Last system I will ever need to own

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's not good. I'm wondering if some of these AVRs out there really do function with external power amps connected. It's not like it's a 'handshake' issue since its RCAs and not HDMI. I haven't tried connecting any external amps to my X4400H yet, maybe I should. The only external amp I have right now is the 2-channel Crown XLS 2502.
Well, the internal amps are working for you, so I don't see the point of trying external amps. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AC Infinity 120 mm x 3 fans atop CX-A5100, AT2005, and AT3005.

Now my pre-pro and amps stay cool. :cool:

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I must admit, that looks very impressive. It looks like something you would see in a movie theater.

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Nice set up....Did you add the fans ? I hope they are pulling instead of pushing ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why Yamaha?
My AVP-A1HD (MSRP $7500) croaked after 8 YR. Yamaha is supposed to be #1 in reliability (M Code). And I serendipitously fell in love with the CX-A5100 (MSRP $2500) after auditioning it in my HT, which is the salient reason. :D

From movies to TV shows to music, the Yamaha sounded at least as good as the AVP-A1........until I installed the ATMOS ceiling speakers (RBH VM-815/FB-C8) and watched some ATMOS and DTSX movies and everything else using DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixer).

I’m still experimenting with these new sound features (ATMOS, DTSX, DSU), and I will probably say a lot more after a while.

Last night I watched the Dolby ATMOS Demo BD 2014. And some scenes (Amaze, Leaf, Unfold, Conductor, Race) were absolutely phenomenal. I wish all ATMOS and DTSX contents sound like these demo scenes. :D

But from now on, when people come over my house, the first thing I will play is this ATMOS demo disc. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nice set up....Did you add the fans ? I hope they are pulling instead of pushing ?
Yes, all the fans are pulling air upward.

Looks like the Alien creature with the fail. :D

Last edited:
djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Wow, it’s been awhile. I really miss following this thread. You need to buy new crap more often.

DJ

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My AVP-A1HD (MSRP $7500) croaked after 8 YR. Yamaha is supposed to be #1 in reliability (M Code). And I serendipitously fell in love with the CX-A5100 (MSRP $2500) after auditioning it in my HT, which is the salient reason. :D

From movies to TV shows to music, the Yamaha sounded at least as good as the AVP-A1........until I installed the ATMOS ceiling speakers (RBH VM-815/FB-C8) and watched some ATMOS and DTSX movies and everything else using DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixer).

I’m still experimenting with these new sound features (ATMOS, DTSX, DSU), and I will probably say a lot more after a while.

Last night I watched the Dolby ATMOS Demo BD 2014. And some scenes (Amaze, Leaf, Unfold, Conductor, Race) were absolutely phenomenal. I wish all ATMOS and DTSX contents sound like these demo scenes. :D

But from now on, when people come over my house, the first thing I will play is this ATMOS demo disc. :D
I'm sure the Yamaha area great, but my Marantz 7009 and 8801 are still going strong, and so is the 8802a, but that isn't nearly as old ;) Marantz hasn't failed me yet, otherwise I might be tempted to try another brand.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm sure the Yamaha area great, but my Marantz 7009 and 8801 are still going strong, and so is the 8802a, but that isn't nearly as old ;) Marantz hasn't failed me yet, otherwise I might be tempted to try another brand.
Yeah the 8802a is still pretty new.

The CX-A5100 sounds awesome, and ATMOS/DTSX can be extremely amazing. But I think if my AVP-A1 were still working perfectly, I would still be using it. :D

Grassy’s AVP-A1 also croaked and he went to the 8802a (which had some issues (not sure which), then went to the McIntosh Pre-Pro (I forget which model).

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah the 8802a is still pretty new.

The CX-A5100 sounds awesome, and ATMOS/DTSX can be extremely amazing. But I think if my AVP-A1 were still working perfectly, I would still be using it. :D

Grassy’s AVP-A1 also croaked and he went to the 8802a (which had some issues (not sure which), then went to the McIntosh Pre-Pro (I forget which model).
I agree, the upmixing is very good between the ATMOS upmixing and DTSX Neural X. I also went with the AURO 3D upgrade on the 8802a. Personally I think, in terms of height channels, Auro is the best. The only thing that kills me is that Auro 3D doesn't use the rear channels on the Marantz. I can't wait until Auromax makes its way into a receiver, but I'm guessing we're a few years away from that at least.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I agree, the upmixing is very good between the ATMOS upmixing and DTSX Neural X. I also went with the AURO 3D upgrade on the 8802a. Personally I think, in terms of height channels, Auro is the best. The only thing that kills me is that Auro 3D doesn't use the rear channels on the Marantz. I can't wait until Auromax makes its way into a receiver, but I'm guessing we're a few years away from that at least.
Possibly a few years away from Auromax, hopefully there wont be a charge for it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought I heard Gene mentioned somewhere that Auro 3D seems to be fading away in the US market.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I can’t remember if he said fading away, or just not catching on in the first place. It seems to be alive and well overseas. I think Auro really has the overhead heights figured out and not that DTS and Atmos aren’t close, but Auro’s upmixing is currently, subjectively, superior I think.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can’t remember if he said fading away, or just not catching on in the first place. It seems to be alive and well overseas. I think Auro really has the overhead heights figured out and not that DTS and Atmos aren’t close, but Auro’s upmixing is currently, subjectively, superior I think.
Maybe that’s one reason Dolby wants all their contents (DD, TrueHD, ATMOS) to be upmix only by DSU, not DTS or Auro. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My four Ceiling Atmos speakers are the RBH VM-815 (FB-C8 rear enclosure).

I have them about 3FT in front of me and 3FT behind me. Ceiling height is 14FT.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis