Looking for thoughts on ATI amps

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just spoke to a fellow in Chicago who told me that Krell is in "another class altogether" relative to McIntosh.
Yeah another money class. The more expensive they cost, the better they sound. Just wait till you listen to those $200K amps. They are really in another class altogether. :D

Another fact, everything new sounds better than the previous generation. Another class altogether. :D

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
Yeah another money class. The more expensive they cost, the better they sound. Just wait till you listen to those $200K amps. They are really in another class altogether. :D
Another fact, everything new sounds better than the previous generation. Another class altogether. :D
You know what? Krell power amps are in a different class than Mac: Class A. So, technically speaking, Mr. Chicago wasn't lying, right? :p

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
Krell aren't just class A....

I don't know much at all about Krell power amps, obviously, but the multichannel power amp he was telling me about is Class A -- I just looked it up... Let's relax and have a bit of fun, fellas. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know much at all about Krell power amps, obviously, but the multichannel power amp he was telling me about is Class A -- I just looked it up... Let's relax and have a bit of fun, fellas. :)
I wouldn't put much into the various arguments about amp class designations....it's still the overall design/implementation that counts....and may have overcome the limitations of the tech compared to years past....especially someone who considers autoformers on ss amps are needed.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

at 1 watt output could anyone really notice a difference? A shoot out between the top feeders :p meaning top of the food chain, Krell, Mac, Pass Lab? Middle feeders meaning, middle of the food chain, ATi Parasound. Middle feeders Yamaha, Denon, Marantz AVR's and Outlaw, Monolith or even bottom feeders :p:D means the very lowend of the food chain, between RadioShack umm I mean = Emotiva and Pyle?:cool: The best sounding amps! :D was Bob Carvers TFM amps Especially when he added the holograph generator! Even better than Legendary John Curls Parasound Amp designs!:D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You know what? Krell power amps are in a different class than Mac: Class A. So, technically speaking, Mr. Chicago wasn't lying, right? :p
If that’s true, it’s in a class BELOW everything else since no body in their right minds these days should make space-heater amps that are so inefficient. Unless they intend to also use them as space heaters in the winter time. :D

These days, smarter engineers are moving toward closer to 100% efficiency, pure power, and cool-operating amps, not volcano dinosaur amps that were made a 1000 years ago by less experienced engineers. :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
If that’s true, it’s in a class BELOW everything else since no body in their right minds these days should make space-heater amps that are so inefficient. Unless they intend to also use them as space heaters in the winter time. :D

These days, smarter engineers are moving toward closer to 100% efficiency, pure power, and cool-operating amps, not volcano dinosaur amps that were made a 1000 years ago by less experienced engineers. :D
Yeah!! plus you have to have 50 amp breaker's! Remember them Big Amps Emotiva put out a few years ago? 1000 watts! the one's that where over 100 lbs each! that no one can get repaired anymore.:D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Amps to consider: ATI, Theta Digital, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Classe, Parasound, Anthem, Bryston, Krell, McIntosh.

Now choose the one that is in your budget because they will all sound great :D

My personal favorite - Y.......yeah you know it. I don't have to say. :D

I'm also very interested in the new Class D amps (a whole new class altogether :D) from RBH.

Gene's new RBH speakers are being powered by these RBH amps. So I look forward to Gene's review on these new amps.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I hope once you find your next amp that everything that is hooked up to it is all AudioQuest cables. If you don't use AudioQuest cables it's not real sound. Also, make sure to get the little cable blocks to put on the floor so your cables don't touch the floor. Just my two cents.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hope once you find your next amp that everything that is hooked up to it is all AudioQuest cables. If you don't use AudioQuest cables it's not real sound. Also, make sure to get the little cable blocks to put on the floor so your cables don't touch the floor. Just my two cents.
I actually prefer Kimber Kable myself. ;)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I am a nothing fanboy, but I do like the Yamaha 5000. For $3,000 less, the MC302 seems like a better value, definitely better specs and a lot more powerful.

View attachment 39819View attachment 39820
The MC302 has better specs and is more powerful, but it uses a transformer in its output stages. Even though it has a more appealing front, would you buy one? Personally I would not.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The MC302 has better specs and is more powerful, but it uses a transformer in its output stages. Even though it has a more appealing front, would you buy one? Personally I would not.
I wish they would get rid of that autotransformer at the output and pass on the savings. All that thing does is for "impedance matching" that is practically useless for real world use.

Of course I won't buy any McIntosh amps myself, I posted that one only because I was amazed see one could be had for $3,000 less than the Yamaha 5000 that actually has lower specs.

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
Yes, I almost forgot about the blocks. We wouldn't want our floor to effect the Xf factor in the overall complex impedance presented to the new power amp we choose. The f representing "floor," of course...and the bigger the cable, the higher the Xf factor, right?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis