JTR Speakers. They can't be this good!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
First, I'm aware that some speakers still sound very good without measuring well (on-axis, off-axis, SPL vs Distortion, Spectral Decay, etc.).

But are there ANY measurements of these speakers at all that we can post? Any plots that we can post?

I mean aside from the specs listed on the website.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Don't you mean JRT speakers? :p:D Sorry, I couldn't resist (an inside joke for those that read this entire thread :)).
Geez, you are following me all over the board, and catching every Typo Error [Laughing:D]... I guess JTR was easier to type on my QWERTY KB...:)

Thank you Brandon -- now back to KEF R900 Big/Bold/Statement Speakers with the UniQ, Tangerine Waveguide... and a couple 8" Kickers. Unless, you move on up to Phil or HT2-TL's? I am waiting.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
First, I'm aware that some speakers still sound very good without measuring well (on-axis, off-axis, SPL vs Distortion, Spectral Decay, etc.).

But are there ANY measurements of these speakers at all that we can post? Any plots that we can post?

That might be all confidential data, LOL... I always said that if a speaker was GREAT and one is spending 1,000's of $$$ on them, we should be able to get all the measured specs on them!! :):D

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
JTR is correct. You would get the JRT joke if you had read the entire thread - one of the posters consistently misspelled it even after being corrected.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja

I saw some on axis graphs at the JTR Official Forum once. tracking em down would be a hassle but basically they don't look 'amazing' on axis but I also know not to judge anything with a round waveguide based on its zero degree measurement... ~22 - 90 deg tends to be more useful.

Either way I would of course welcome some polars. Non Linear Distortion is tricky - it's not an ;;extremely;; useful measurement compared to linear distortion. It's a ""makes people feel good about their B&Ws type of deal"".

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I've never seen any frequency graphs. I'll ask Jeff this weekend if he has any (I'm swapping to the new crossover and compression driver, so I'll probably ring him at some point anyways - even if its just to say 'it's better' or 'can't hear the difference' lol).

One benefit I've found with the JTRs in real world use is that they sound good 'closer' than a general pro-sound speaker. This /may/ because of the compression driver behind behind the midrange driver helping the time-alignment, but I'm not exactly sure. Usually with speakers this size you need to be much further away for them to image. Again, that's my experience and based on no actual data.

It's a niche speaker...one that fills a sound quality requirement while allowing for large dynamics.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Well I updated the crossover and compression driver last night.

Initial impression:
-Dramatic improvement in the upper treble, extremely smooth and - dare I say using a compression driver.... 'silky' even. I mean, it's really nice sounding.
-Newer crossover is really a piece of art, hefty thing!
-The newer CD doesn't seem to require EQ for near listening, the previous to get it flat in my room I had to slope it down a bit at the top (typical of prosound gear, because outdoors you need that extra treble reach). This perhaps he was able to run it flatter because of the higher power handling of the CD or changes in the crossover. Not sure. Certainly more plug and play though!

I've got some work today to do, I'm going to put my laptop in front of the speakers and see how it is over a range of music (I have a playlist ranging from classical to progressive house) and see about listening fatigue and run through some different styles of music.

I'll also toss on some of my demo movies and give it a go.

Any questions let me know!

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Spent some more time with them on Sunday.

I put Master and Commander on and all I can say is 'wow.' I need to get some JTR rears next.
JTR Speakers |  Single 8HT-lp

Switching between Master and Commander and getting blown away (literally), then flipping to classical and feeling like your there.... is a nice combo

T

therick83

Audiophyte
My installer has now communicated with JTR after my recommendation and is hoping to get a nice setup for me. He initially quoted me Polk RTI-A7. I have been quoted on DefTech and episodes as well, and have been looking after some Triad Golds. But this thread is convincing me more and more towards JTR Quintuples. Thoughts???

I would like to stay withing 5-6K, but might splurge if I can find something that sounds better than those B&W 800's at Best Buy sounded...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My installer has now communicated with JTR after my recommendation and is hoping to get a nice setup for me. He initially quoted me Polk RTI-A7. I have been quoted on DefTech and episodes as well, and have been looking after some Triad Golds. But this thread is convincing me more and more towards JTR Quintuples. Thoughts???

I would like to stay withing 5-6K, but might splurge if I can find something that sounds better than those B&W 800's at Best Buy sounded...
Quite a jump from Polk RTI-A7 to JTR Quintuple :eek: (triple the price)
But I 100% approve it - I'm very unimpressed by most polks before LS/I or LS/iM
models, which are insanely overpriced

What exactly do you expect to get for 5-6k ? 2.0 ? 11.2 (or something in between) ? Including electronics or not? How big is your room?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...JTR Quintuples...5-6K, but might splurge if I can find something that sounds better than those B&W 800's at Best Buy...
They have B&W 800s at Best Buy?:eek:

Have you auditioned JTR? If not, how do you know they will sound better than the B&W 800?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

B&W 800 reference got me confused as well, but It's been ages since last time I visited Magnolia store (my local doesn't have it), but yea ... Kinda hard to imagine Magnolia to have $25,000 speakers

I think we have a case of:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well it's certainly shown on their website:

Wow. So Magnolia Best Buy now sells B&W 802D and McIntosh amps.:eek::D

Can you say "False advertisements", boys and girls? I knew you could. :D

Last edited:
H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
Just because they can order them doesn't mean you'll ever see them in stores.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just because they can order them doesn't mean you'll ever see them in stores.
If they could even order the 800D.:eek:

And then I bet your rights/ privileges to the 30-day return policy is instantly waived.:eek:

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Bestie Buy might show a pretty picture but their site for magnolia doesn't show them even offered under speakers.

Can you say "False advertisements", boys and girls? I knew you could
looks that way. Or maybe it's the new Best Buy Improvements that have been reported in the news. R....I...G....H....T.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Bestie Buy might show a pretty picture but their site for magnolia doesn't show them even offered under speakers.

looks that way. Or maybe it's the new Best Buy Improvements that have been reported in the news. R....I...G....H....T.
I just called my local Best Buy/Magnolia store in Edmond. They said they could NOT even order the 802 Diamond. The highest model they could order is the CM9.:D

So looks like false advertisement to me.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis