Marantz Unveils SR7012, SR8012 AV Receivers and AV7704 Processor with Alexa Skill

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Marantz® announced the expansion of its latest home cinema line-up with two high-end network AV receivers, SR7012 and SR8012, along with the AV7704 multichannel AV preamplifier/processor. These are among the first AVRs on the market compatible with Amazon Alexa’s Smart Home Skill for Entertainment Devices. Of the three products displayed by Marantz at the 2017 CEDIA Expo, the SR8012 AV receiver really stood out to us due to its apparent roots back to the super receiver days of not too long ago.

See what makes these products so special to live up to the reputation and legacy of the Marantz name.

SR8012-top.jpg

Read: Marantz Unveils SR7012, SR8012 AV Receivers and AV7704 Processor with Alexa Skill

Bob Leonard

Bob Leonard

Junior Audioholic
I wonder what Denon’s version of the Marantz’s SR8012 will look like.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
What size block capacitors are in the Marantz SR8012?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Interesting that the pre/pro costs less than the receivers, which it should.

I'm might be interested in that pre pro down the road. I won't be putting in any ceiling speakers though. I have no interest on Alexa. I'm just a fan of good basic engineering. I remain to be convinced ATMOS is a benefit in the home. I get a really good 360 sound stage with 7.1, and the studios pretty much all produce 5.1, which is a pity, as good 7.1 easily bests good 5.1.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder what Denon’s version of the Marantz’s SR8012 will look like.
I'm guessing there will not be one, at least not 2017-2018.

The last big Denon was the X7200, which has the same $3,000 MSRP as the new SR8012.

So I'm thinking Denon/Marantz may just have 1 "flagship" model in the SR8012 and Denon will just have the X6400.

I notice the power for the SR8012 is 140WPC x 11Ch, not 150WPC x 9Ch like the Denon X7200.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's for the AV7704 pre-pro. The AV7703 was the same $2,200 price.

If they come out with the AV8803 or 8804, it will probably be $4,000 just like the AV8802.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

The last big Denon was the X7200, which has the same $3,000 MSRP as the new SR8012.

So I'm thinking Denon/Marantz may just have 1 "flagship" model in the SR8012 and Denon will just have the X6400.

I notice the power for the SR8012 is 140WPC x 11Ch, not 150WPC x 9Ch like the Denon X7200.
I'd love to see one of these get measured ACD (not useful, I know, but interesting) to see what actual output they are capable of. My 4300x is 9ch and with how light it is I don't believe it's capable of the output it states.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'd love to see one of these get measured ACD (not useful, I know, but interesting) to see what actual output they are capable of. My 4300x is 9ch and with how light it is I don't believe it's capable of the output it states.
Yeah the X4000 series output about 92W x 7Ch. I bet 9Ch would be about 70s WPC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's because you are comparing it to the AV7704 prepro. The upcoming AV8803 will for sure cost more than the SR8012 AVR. You have the AV8003 so I doubt you would want to downgrade (everything aside from processing and the latest features) to the AV7704.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I read from somewhere about the X7200WA replacement, rumor has it that it won't have a radio tuner.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I read from somewhere about the X7200WA replacement, rumor has it that it won't have a radio tuner.
What's a radio? :D

I think last time I used the radio was when I was trying to listen to the local news in my car about the tornado warnings.

Last time I used the radio at home was 15 or 16 years ago. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What's a radio? :D

I think last time I used the radio was when I was trying to listen to the local news in my car about the tornado warnings.

Last time I used the radio at home was 15 or 16 years ago. :D

I don't use the tuner at all, used to have a separate Pioneer tuner but don't even know where it is now.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
With greater IoT integration comes a greater need for privacy and security. How goes D&M position themselves on this? Is there any way to hold them accountable for this? I recall something about LG, Visio and Samsung TVs having egregious privacy violations. Something on the lines of unencrypted text transmitted to be collected on servers.

I've disabled the option to send anonimized usage data. I don't want to have an advanced computer degree to reverse engineer personal data bring surreptitiously sent form my AV gear.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
None of the mass market receivers tofay have the robust power supplies of 10-12 years ago. Look at my AVR-X3300 review to get an idea of what you will get with ACD.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

I'm might be interested in that pre pro down the road. I won't be putting in any ceiling speakers though. I have no interest on Alexa. I'm just a fan of good basic engineering. I remain to be convinced ATMOS is a benefit in the home. I get a really good 360 sound stage with 7.1, and the studios pretty much all produce 5.1, which is a pity, as good 7.1 easily bests good 5.1.
You should buy my Denon AVP-A1HDCI if you,have no interest in Atmos. They don't make processors like this anymore. Fully differential circuits from input to put, class A drivers, quad Burr Brown DACS. It produced the best measurements I've ever seen in a preamp. I hope i can find an audiophile that will appreciate this gem.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You should buy my Demon AVP-A1HDCI if you,have no interest in Atmos. They don't make processors like this anymore. Fully differential circuits from input to put, class A drivers, quad Burr Brown DACS. It produced the best measurements I've ever seen in a preamp. I hope i can find an audiophile that will appreciate this gem.
I will appreciate such gem but can't afford one.:D

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
None of the mass market receivers tofay have the robust power supplies of 10-12 years ago. Look at my AVR-X3300 review to get an idea of what you will get with ACD.
That's not the only thing that's not as robust :eek:. There's no free lunch.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Found the rumor source about the Denon flagship AVR-X7400H (?). A few months ago jdsmoothie figured it would be Dec this year. Now they are talking Spring 2018.

https://www.avforums.com/news/denon-launch-new-x6400-x4400-and-x3400-av-receivers.13647
I think somebody was just dreaming. :)

I will appreciate such gem but can't afford one.:D
Come on. Only about $3K. The Marantz AV8802 is $4K. I wish I hadn't spent $5000 on my AVR-5308CI few years ago. Then I could have bought another AVP-A1HDCI. Hindsight.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis