LG OLED C1 Series 65 for $1800 or is there something else to take a look at?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Just seeing what is out there for $1800. Looking a PQ, reasonable budget, and size.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Get the 77" one. It will make you 12" happier. As a rule, your TV is always too small.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Get it!

I pulled the trigger as soon as the 65" model came in at ~$1700. It was a bit more than that out of pocket, but came from Crutchfield with a few hundred $ gift card, which I used to purchase the TV stand that I needed too.

NOTE-- LG is the ONLY manufacturer of large OLED panels. So, even the Sony Bravia is an LG panel (with Sony electronics).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
How does Sony Bravia compare?
The cost difference to the better A90J series is not worth it IMO unless you have money to spare. In which case you should get the 77" I mentioned.

Not sure where you would find a A90 close to the price of a C1. It may be okay at a couple hundred bucks, but not at $1,000. That would really make you feel unhappy.
The A80 series isn't really an improvement over the LG. You get a bit better build quality, and out of the box Sony color accuracy is typically better. But, not much makes it worthwhile if spending more.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
My youngest Son 35 old has, Sony's Master Series OLED 77" absolutely gorgeous picture. No other LED or QLED of any kind beats the colors, contrast or the black level of LG or Sony's OLED. One of those brand's will be in my setup soon this year.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
The cost difference to the better A90J series is not worth it IMO unless you have money to spare. In which case you should get the 77" I mentioned.

Not sure where you would find a A90 close to the price of a C1. It may be okay at a couple hundred bucks, but not at $1,000. That would really make you feel unhappy.
The A80 series isn't really an improvement over the LG. You get a bit better build quality, and out of the box Sony color accuracy is typically better. But, not much makes it worthwhile if spending more.
I would probably agree, don't spend a ton more on the Sony A80J if that's the other option you're considering.

I got the A80CJ at Costco back around the end of November when it and the C1 were both going for $1800, a friend got the LG. Both are great sets. The LG is probably a more solid choice if you care more about gaming, but otherwise I do prefer the ootb tuning of Sony TVs over LG (which you can change of course).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm gonna mention too-- I absolutely love the LG magic remote! It works similar to a Wiimote, and they nailed it. Using the LG magic remote and CEC functionality has worked out very well for me and in my setup. It has allowed for a much simplified control scheme that is easy to teach to people visiting.

I was very skeptical of this remote, until I actually used it for a couple of days. It would be very difficult for me to justify using anything different at this point.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I've had the C1 since last May. I picked it over the A80J because I game on Series X a lot. The picture quality is great but WebOS is pretty annoying. I don't even use the apps, I just switch inputs between console and AVR and occasionally use OTA TV. I turned off auto updates and now it nags me every time I turn it on that there's an update available and I have to click through that to begin using the TV.

If I had to do it again, I might decide the Sony was good enough for gaming. Sony processing is probably better and it's more color accurate out of the box. I would hope the Google TV is better than WebOS.

Jim

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Only thing I hate about my LG OLED is the "Magic Remote" as there is no option to permanently disable it and it drives me crazy sometimes. Have been considering 3rd party remote but haven't bothered to spend more on it. Don't understand it why there is no option to permanently use it as regular remote.. OLED is the way to go for picture quality, what ever brand you decide to go with.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Only thing I hate about my LG OLED is the "Magic Remote" as there is no option to permanently disable it and it drives me crazy sometimes. Have been considering 3rd party remote but haven't bothered to spend more on it. Don't understand it why there is no option to permanently use it as regular remote.. OLED is the way to go for picture quality, what ever brand you decide to go with.
Personal preference, I guess. See post #10, I love the magic remote and really have no desire to use anything else now.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Just seeing what is out there for $1800. Looking a PQ, reasonable budget, and size.
I recently got the A1 and for a 60hz set, it's fantastic.

I prefer Sony due to processing and such, but they're behind on the HDMI stuff. The LG is technically more "up to date".

The remote is neat, but I don't use TV remotes so that's a moot point for me, but it does work very well for what it is.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I just got the C1 this past Sunday to replace a 10 year old Panasonic Plasma. It looks fantastic! I've streamed some 4k content from a roku and it looks pretty darn good. 1080p looks great too. My source is a laptop which unfortunately is only hdmi 1.4 so my refresh rate is limited to 24hz.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I just got the C1 this past Sunday to replace a 10 year old Panasonic Plasma. It looks fantastic! I've streamed some 4k content from a roku and it looks pretty darn good. 1080p looks great too. My source is a laptop which unfortunately is only hdmi 1.4 so my refresh rate is limited to 24hz.
Use the built in apps or Roku over the laptop. You are missing out on a lot of features with an HDMI 1.4 connection.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Use the built in apps or Roku over the laptop. You are missing out on a lot of features with an HDMI 1.4 connection.
Indeed, I use the builtin apps on my LG CX for Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ and Amazon Prime.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Indeed, I use the builtin apps on my LG CX for Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ and Amazon Prime.
I had a thread about this issue here in the displays forum and got tons of great info. I do now use the roku stick,. And I think I'll explore the built in apps in the next few days.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I had a thread about this issue here in the displays forum and got tons of great info. I do now use the roku stick,. And I think I'll explore the built in apps in the next few days.
Disney+ has some movies in IMAX but you'll need the built-in app as far as I know. Not sure if that works with a ROKU stick.

I've an older Chromecast (1080p only) that does not see so much use any more apart from some occasional screen casting, and currently I don't see any value for me to upgrade to a newer Chromecast with 4K support. Most likely it will be an downgrade as navigation is much easier using the built-in apps than Chromecast when I have a Logitech Harmony remote.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis