yuki

yuki

Enthusiast
the A500 amps are the best ever sub $1000 amps in my opinions, will be buying one over the weekend, wanted my current amp because it was cheap and currently available locally. The local music shop had a floor model and it sounded good connected to some lower end speakers. I have been happy with my headphone amp and mixer from Behringer ! The crossover management system is really cool as well after looking into it... looking into it as I am adding a sub ^^.

Well anyways, that is a sexy setup !

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
I think the Rosewood finish looks better than the black considering your lower wall and floor is a similar color.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I think the Rosewood finish looks better than the black considering your lower wall and floor is a similar color.
thank you very much for that opinion. i was actually a button click away from ordering another textured black pair.

i will defer the order til tomorrow AM for more thought through the night. :)

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
thank you very much for that opinion. i was actually a button click away from ordering another textured black pair.

i will defer the order til tomorrow AM for more thought through the night. :)
Well, if you're going to put the Rosewood ones where the ED subs are, while it will match the decor to a degree, your speakers will clash with it.

I know a guy locally who has (ONE) PB13 in rosewood and it looks excellent next to his Onix Rockets as if they were from the same brand. Really nice.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i've finally been able to watch a movie (2 actually) in my HT since - last time was around february of this year :D

i watched Jumper yesterday and FF4 Silver Surfer. Jumper didn't have much bass, but FF4two did :D

right now i have the quad Ultras playing LFE, the two eD's strung up on the L and R's. i set the receiver option to LFE + Main, but the mains don't really do much work because i have a DCX2496 highpassing the mains to 80hz and up, the eD's are producing 121hz and below.

im gonna calibrate using the AVIA II disc one last time, maybe find some better locations for the subs - and i might even call it complete :)

(with the quad ultras, i think im about 10db hot to the mains - not counting the eD's)

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
:p
i've finally been able to watch a movie (2 actually) in my HT since - last time was around february of this year :D

i watched Jumper yesterday and FF4 Silver Surfer. Jumper didn't have much bass, but FF4two did :D

right now i have the quad Ultras playing LFE, the two eD's strung up on the L and R's. i set the receiver option to LFE + Main, but the mains don't really do much work because i have a DCX2496 highpassing the mains to 80hz and up, the eD's are producing 121hz and below.

im gonna calibrate using the AVIA II disc one last time, maybe find some better locations for the subs - and i might even call it complete :)

(with the quad ultras, i think im about 10db hot to the mains - not counting the eD's)
And here I am giggling like a schoolgirl with my awesome PB10 crossed at 80. And you're got Mains + LFE on that crazy setup of yours! :p:p

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
...i agree. i'll find a way to fix that up someday
Quite an easy task Mike,

just get some black ortophonic fabric and stick it to the back of the rack and you'll be done :)

Regards, Chuck

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
... but what exactly is an ortophonic fabric?
Sorry Mike,

believe you're not an old-fashioned guy, though...:p

Ortophonic fabric is the one used on speaker grilles (better the one used on the pro stuff,' cause it's thicker).
Apart of hiding away all the mess behind the gears, it also allows the hot air to pass thru it, which is a good thing, indeed.

I did that on my rack a while back and so far, so good :)

Regards, Chuck

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i'm watching movies again in my HT, and it was the first time i watched the Island. wow! all that bass! all that destruction as an excuse to churn out that much bass!

so i'm thinking ... maybe there's still some room to place some more subs :D

Ortophonic fabric is the one used on speaker grilles (better the one used on the pro stuff,' cause it's thicker).
Apart of hiding away all the mess behind the gears, it also allows the hot air to pass thru it, which is a good thing, indeed.

I did that on my rack a while back and so far, so good :)

Regards, Chuck
that's a good idea! i doubt ill find that specific kind of cloth, but a black piece of cloth shouldn't hurt :)

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
so i'm thinking ... maybe there's still some room to place some more subs :D

that's a good idea! i doubt ill find that specific kind of cloth, but a black piece of cloth shouldn't hurt :)

Mike,

I don't think ins that difficult to find that fabric though. Don't you have a Radio Shack, or similar store in the area?

BTW, may I suggest you change your ID to Mr. Thunderbolt instead??:p;):)

Regards, Chuck

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Mike,

I don't think ins that difficult to find that fabric though. Don't you have a Radio Shack, or similar store in the area?

BTW, may I suggest you change your ID to Mr. Thunderbolt instead??:p;):)

Regards, Chuck
we dont have radioshack here, but if its available online at radioshack, ill be able to get it.

if you have a linky via radioshack or partsexpress, i might be able to get it when my bro goes to CA this end of the month :)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief

Try Flight of the Phoenix crash scene (Ch 5 I think). The sequence where the plane rolls and you are looking at the pasengers is thee most intense bass I have heard since gong to quad subs. Generates incredible pressure in my room and makes my ears pop at 3db hot. 10db hot with your PB's would be obscenely loud. Use the Bluray DTS Master HD if you have it but not essential as the DD track has plenty of bass:eek:.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Try Flight of the Phoenix crash scene (Ch 5 I think). The sequence where the plane rolls and you are looking at the pasengers is thee most intense bass I have heard since gong to quad subs. Generates incredible pressure in my room and makes my ears pop at 3db hot. 10db hot with your PB's would be obscenely loud. Use the Bluray DTS Master HD if you have it but not essential as the DD track has plenty of bass:eek:.
thanks! i haven't popped in FOTP yet since i set the 4 up. i have the BD version and the LFE demo disc i got from AVS that also has that.

i dont think im 10db hot now, since i've had to cut a whole band of frequencies using the SMS-1 (like from left to right) im thinking the two eD's are boosting the above 25hz range too much - im starting to think these arent tuned to 17-18hz like eD told me.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Mike, I love this thread!

I have a friend who does some very big nightclub installations, and he always tells me the trick to getting the "punch" is actually in the lower midrange. The bass provides the vibrations and the warm feeling in your ears, but you need big powerful mains for that feeling of getting hit with rocks each time the bass hits. With car audio, like you spoke of, it's a lot easier to get to that point because the listening space is so small. Your mains are big, but, they aren't going to keep up with all the air your subs are moving. I think your next step should be buying some new speakers, maybe even pro-theater mains. Bag End, JBL, Klipsch...

Have you ever checked out Bag End?
http://www.bagend.com/

They have some subwoofers that could kill a small animal. They even make a Quad 18" :eek: ...

They have some very nice sounding, practical, mains as well, and if I ever could build a real theater for myself and not have to worry about neighbors, that's probably the route I would go.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis