Monolith by Monoprice 7x200

M

massacre

Audioholic Intern
its the monolith 5. it works now its the power supply it has a loud buzz.

Last edited:
M

massacre

Audioholic Intern
if you ever want great tec support call ati amps. i went to my service panel and went one breaker at a time to find
it was a heater that was plugged in that was causing the line noise.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
if you ever want great tec support call ati amps. i went to my service panel and went one breaker at a time to find
it was a heater that was plugged in that was causing the line noise.
So Monoprice ended up having ATI support help you with the Monolith 5 buzz? Glad to hear you found the source of the ground loop. Congrats!

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Good news and smart on Monoprices/ATI's part. Think of how many AMPS get returned for the same reason and that return shipping plus replacement must kill margins and really inconvenience customers.

M

massacre

Audioholic Intern
no i called ati on my own monoprice did not recommend me to call them. The tec at ati also recommended a power filter that emotiva sells. and its out of stock lol.

M

massacre

Audioholic Intern
do i plug the heater into this? its not rated for high power

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
NO not the heater! The AMP

I think the AMP would be fine in that but you can research it. I'm using one on one of my amps (Not a monolith though)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
do i plug the heater into this? its not rated for high power
I would not run any other high-draw device on the same circuit as my rig and computer! Get an extension cord of suitable gauge for the current, abd just long enough to reach an outlet on a different circuit. I have to do this at three different places in our home... not because of ground loop, but we do have some slightly wonky electricity.

M

massacre

Audioholic Intern
the amps are on two 20amp separate outlets the heater in on a 15amp on a different circuit.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you have a ground loop, I'd look into a Ebtech Hum X. They do work. You could test with a $2 cheater plug and if that take the buzz away then buy the Hum X

I doubt ground loop is the issue. Heater won't do that to one particular amp. It is likely harmonic, but then the heater must be one that has some kind of variable speed fan, or other sort of electronic controls. A simple baseboard heater is basically a resistor so it won't inject harmonics.

J

jsc1979

Junior Audioholic
no i called ati on my own monoprice did not recommend me to call them. The tec at ati also recommended a power filter that emotiva sells. and its out of stock lol.
Cmx2 I presume? The transformers in my 7x used to hum, as did they in my Rythmik subs too. Traced it back to some xenon under cabinet lighting in my kitchen and a lamp. Emotiva cmx2 fixed it completely.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis