Last system I will ever need to own

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ratings
6,780 16 6
That's not good. I'm wondering if some of these AVRs out there really do function with external power amps connected. It's not like it's a 'handshake' issue since its RCAs and not HDMI. I haven't tried connecting any external amps to my X4400H yet, maybe I should. The only external amp I have right now is the 2-channel Crown XLS 2502.
Well, the internal amps are working for you, so I don't see the point of trying external amps. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Ratings
6,780 16 6
My AVP-A1HD (MSRP $7500) croaked after 8 YR. Yamaha is supposed to be #1 in reliability (M Code). And I serendipitously fell in love with the CX-A5100 (MSRP $2500) after auditioning it in my HT, which is the salient reason. :D

From movies to TV shows to music, the Yamaha sounded at least as good as the AVP-A1........until I installed the ATMOS ceiling speakers (RBH VM-815/FB-C8) and watched some ATMOS and DTSX movies and everything else using DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixer).

I’m still experimenting with these new sound features (ATMOS, DTSX, DSU),and I will probably say a lot more after a while.

Last night I watched the Dolby ATMOS Demo BD 2014. And some scenes (Amaze, Leaf, Unfold, Conductor, Race) were absolutely phenomenal. I wish all ATMOS and DTSX contents sound like these demo scenes. :D

But from now on, when people come over my house, the first thing I will play is this ATMOS demo disc. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ratings
4,923 42 1
My AVP-A1HD (MSRP $7500) croaked after 8 YR. Yamaha is supposed to be #1 in reliability (M Code). And I serendipitously fell in love with the CX-A5100 (MSRP $2500) after auditioning it in my HT, which is the salient reason. :D

From movies to TV shows to music, the Yamaha sounded at least as good as the AVP-A1........until I installed the ATMOS ceiling speakers (RBH VM-815/FB-C8) and watched some ATMOS and DTSX movies and everything else using DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixer).

I’m still experimenting with these new sound features (ATMOS, DTSX, DSU),and I will probably say a lot more after a while.

Last night I watched the Dolby ATMOS Demo BD 2014. And some scenes (Amaze, Leaf, Unfold, Conductor, Race) were absolutely phenomenal. I wish all ATMOS and DTSX contents sound like these demo scenes. :D

But from now on, when people come over my house, the first thing I will play is this ATMOS demo disc. :D
I'm sure the Yamaha area great, but my Marantz 7009 and 8801 are still going strong, and so is the 8802a, but that isn't nearly as old ;) Marantz hasn't failed me yet, otherwise I might be tempted to try another brand.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Ratings
6,780 16 6
I'm sure the Yamaha area great, but my Marantz 7009 and 8801 are still going strong, and so is the 8802a, but that isn't nearly as old ;) Marantz hasn't failed me yet, otherwise I might be tempted to try another brand.
Yeah the 8802a is still pretty new.

The CX-A5100 sounds awesome, and ATMOS/DTSX can be extremely amazing. But I think if my AVP-A1 were still working perfectly, I would still be using it. :D

Grassy’s AVP-A1 also croaked and he went to the 8802a (which had some issues (not sure which),then went to the McIntosh Pre-Pro (I forget which model).

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ratings
4,923 42 1
Yeah the 8802a is still pretty new.

The CX-A5100 sounds awesome, and ATMOS/DTSX can be extremely amazing. But I think if my AVP-A1 were still working perfectly, I would still be using it. :D

Grassy’s AVP-A1 also croaked and he went to the 8802a (which had some issues (not sure which),then went to the McIntosh Pre-Pro (I forget which model).
I agree, the upmixing is very good between the ATMOS upmixing and DTSX Neural X. I also went with the AURO 3D upgrade on the 8802a. Personally I think, in terms of height channels, Auro is the best. The only thing that kills me is that Auro 3D doesn't use the rear channels on the Marantz. I can't wait until Auromax makes its way into a receiver, but I'm guessing we're a few years away from that at least.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Samurai
Ratings
944 9 11
I agree, the upmixing is very good between the ATMOS upmixing and DTSX Neural X. I also went with the AURO 3D upgrade on the 8802a. Personally I think, in terms of height channels, Auro is the best. The only thing that kills me is that Auro 3D doesn't use the rear channels on the Marantz. I can't wait until Auromax makes its way into a receiver, but I'm guessing we're a few years away from that at least.
Possibly a few years away from Auromax, hopefully there wont be a charge for it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Ratings
6,780 16 6
I thought I heard Gene mentioned somewhere that Auro 3D seems to be fading away in the US market.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ratings
4,923 42 1
I can’t remember if he said fading away, or just not catching on in the first place. It seems to be alive and well overseas. I think Auro really has the overhead heights figured out and not that DTS and Atmos aren’t close, but Auro’s upmixing is currently, subjectively, superior I think.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Ratings
6,780 16 6
I can’t remember if he said fading away, or just not catching on in the first place. It seems to be alive and well overseas. I think Auro really has the overhead heights figured out and not that DTS and Atmos aren’t close, but Auro’s upmixing is currently, subjectively, superior I think.
Maybe that’s one reason Dolby wants all their contents (DD, TrueHD, ATMOS) to be upmix only by DSU, not DTS or Auro. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Ratings
6,780 16 6
My four Ceiling Atmos speakers are the RBH VM-815 (FB-C8 rear enclosure).

I have them about 3FT in front of me and 3FT behind me. Ceiling height is 14FT.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis