Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks go to Mazer for reminding me of these a day or two ago:

Do you think a mid-bass module (or 12, in Mike's case) from Hsu would give that punched-in-the-chest feeling?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Mike, I love this thread!

I have a friend who does some very big nightclub installations, and he always tells me the trick to getting the "punch" is actually in the lower midrange. The bass provides the vibrations and the warm feeling in your ears, but you need big powerful mains for that feeling of getting hit with rocks each time the bass hits. With car audio, like you spoke of, it's a lot easier to get to that point because the listening space is so small. Your mains are big, but, they aren't going to keep up with all the air your subs are moving. I think your next step should be buying some new speakers, maybe even pro-theater mains. Bag End, JBL, Klipsch...

Have you ever checked out Bag End?
http://www.bagend.com/

They have some subwoofers that could kill a small animal. They even make a Quad 18" :eek: ...

They have some very nice sounding, practical, mains as well, and if I ever could build a real theater for myself and not have to worry about neighbors, that's probably the route I would go.
haven't checked out bagend, but i think you're right that the punch is not in the 80hz and below frequencies. i wonder how much the bagend mains are.

Thanks go to Mazer for reminding me of these a day or two ago:

Do you think a mid-bass module (or 12, in Mike's case) from Hsu would give that punched-in-the-chest feeling?
edit: i dont think the MBM would help. the MBM is a bandaid for those who cant afford TWO same subs - because two same LF subs are way better than one LF sub and one MBM.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe order some?

Oh, where's the Mike that we'll all grown to know...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe order some?

Oh, where's the Mike that we'll all grown to know...
sorry, i edited right when you posted.

i looked over some ground plane tests and the ultra does 150hz and below just fine at 110db - so i dont think ill need the MBM :)

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
haven't checked out bagend, but i think you're right that the punch is not in the 80hz and below frequencies. i wonder how much the bagend mains are.
They are between 500 to 3,500 each depending on what you get. They are worth giving a call, they have some great, knowledgeable, staff to talk to.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Mike, I love this thread!

I have a friend who does some very big nightclub installations, and he always tells me the trick to getting the "punch" is actually in the lower midrange.
I totally agree. I think the one area, if any, where HTs suffer compared to cinemas is precisely the low midrange response.

Have you ever checked out Bag End?
http://www.bagend.com/

They have some subwoofers that could kill a small animal. They even make a Quad 18" :eek: ...
I was checking out FilmMixer's posts last night and today, and where he works they use eighteen x 18" Bag Ends!!!!!!! :eek:

2 each for L C and R, and the remaining twelve for the LFE!!!! :eek:

He says:
"They are the boxes with the white labels in the corners under the screen".... ?

A very excellent thread for those who want to know more about how HT tracks are created.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I totally agree. I think the one area, if any, where HTs suffer compared to cinemas is precisely the low midrange response.

I was checking out FilmMixer's posts last night and today, and where he works they use eighteen x 18" Bag Ends!!!!!!! :eek:

2 each for L C and R, and the remaining twelve for the LFE!!!! :eek:

He says:
"They are the boxes with the white labels in the corners under the screen".... ?

A very excellent thread for those who want to know more about how HT tracks are created.
Whoa! Bookmarked! I can't imagine what that sounds like in there, that's a lot of big bass.

The Bag End system I heard had Dual Infra-18" (two 18" in each box) under the screen on either side, and it truely warmed and fuzzed my ears. I left the room and my heart was pounding. I think I can sum it up with this: The owner showed me how the installers hung his pictures... with gaskets and braces! So I can't imagine was 18 of those sound like. The mids and highs from Bag End are great too, and I think the smaller TA series are fairly affordable. Of course, the big Crystal-I mains are like 100-lbs. Bag End's pricing makes much more sense to me then some of the stuff you see in Stereophile or something. You could buy a lot of Bag End speakers for what a pair of some of that stuff costs, and they'd probably outperform the goofy stuff too.

Bag End probably has the lowest WAF of any speaker manufacturer though. A lot of them go behind screens, are hung in clubs, etc.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
it might be too early to conclude this but:
i've found my "kick in the chest" feeling!
thanks to Andrew (avaserfi) who suggested i do a low shelving filter to the frequencies i wanted to boost.

i started with 121hz down to 80hz and also 111hz down to 80hz, both gave me that kick in the chest feeling so i left it at 111hz :)
please note: i had no problems boosting 6db to those frequencies because they were dedicated subwoofers and not my mains.

a little more tweaking, and i'm gone! i'm done with subwoofers! ;)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not very familiar with your setup(s), mike, but these subs are for LFE/summed bass, yes? Or are you running full range LCR as sats+subs? Just curiuos.

You do not have issues with localization of subs? They are up front and near the mains, or something?

Thanks. Any tips or links to shelving filters would be appreciated. Perhaps I should wait on a second sub. My sub is directly on the right, and has been getting more easily localizable as I've been cranking it louder and louder recently. I must admit I have not really addressed bass mgmt to any great/significant effect yet. Trapping is about it.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
it might be too early to conclude this but:
i've found my "kick in the chest" feeling!
thanks to Andrew (avaserfi) who suggested i do a low shelving filter to the frequencies i wanted to boost.

i started with 121hz down to 80hz and also 111hz down to 80hz, both gave me that kick in the chest feeling so i left it at 111hz :)
please note: i had no problems boosting 6db to those frequencies because they were dedicated subwoofers and not my mains.

a little more tweaking, and i'm gone! i'm done with subwoofers! ;)
No problem. Anyone interested in doing this will likely create panel resonance of the subwoofer due to the raised pass band and typical lack of bracing in such cabinets.

I'm not very familiar with your setup(s), mike, but these subs are for LFE/summed bass, yes? Or are you running full range LCR as sats+subs? Just curiuos.

You do not have issues with localization of subs? They are up front and near the mains, or something?

Thanks. Any tips or links to shelving filters would be appreciated. Perhaps I should wait on a second sub. My sub is directly on the right, and has been getting more easily localizable as I've been cranking it louder and louder recently. I must admit I have not really addressed bass mgmt to any great/significant effect yet. Trapping is about it.
Mike runs stereo subwoofers located in close proximity to his main speakers which allows for the raised crossover point with no such created localization issues. Implementation of the shelving filters was done via a DCX2496 which would also allow for ideal subwoofer/loudspeaker integration as well.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
...a little more tweaking, and i'm gone! i'm done with subwoofers! ;)
Believe it, or not! Well, to be honest, I DON'T!!:p;)

Mike,

back to the fabric, I'm dead sure you can get that in Manila. Tell you what, go to any fabric store (those selling fabrics for curtains, drapers, etc.) and ask them for a black fabric, though. That easy!

Regards, Chuck

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Hi Mike,

FYI, I was just googling' round over at the SVS site and DID NOT found their distributor down in The Phillipines - WHICH IS YOU - no doubt about it!!

I then suggest you to contact them asap, in order to include YOUR COORDINATES on their site as their sole rep. in the area, though :p;):)

Regards, Chuck

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Nice Mike.:D

Now I thought the plan was for two of these?

Are you going to replace all the Beringer amps?

Oh and by the way you need to change your username to

Mike "Boom Boom" C :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Nice Mike.:D

Now I thought the plan was for two of these?

Are you going to replace all the Beringer amps?

Oh and by the way you need to change your username to

Mike "Boom Boom" C :)
that was the plan - but the wife kinda "Stepped in" on the purchase there, besides, none of those are hooked up yet :D didn't have the time.

but yeah, im hoping to replace the A500's with yammy's.

You don't have enough power there Mike...:D:D
i'm working on it!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis