M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Mike, if I were you I would seriously look at Infinate Baffle subs (check out Youtube and there are some great videos as to how low and powerfull they are. I was at one home where an IB outperformed the SVS PB13 Ultra. So this may be what is right up your alley. It would also free up some much needed space that all them subs are taking up. In fact, i would use the drivers in those subs for the IB setup and you may find bass so powerfull that your insides will explode from the pressure. Seriously do a search on IB subs, I have heard a couple and eveyone of them was just very impressive.

Now my fee for this useful info is just one of those PB13's (Rosewood preferred) :D

BTW You seriously suck for owning all those. I am so jealous. I need to win the lottery.

Matt34

Matt34

Mike, if I were you I would seriously look at Infinate Baffle subs (check out Youtube and there are some great videos as to how low and powerfull they are. I was at one home where an IB outperformed the SVS PB13 Ultra. So this may be what is right up your alley. It would also free up some much needed space that all them subs are taking up. In fact, i would use the drivers in those subs for the IB setup and you may find bass so powerfull that your insides will explode from the pressure. Seriously do a search on IB subs, I have heard a couple and eveyone of them was just very impressive.

Now my fee for this useful info is just one of those PB13's (Rosewood preferred) :D

BTW You seriously suck for owning all those. I am so jealous. I need to win the lottery.
Thats just what Mike needs, a wall of 18" subs.:D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
unless i move to a completely different house/room i doubt IB is in my future :)

besides, i change subwoofer locations very often that simply designing where to put an IB would require massive amounts of thinking and work. chicken and egg actually whether to design a room with an IB or figuring out where in the room to port the IB.

even Ed M and Stephen P of SVS said that the next step from my Ultras is an IB. (8 18's to be exact)

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Mike I was thinking of your sub situation all day today (mainly daydreaming about owning that many PB13's) but something that kept nagging me is why the need for so much bass in one system. Looking at the pics, the room isnt that large that 2 PB13's shouldnt be more than enough. I feel with what your doing is possibly too much bass that most likely is drowning out the sounds of the upper frequencies. When I started in this hobby I had four PA speakers with 15" drivers in each speaker, and even though the bass was fantastic, I learned that the bass was hindering the mid range and the upper frequencies far too much. Just a heads up to keep an eye out for that. I love bass heads but not when it hinders the sound of the upper frequencies. I am quite positive that all those subs are more than you will ever need. Also if you ever do go with an IB sub, trust me 8 18" drivers and placement is going to be the least of your issues with achieveing deep bass.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Mike, I also have to ask what do you have the subsonic filter set at? If set at 10Hz and you have all three port plugs filled, i think you will be hard pressed to go much lower than what those PB13's are capable of and I don't think adding any more subs will do anything more than the six you alrady own aren't capable of. Stop trying to achieve the impossible and sit down and enjoy what you have.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I only have four ultras in this room. :) the reason I want more headroom is hulk bd. It's basically got twelve hz content that I want to feel. I had the ultras scattered around the room, which is why I never got the twelve db headroom. I got eight db. They're set up running with a fifteen hz subsonic filter with a first order slope. Without the slope, I could get more feeling from that scene but it was below tuning. Also, I'm eight db hot from the mains. But it does not drown out the mains. Having low distortion subs is different from other subs. To be continued...was typing from an ipod ... that took an eternity!

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
what i was trying to say is ... the bass i listen to is absolutely not drowning out the mains. in fact, i want more bass ... low bass to be exact. i can't possibly drown out the mains when i can't even hear the bass i want more of. i want to feel more of the bass.

i do have a whole shopping list to go through for this HT:
1) more corner traps
2) more subs
3) new mains?
4) power cords
5) fancy power strip
6) cable management
7) more subs

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
what i was trying to say is ... the bass i listen to is absolutely not drowning out the mains. in fact, i want more bass ... low bass to be exact. i can't possibly drown out the mains when i can't even hear the bass i want more of. i want to feel more of the bass.

1) more corner traps
2) more subs
3) new mains?
4) power cords
5) fancy power strip
6) cable management
7) more subs
POWER CORDS!:eek::confused:

If ever there was a candidate for the Thigpen Rotary it is you my friend. Since you seem to be getting into the business anyway, I'm sure that Bruce could use an AP distributor;).

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
POWER CORDS!:eek::confused:

If ever there was a candidate for the Thigpen Rotary it is you my friend. Since you seem to be getting into the business anyway, I'm sure that Bruce could use an AP distributor;).
yeah, power cords extend and enhance the low end frequency response right? :eek:;)

don't worry, it's more for looks

i can't even afford 1 thigpen. i did email bruce though if he would sell me just the unit + the plans. but he said it was an "installer" product and not for the end user. :( [not that i could afford even just the unit, i emailed just to quench my curiosity]

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Dude, your doing all this for one movie!!! :eek: Seriously for how often you would actually hit a 10Hz signal in most movies, I would stop worrying about and just enjoy the 4 subs you have. I think unless you go IB or the Thigpen yoru never going to achieve what you want even with four Ultras.

Although I would love to hear 4 Ultras in one room, that must be insane. I have the 10" subs in my BP7001's and my SVS NSD 12/2 and I think I have enough bass, I can't imagine what four Ultras must be like.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief

1) more corner traps
2) more subs
3) new mains?
4) power cords
5) fancy power strip
6) cable management
7) more subs
Mike, did you ever contact Mark Seaton? I'm sure his Catalyst/Submersive combo would hit you in the chest.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
i can't even afford 1 thigpen. i did email bruce though if he would sell me just the unit + the plans. but he said it was an "installer" product and not for the end user. :( [not that i could afford even just the unit, i emailed just to quench my curiosity]
One is all it will take (along with a couple of the PB13's). Start saving those Pisos.:);)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Dude, your doing all this for one movie!!! :eek: Seriously for how often you would actually hit a 10Hz signal in most movies, I would stop worrying about and just enjoy the 4 subs you have. I think unless you go IB or the Thigpen yoru never going to achieve what you want even with four Ultras.

Although I would love to hear 4 Ultras in one room, that must be insane. I have the 10" subs in my BP7001's and my SVS NSD 12/2 and I think I have enough bass, I can't imagine what four Ultras must be like.
sounds anal i know, but look at it like ... you want this new PC game, but your vid card or mem card doesn't meet the system requirements: you buy new ones right? :D

Mike, did you ever contact Mark Seaton? I'm sure his Catalyst/Submersive combo would hit you in the chest.
unfortunately, unless the sealed subs are EQ'ed with lots of low end boosts, it will not happen in my HT which has room gain too far down (how far down i'll find out soon - since i will be installing a dedicated PC in the HT just for REW and the EQ1)

One is all it will take (along with a couple of the PB13's). Start saving those Pisos.:);)
let's see 1 peso (piso for singular peso) per day ... 356 pesos a year ... that's 7 USD! :eek:

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
:eek: Wow is all I can say :eek: Looking good Mike !!!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

PC and monitor for REW and AS-EQ1 in ...
but i forgot to bring home a keyboard :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis