Marantz Unveils SR7012, SR8012 AV Receivers and AV7704 Processor with Alexa Skill

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
As things stand now, I could only justify doing it for the latest HDMI spec when I take the UHD plunge.
Excellent strategy!
Justify one upgrade as response to another upgrade!
That's the way you do it!:cool:

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Excellent strategy!
Justify one upgrade as response to another upgrade!
That's the way you do it!:cool:
Hehe!

I also have a pair of Behringer monitors and SVS PB12U on loaner to a friend who's taking about giving them back.

For now, I seem to be inoculated for any upgraditis well and good. The ailments prevented include,
TV to projector
PS3 to PS4
Sierra 2 to Sierra Tower RT
X4000 to ?
AA to Philharmonitor
Sub in bedroom

I know when I finally cave, it'll be a flood of changes.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Interesting that the pre/pro costs less than the receivers, which it should.

I'm might be interested in that pre pro down the road. I won't be putting in any ceiling speakers though. I have no interest on Alexa. I'm just a fan of good basic engineering. I remain to be convinced ATMOS is a benefit in the home. I get a really good 360 sound stage with 7.1, and the studios pretty much all produce 5.1, which is a pity, as good 7.1 easily bests good 5.1.
I am curious, where do think the most benefit will come from, adding 2 additional speakers to a 5.1 setup (Front or back)? Am curious about the best use of the 4 unused channels in my receiver. I really don't have any inclination to install speakers in the ceiling for Atmos either. I know you are not a fan of receivers, but I'm just asking your opinion, thanks.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
AA to Philharmonitor
There may be other factors in your decision, but now that the Philharmonic BMR's are only $1350 (since Dennis can get a PE box for it), I would have a hard time paying $1100 for the Philharmonitors (despite their being a great deal compared to other manufacturers)!
Then you could move your Sierra2's into the bedroom;)
I expect that the BMR would likely beat the Sierra Tower RT in sheer performance (but you may be looking for a certain sound signature).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would take $3k + shipping. It's a loss but I'd rather sell to an appreciative audioholic than a Craigslist killer ;)
Denon AVP-A1HDCI w/ Audyssey XT32 for $3K is a sweet deal.

I'm sure somebody will snatch that up. :D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
There may be other factors in your decision, but now that the Philharmonic BMR's are only $1350 (since Dennis can get a PE box for it), I would have a hard time paying $1100 for the Philharmonitors (despite their being a great deal compared to other manufacturers)!
Then you could move your Sierra2's into the bedroom;)

Back to the drawing board :D.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
The Marantz SR8012 has yet to show up on the Denon website! Maybe they will wait for Denon's new flagship?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The Marantz SR8012 has yet to show up on the Denon website! Maybe they will wait for Denon's new flagship?
With today's formats I see it getting difficult to sell flagship AVRs. 11 channels of amplification and multiple dacs, large hdmi boards, etc. make longevity tough unless used as a pre pro basically. Hard to beat mid level AVRs with preouts these days.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
With today's formats I see it getting difficult to sell flagship AVRs. 11 channels of amplification and multiple dacs, large hdmi boards, etc. make longevity tough unless used as a pre pro basically. Hard to beat mid level AVRs with preouts these days.
I actually prefer not more than 7 channels, as long as there are enough pre-outs for people who need more. With 4 more amp channels, there is less room for a larger power supply and air flow, not a good thing at all.

T

TwinXM

Audiophyte
I'm wondering why SR8012 is listed on the Marantz UK website but not on the US... Is Europe getting it first?

SeismicHT

SeismicHT

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys. I’m in a 7005 now and have been for years. I’ve been kicking the cab down the road to upgrade but I think I’m finally ready. My question has to do with Audessey. I’m debating whether to invest in a MiniDSP88A with Bass Management or a new Pre Pro. I run several subs and if I go with a Pre Pro I would like Audessey to be robust enough to do what Dirac does and be able to configure multiple subs all in one place. If not then I will stick with my 7705 and get the 88BM from MiniDSP.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey guys. I’m in a 7005 now and have been for years. I’ve been kicking the cab down the road to upgrade but I think I’m finally ready. My question has to do with Audessey. I’m debating whether to invest in a MiniDSP88A with Bass Management or a new Pre Pro. I run several subs and if I go with a Pre Pro I would like Audessey to be robust enough to do what Dirac does and be able to configure multiple subs all in one place. If not then I will stick with my 7705 and get the 88BM from MiniDSP.

Thanks guys.

In my experience, XT32 SubEQHT works significantly better than XT in the 7005. The lowest cost route for you at this moment is to replace the 7005 with the $800 X4300H. It has been at that price for a while now so I will be surprised if they are not sold out before Black Friday. I tried the minidsp without Dirac Live and I concluded that it's not worth adding it to my 8801/XT32. To get significant improvements over XT32 SubEQHT, I believe you will need minidsp with Dirac Live, then the cost goes way up.

SeismicHT

SeismicHT

Audioholic Intern
In my experience, XT32 SubEQHT works significantly better than XT in the 7005. The lowest cost route for you at this moment is to replace the 7005 with the $800 X4300H. It has been at that price for a while now so I will be surprised if they are not sold out before Black Friday. I tried the minidsp without Dirac Live and I concluded that it's not worth adding it to my 8801/XT32. To get significant improvements over XT32 SubEQHT, I believe you will need minidsp with Dirac Live, then the cost goes way up.
Great recommendation! Do they make a pre pro version of the 4300? I’m running all XLR connections and Pro Amps so id like to continue taking advantage of them, however I can convert over to RCA if need be, as that price for those features is really awesome.

Oh and for MiniDSP with Dirac, the secret is this if you’re only wanting sub integration (sub output of prepro or receiver to input 1 of the MiniDSP) buy the 2x4HD and add the Dirac software plugin. This way you don’t have to drop 1000$ on the 88A. If you have more than 4 subs then the 4x10 with Dirac Plugin I believe will work, but i know for sure the 2x4 HD with plugin will get you Dirac x4

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Great recommendation! Do they make a pre pro version of the 4300? I’m running all XLR connections and Pro Amps so id like to continue taking advantage of them, however I can convert over to RCA if need be, as that price for those features is really awesome.

Oh and for MiniDSP with Dirac, the secret is this if you’re only wanting sub integration (sub output of prepro or receiver to input 1 of the MiniDSP) buy the 2x4HD and add the Dirac software plugin. This way you don’t have to drop 1000$ on the 88A. If you have more than 4 subs then the 4x10 with Dirac Plugin I believe will work, but i know for sure the 2x4 HD with plugin will get you Dirac x4

Yes, Gene may still be interested in selling his avp-a1hdci. If you can get it for under 3K, spend a few hundreds to update it to XT32 then you will have the best on the market.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/denon-avp-a1hdci

https://hometheaterreview.com/denon-announces-hardware-and-firmware-upgrades-for-avr-5308ci-and-avp-a1hdci/

On the other hand if your interconnects are not very long, say <25 ft, RCA will just be as good, likely better based on test bench data I have seen. I did own the AV7005 for a couple of years, same difference as the AVR-4308CI it replaced.

SeismicHT

SeismicHT

Audioholic Intern
Yes, Gene may still be interested in selling his avp-a1hdci. If you can get it for under 3K, spend a few hundreds to update it to XT32 then you will have the best on the market.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/denon-avp-a1hdci

https://hometheaterreview.com/denon-announces-hardware-and-firmware-upgrades-for-avr-5308ci-and-avp-a1hdci/

On the other hand if your interconnects are not very long, say <25 ft, RCA will just be as good, likely better based on test bench data I have seen. I did own the AV7005 for a couple of years, same difference as the AVR-4308CI it replaced.
Thanks! I’m going to seriously look into these. Last question, Audessey Pro, will it allow me to customize for example Mains to Sub crossover slopes and freqs? What else might a Audessey Pro option and kit bring?

Thanks guys. Great info!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks! I’m going to seriously look into these. Last question, Audessey Pro, will it allow me to customize for example Mains to Sub crossover slopes and freqs? What else might a Audessey Pro option and kit bring?

Thanks guys. Great info!!

I have no experience with the Pro, but the newer units (such as the AVR-X4300H, SR6011 and up) have the $20 Audyssey editor app that probably can do everything the Pro can, but for home users. Pogre reported that the App did not work as promised, on his Marantz SR6011 (IIRC), Others elsewhere had reported success so it may be a hit and miss thing, mostly "miss" I guess, until they release new FW fixes.

SeismicHT

SeismicHT

Audioholic Intern
I watched a short video on you tube on it. I think that would do the trick. Just as long as I can manipulate and fine tune the “auto” settings esp on the main to sub xover.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis