LG OLED C1 Series 65 for $1800 or is there something else to take a look at?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Indeed, I use the builtin apps on my LG CX for Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ and Amazon Prime.
Unfortunately, it seems that the LG built-in app for Plex has recently broken, and it looks to be due to an expired security cert.

This is the problem with the built-in apps, how long will they be properly supported and updated.

I just use the Plex app on my Xbox now, it will have better long term support and updates.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Unfortunately, it seems that the LG built-in app for Plex has recently broken, and it looks to be due to an expired security cert.

This is the problem with the built-in apps, how long will they be properly supported and updated.

I just use the Plex app on my Xbox now, it will have better long term support and updates.
I think one of the better things I've seen is that BenQ and some other projector manufacturers are using a external streaming device for the 'smart' functionality. This makes a lot of sense, and should really be implemented with TVs. Where a TV may have a processing setup which runs a bit short on specs after five or six years, if you could replace those smarts, easily, and in some standard fashion, then a TV could last for ten or more years with consistent upgrades and solid performance. The TV wouldn't need any certification, just the device inside the TV, and that could be used and upgraded for years and years to come.

In much the same way that Roku devices last for years, but once they are outdated, you just get a new one.

Which is, of course, why you should just use a Roku to begin with. :D

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

Absolutely an issue [edit: of unsupported apps], and I intend to solve that problem with an external streaming device when that times come. So, for now the built-in works fine for me for these apps I currently use.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

No wonder my sister in law keeps asking me if plex is working.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think one of the better things I've seen is that BenQ and some other projector manufacturers are using a external streaming device for the 'smart' functionality. This makes a lot of sense, and should really be implemented with TVs. Where a TV may have a processing setup which runs a bit short on specs after five or six years, if you could replace those smarts, easily, and in some standard fashion, then a TV could last for ten or more years with consistent upgrades and solid performance. The TV wouldn't need any certification, just the device inside the TV, and that could be used and upgraded for years and years to come.

In much the same way that Roku devices last for years, but once they are outdated, you just get a new one.

Which is, of course, why you should just use a Roku to begin with. :D
I think Samsung has dabbled into this approach?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
No wonder my sister in law keeps asking me if plex is working.
Yup, it broke at the end of 2021. I had similar questions for my server host, and wanted to be sure I didn't get booted from the server before I started digging into it. Turns out, it is a problem with LG TV security cert, didn't get renewed, etc. You could probably use Google and find the same info that I did. You could allow Plex to make insecure cxns, and let the server allow insecure cxns, and it will work again. That is a very poor solution to this problem, and likely to cause other bigger problems!

I already had my XBOX on the same TV, went there, loaded the Plex app, and all worked fine, as expected.

EDIT-- Yeah, if your server and host are on the same network, this is a non-issue.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yup, it broke at the end of 2021. I had similar questions for my server host, and wanted to be sure I didn't get booted from the server before I started digging into it. Turns out, it is a problem with LG TV security cert, didn't get renewed, etc. You could probably use Google and find the same info that I did. You could allow Plex to make insecure cxns, and let the server allow insecure cxns, and it will work again. That is a very poor solution to this problem, and likely to cause other bigger problems!

I already had my XBOX on the same TV, went there, loaded the Plex app, and all worked fine, as expected.

EDIT-- Yeah, if your server and host are on the same network, this is a non-issue.
That must be related to the Letsencrypt expiring a ton of certs. I bet theirs was one of them.

jinjuku

jinjuku

That must be related to the Letsencrypt expiring a ton of certs. I bet theirs was one of them.
Let's Encrypt only ever issues 90 day cert's. You're supposed to setup a script in CRON that renews every 60 days giving you a 30 day window to sort problems out.

I would need to see the client side pka to tell you who the CA issuing authority is.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Let's Encrypt only ever issues 90 day cert's. You're supposed to setup a script in CRON that renews every 60 days giving you a 30 day window to sort problems out.

I would need to see the client side pka to tell you who the CA issuing authority is.
Last time I checked that's who Plex was using. At least on the server side.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I understand peoples desire for not having all this stuff built into a TV. It's 100% abandonware. OR they will turn it into a pay to play subscription treadmill service.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I double checked, and the article I found on the topic is indeed the Letsencrypt problem. At least that is what it claimed, I don't know enough knowledge to fact check that.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I double checked, and the article I found on the topic is indeed the Letsencrypt problem. At least that is what it claimed, I don't know enough knowledge to fact check that.
I found some stuff on Reddit and other forums talking about it being the same issue, so I'm not sure how to fact check other than Plex releasing something stating that's the issue and they're working on it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

other than Plex releasing something stating that's the issue and they're working on it.
The writing is on the wall: You buy a TV with all this integrated and the manu is going to abandon it at some point.

Plex is just going to show you how to disable the mechanism that requires encryption going forward.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The writing is on the wall: You buy a TV with all this integrated and the manu is going to abandon it at some point.

Plex is just going to show you how to disable the mechanism that requires encryption going forward.
I agree with what @BMXTRIX said in another thread. Projector manufacturers are bundling Android TV dongles with their projectors so they can have smart features. TV manufactures could easily do the same, and that would solve a lot of this headache.

It would also remove their planned obsolesce that makes people buy a new TV when theirs is "broken" because an app stopped working.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Been doing a bunch of reading and also have to give consideration to the TCL 75r646. Many reviews have had it coming very close to the LG in over all PQ while giving the nod that the LG is king

I have an Integra DTR 80.5 so I assume that using ARC and just feeding the TV 4K direct from my XBOX One S will work out of the box.

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
I've had the C1 for several months now and here are some observations. First and foremost these TV's don't like you using your AVR as the main hub. It likes you connecting everything to the TV and eARCing the sound to the AVR. I lost all communication between my Pioneer SC-LX 704 and the C1. with everything hooked to my AVR. (I only have my cable box and Blu-Ray) Inputs stopped switching automatically even the volume stopped working through the LG remote. I hooked my cable back to the TV but I kept my Blu-Ray hooked to the AVR. The issue seemed to be with my cable so far no issues with my Blu-Ray being hooked to the AVR. Another thing I ran the Spears & Munsil Blu-Ray disc. Despite what you hear the Cinema mode was the most accurate out of the box in terms of contrast and brightness. Better than Filmmaker Mode.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Been doing a bunch of reading and also have to give consideration to the TCL 75r646. Many reviews have had it coming very close to the LG in over all PQ while giving the nod that the LG is king

I have an Integra DTR 80.5 so I assume that using ARC and just feeding the TV 4K direct from my XBOX One S will work out of the box.
My only gripe about the lower end tv companies is that they still use "older" panels that don't seem to last as long. I've only purchase one TV from a non top tier brand (Vizio) and it lasted two years before deciding to slowly turn purple. It's apparently an issue with a lot of LCDs these days, even Samsung.

Two years just isn't enough time. I've only had my OLED for a little while, but I know I wouldn't even consider buying anything else after seeing how good it looks. I got the cheap A1 series too, and have no complaints.

However, at the price they want for a 75" TV that has THAT good a picture according to rtings, I'd do it. It's also much brighter than the A1, but I haven't had any issues with mine not being bright enough. When my Panasonic VT60 finally dies I may have to give TCL a serious look if I can't find a deal on another OLED.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
So I’ve had my C1 for two months now. Before that I had a TCLR617 65”, Vizio PQ65-F1 65”, TCL R635 65” and a Samsung QN90 65”. I upgraded every 6-9 months for a while there. I was so focused on getting a tv that output 1000+ nits for real content that I was completely ignorant of the multiple contributing factors that make up a quality HDR10 or Dolby Vision image. That being said I would never buy another LED LCD or QLED. With the C1 you have four HDMI 2.1 (40 GBPS) inputs, support for e-ARC & ARC (no DTS support however), it’s the only display that can output DV 120hz, Filmmaker mode, two ISF modes that are relatively accurate out of the box and the magic remote is pretty cool. I’ve found no issues using e-ARC or bypassing it and using three different models of AVR with the C1. It also has CalMAN Autocal, I’m very much a novice in terms of TV calibration but using a $150 used iDisplay Pro Plus I got off eBay and the $149 CalMAN Home software in a few hours I was able to calibrate SDR and HDR10 with a vast difference in the before and after color errors. I paid a little over $2000 out the door with a 5 year warranty from PC Richard and Son, I sprang for the warranty as it covers burn in and they stated if I got it they would just replace the TV. I had never had an OLED and the threat of burn in was what kept me away for so long. That being said I do a lot of movie watching and gaming on my PC and Series X. I went from a TV that could output close to 2,000 nits to one that uses 800 nits for its HGIG setting and I honestly don’t notice a difference in a negative way. What I do notice is that in my dark room, native UHD HDR & DV content both on disc and streaming looks exponentially more pleasing, with no banding, color bleeds or artifacts. I’ve personally never had issues with e-ARC and was able to pass Dolby True HD to my Emotiva 13.2 Pre/Pro and Denon x4300h but now that I have a 6700h I connect all of my sources to that and run a single output to the C1 and it’s been absolutely flawless.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
using a $150 used iDisplay Pro Plus I got off eBay and the $149 CalMAN Home software in a few hours I was able to calibrate SDR and HDR10
That sounds like a $300 and a 3 hour solution to a problem I don't have.

Tell me more. :D

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
That sounds like a $300 and a 3 hour solution to a problem I don't have.

Tell me more. :D
Hey Alex! I meant to tell you I’ll be in your area next week and I planned on buying back the SVS if that’s still an option. To be fair the C1 was great out of the box but I figured why not calibrate it, everything else in my setup is calibrated. The factory out of the box color error in filmmaker mode for HDR, DV and SDR was lower than any QLED or LED I’ve ever measured.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis