of their 10 inch monolith subwoofers, after 3 days of use, one went bad, I am still waiting for a return authorization. I called customer service today about the cables, they stated to send them back for a replacement, that does me no good as I am not going to use them, and their still stuck in my terminals. The cables are very good looking, but they are junk, lesson learned. I attached a photo for reference.

Attachments

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Upgraded my receiver from a Yamaha to a Denon, received my Denon today, I was geeked up to get it going, after removing my Monoprice Affinity banana plugs, I noticed something wasn't right, after closer inspection, I seen that two of the banana plugs stripped off the post and the other two actually stayed in the speaker terminals which now I cannot remove. This is very worrisome because last week I purchased two of their 10 inch monolith subwoofers, after 3 days of use, one went bad, I am still waiting for a return authorization. I called customer service today about the cables, they stated to send them back for a replacement, that does me no good as I am not going to use them, and their still stuck in my terminals. The cables are very good looking, but they are junk, lesson learned. I attached a photo for reference.
I've used a lot of their cables throughout the years and have never had a problem with any of them.

freefall

freefall

Enthusiast
Could be that I hit a perfect storm, the bad cables I can deal with, but add the defective subwoofer after 3 days of use, and I get a little irritated. LOL

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Very surprising. Hopefully Mono takes care of you!
I went all in on their Cables (Choice Speaker, HQ Subwoofer, Cat6a Ethernet, and Certified Premium HDMIs) and Affinity Banana Plugs plus the Right Angle Bananas.
No Problems here, either. They have all been super solid and done their job well!

freefall

freefall

Enthusiast
I changed the heading and removed the junk title to issues and concerns, junk was probably not very professional.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Those pictures speak for themselves. Obviously those cables are duds and made from substandard Far Eastern material. That is the curse of Far Eastern supply factories come and go. You can have the same item and they are fine, then another factory, here today and gone tomorrow states up and the item looks the same but it is not.

So the cables are not just not fit for purpose but have caused you a serious problem.

With the tariffs against Chinese goods I think we will see more of this as materials are downgraded to maintain price. There is absolutely no reason why cables or much of anything else have to be shipped all the way from China.

I would get a cable operated grabber. That will likely get the broken ends out.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Were these pre-made cables terminated with their Banana plugs?

It will probably suck, but I would think with a little patience and perseverance, a very precise pair of needle nose pliers, pointed tweezers, or perhaps even a strightened paperclip with a small hook might help you extract them from the binding posts.

freefall

freefall

Enthusiast
Yes, they were pre made by Monoprice, I will take my time and try to remove the post or have somebody more adapt then me when it comes to this stuff as I will try to sell the Yammi down the road, thanx!!

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I had the same issue with Monoprice banana plugs, was able to pull them out of the binding posts with a pair of needle nose pliers, but it happened to several different ones. I won’t be buying from them again. Bluejeancable for me from now on

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m a fan of the monoprice hdmi cables since hdmi standards change so often, but I have to admit I like Blue Jeans cables for Subwoofer cable runs. :)

freefall

freefall

Enthusiast
OMG
I received my monoprice replacement banana plugs today, I decided to do a simple test, I used my fingers and pulled very gently on the plug end, and mind you, my hands were slightly damp from doing dishes , the photo shows the results, what the hell is going on with these cheap cables??

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OMG
I received my monoprice replacement banana plugs today, I decided to do a simple test, I used my fingers and pulled very gently on the plug end, and mind you, my hands were slightly damp from doing dishes , the photo shows the results, what the hell is going on with these cheap cables??
Bummer! :( Regardless of my satisfaction with what I have from them... that ain't cool!

Can't help but wonder if it's something in the manufacture of the pre-made cable. I bought my plugs and cable separately. Still...

Hope you can get your money back!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OMG
I've seen that photo before today....where is it from? Seems same cables as in first post. Why are you using a pin to banana cable? I don't even see such a cable on the monoprice site. What product number are your cables?

freefall

freefall

Enthusiast
Separate and different photo, the smooth post is from the compression part of the plug separating, the plug with nothing is from the whole thing coming out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Separate and different photo, the smooth post is from the compression part of the plug separating, the plug with nothing is from the whole thing coming out.
Ok, got it on the two different ways they have been taken apart. What catalog/product number is that cable, tho?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
#13913, 6 foot
Thanks. Sorry to grill you :) Monoprice upsets some audiophiles.....and almost no posting from you in 13 years....

The only pre-terminated cabling I buy from monoprice are rca/optical/hdmi so no experience with this particular cable from them. I always terminate my own speaker cables (and use Sewell banana plugs if I put a connector on usually).

Hopefully Monoprice will take extra good care of you after two failures in a row (and will take steps to correct any issues with this product line. Let us know how that goes....again, sorry to grill ya!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh wow. I've had nothing but good experiences with Monoprice. Their customer service is pretty adequate tho. I user-error fried an amp and they replaced it for me (after an inspection period) without question. I get all my cabling from them too. Hope you get it sorted.

freefall

freefall

Enthusiast
I had no intentions on frivolously bashing a product, especially a simple cable, not my nature, just wanted to share my experience, as I think what this forum is intended for. I plan on using the braided wire and buy new plugs and terminate myself and call it good)))), Now I'm going to have a beer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I had no intentions on frivolously bashing a product, especially a simple cable, not my nature, just wanted to share my experience, as I think what this forum is intended for. I plan on using the braided wire and buy new plugs and terminate myself and call it good)))), Now I'm going to have a beer.
I'd still take Monoprice to task for it, at least make them provide the plugs! Cheers!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis