JTR Speakers. They can't be this good!!!

R

Robof83

Audioholic
After reading this review

http://www.jtrspeakers.com/12lf_review.html

I am a little in dis-belief. The reviewer claims that these $1500 speakers out-performed the $135,000 Alexandria X2s. Every review I have ever read about the X2s has glorified them beyond belief saying they makes speakers such as the B&W 800d sound like tin cans.

In another review, the reviewer claims that these speakers have also bested the likes of the Revel Salon speakers and the $20,000 Aerial 20T's.

Could these speakers truly be a diamond in the rough?

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
rmk here has them in his theater and I'm sure he'll chime in. He's owned some really nice gear including the Revels. He loves his JTR stuff. I've heard them in a pro-audio setup and they were unlike anything I'd heard in that arena. They are definitely on my short list when I get to putting together my theater. For the record, the Growler that they have is incredible.

R

Robof83

Audioholic
Yeah I saw the growlers but I just can't get over the fact that it is -10db at 35hz.

It doesn't even sound like a real subwoofer.

G

griffinconst

Senior Audioholic
rmk here has them in his theater and I'm sure he'll chime in. He's owned some really nice gear including the Revels. He loves his JTR stuff. I've heard them in a pro-audio setup and they were unlike anything I'd heard in that arena. They are definitely on my short list when I get to putting together my theater. For the record, the Growler that they have is incredible.
Sorry to be a stoop but what is a growler?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
After reading this review

http://www.jtrspeakers.com/12lf_review.html

I am a little in dis-belief. The reviewer claims that these $1500 speakers out-performed the $135,000 Alexandria X2s. Every review I have ever read about the X2s has glorified them beyond belief saying they makes speakers such as the B&W 800d sound like tin cans.

In another review, the reviewer claims that these speakers have also bested the likes of the Revel Salon speakers and the $20,000 Aerial 20T's.

Could these speakers truly be a diamond in the rough?
The “review” story regarding Revel/JTR Triple 12LF's was mine and it was the Ultima2 Studio’s, not the Salons. The other reviewer is a friend. The Aerial/JTR story was his and was regarding his Model 9's and the CC5, not the 20T’s. He was talking about a friend of his with the Wilsons who was very impressed with the Triple 12LF’s but as it turns out, he still has the Wilsons;).

The JRT speakers are much more efficient and can play louder than the mentioned “high end” speakers and do so without distortion. I was able to do a side by side (although not a blind test) and found the JTR’s more to my liking for my primary use, HT. The Revels, Aerials and certainly Wilson Alexandria’s are outstanding loudspeakers. I have been lucky to hear them and they are very detailed and sound incredible with high resolution recordings. Due to their low sensitivity, I found them lacking with rock played at reference levels. The same was true with action movies with huge transients.

If you look at the engineering, build and component quality you can understand why there is a large price delta (not to mention marketing and distribution costs). Once I heard the JTR’s, I realized that I was more a function over form person. For me, a speaker’s job is to make sound and my preference is for big movie/concert sound. I don’t buy speakers as furniture. While the JTR’s aesthetic compromises are more than most people can handle, I don’t find them ugly, just utilitarian.

As nice as their relatively low price is, the value for me is in their performance. You may not feel that way and that’s fine. To each his own. :)

Last edited:
adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah I saw the growlers but I just can't get over the fact that it is -10db at 35hz.

It doesn't even sound like a real subwoofer.
Its meant for music. Most music doesnt go below 40 anyways. I think the lowest note on a piano is around 37 or so. acoustical bass is around 40 I THINK. The growlers are very powerful and very clean. They were as impressive as the T12s.

R

Robof83

Audioholic
Its meant for music. Most music doesnt go below 40 anyways. I think the lowest note on a piano is around 37 or so. acoustical bass is around 40 I THINK. The growlers are very powerful and very clean. They were as impressive as the T12s.

That makes sense.

They do seem to have a more HT oriented subwoofer now called the Captivator. Have you had a chance to listen to that?

S

septim

Audioholic
Well I'm getting a pair of 12LFs soon and I can't wait. :D:D:D

I'm just worried my XPA-5 isn't gonna be enough to drive them. I have an EP2500 and am thinking about trying them with that. Too bad my sub uses it and I have zero money to spend on anything AV related for a good long time.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the soundbroker website mentioned a quintuple 8 speaker ...

i couldn't get the triple 8 because RMK had triple 12's - im pretty sure i'd get the buyer's remorse thing afterwards.

i couldn't get the triple 12 as that was too wide...

hmm, quintuple 8.

R

Robof83

Audioholic
Man I would be so interested in hearing these things. Unfortunately I just don't have the money at the moment, but I do plan on trying them for my next upgrade.

Also, I just noticed several new speakers that went up on their website including what looks to be a floor standing model.

R

Robof83

Audioholic
rmk, would you say the speakers sacrifice sound quality at moderate volumes in order to play loud?

edit: sorry bandphan I guess I was a little delusional the last time I visited the website. I didn't notice that the HT speakers at the bottom are the same as the installation products at the top. As for the new tower speaker, I emailed Jeff Permanian about it and he told me he had been getting a lot emails about this very subject and he might just have to introduce one.

The tower he mentioned was called the quintuple 8. The specifications he gave for the speaker were 98db at 1 watt, 50hz-20kz, up too 1600 watts.

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
rmk, would you say the speakers sacrifice sound quality at moderate volumes in order to play loud?
Not at all, here is a quote from Mark Seaton:

The T12LF makes for a very obvious point of comparison with its much greater sensitivity and dynamic linearity as compared to more common home audio options (even very expensive ones). Combine those dynamics with a smooth overall power response without any major gyrations as you move around the speaker, and you have a speaker conceived as an easy to use and great sounding pro audio speaker which will work very well as a powerful home theater LCR. As you appear to have found, the subjective benefits are not just at ear-bleed levels, but at low levels as well.

S

septim

Audioholic
RMK what amp are you using to drive the JTR 12LFs? I have an XPA-5 which is 400 WPC but am thinking about selling it and going for a pro amp like an EP2500. What do you use/recommend?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
RMK what amp are you using to drive the JTR 12LFs? I have an XPA-5 which is 400 WPC but am thinking about selling it and going for a pro amp like an EP2500. What do you use/recommend?
Honestly, I think you will be fine with the XPA-5 unless you want to listen to AC/DC Live at Donington BR at reference levels:eek:. More power is always better but you can give a try and sell the XPA-5 if it doesn't get it done for you.

I have and like a Sunfire TGA 400/7 and it is rated @ 800WPC for the 4 Ohm 12LF's. The pro audio amps are a great value but the fan noise can be an issue if they will be kept in the room. There are some fan mods that make then run cooler and quieter. I use a QSC (recommended by Midnightsensi;)) for my subs and it has been a great amp but it is has some fan noise too. My equipment is in a separate closet so that is not an issue for me.

I also like the new Ice powered amps (D-Sonic and Wyred) but they are very pricey as compared to the EP2500.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
They are very good speakers. So they can be that good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis