JTR Speakers. They can't be this good!!!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
god forbid if this topics sways to Danley Sound Labs Subs :p;):D

Last edited:
S

septim

Audioholic
The JRT, based on inspection of the driver used for treble and the loading caused by the co-axial design...

-Chris
Either you have missed a lot of hints or you are doing this on purpose.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think he just doesn't care. Even though he's spelling the acronym incorrectly we all still get the gist of what's been said I think.;)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Geez... I get JRT and JTR confused..... that's all..... did not seem like a terribly important detail to me.

-Chris

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
See, he didn't care. If correcting Chris's incorrect acronym is your way of defending your speakers....

You shouldn't care anyway, just enjoy your speakers.:D

S

septim

Audioholic
See, he didn't care. If correcting Chris's incorrect acronym is your way of defending your speakers....
Huh? WMAX forgets more than I will probably ever know about speakers but until someone has heard the speakers I don't really consider the review.

I was just wondering if he was actually reading the numerous replies in which he quotes people telling him he was spelling it wrong is all.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Don't be hard on the guy, dyslexia sets in now and then to all of us:D
It’s a big brain problem ... like a big ship, a big brain is slower to course correct. We small brained souls (like small boats) can adjust more quickly.:)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
All I can say about Robs setup is it blows mine out of the water. My musical taste is varied but live bluegrass un amped recorded with the highest quality mics and digital recorders is my preference and after hearing the trip 8s , I'm sold. Period. I know exactly how these recordings should sound as I was the one doing it and these speakers reproduce them flawlessly

browninggold

browninggold

Junior Audioholic
It’s a big brain problem ... like a big ship, a big brain is slower to course correct. We small brained souls (like small boats) can adjust more quickly.:)
That is gooood....almost want to use that in my signature:)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Back to the JRT’s:p and understanding my cranial limitations, they do cast a large and detailed sound stage. I was listening to music yesterday for a few hours (all too rare these days) and played a wide variety of music in both two channel and multichannel mode.

With my Revels, the two channel sweet spot was indeed sweet but move a foot one way or the other and the imaging and soundstage collapsed. Revel is known for good off axis performance but in comparison to the JTR’s their off axis performance is weak.

With the JTR’s, the center two seats were ideal (much larger soundstage than Revel) but the end seats also had a very good presentation of the sound. The JRT’s present a very full multichannel sound and differences between the seat locations are even harder to distinguish.

While they are great HT speakers, the JTR’s were built for music and in my opnion the answer to the OP’s original questions is yes, they really are that good.:cool:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Huh? WMAX forgets more than I will probably ever know about speakers but until someone has heard the speakers I don't really consider the review.

I was just wondering if he was actually reading the numerous replies in which he quotes people telling him he was spelling it wrong is all.
Sorry, my post wasn't directed at you.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief

You shouldn't care anyway, just enjoy your speakers.:D
Sorry, my post wasn't directed at you.
Not caring about the details is for salesmen, not engineers. Critical commentary on an AV product that you have never seen nor heard is unprofessional ... IMHO

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Not caring about the details is for salesmen, not engineers. Critical commentary on an AV product that you have never seen nor heard is unprofessional ... IMHO
That's not completely fair, as he said he's had experience with the type of drivers used in the speakers. Based on the weight of the speakers it's almost guaranteed they have a lot of cabinet resonance. They are very light considering the space they occupy.

J

jamie2112

Banned
That's not completely fair, as he said he's had experience with the type of drivers used in the speakers. Based on the weight of the speakers it's almost guaranteed they have a lot of cabinet resonance. They are very light considering the space they occupy.
Agreed ..............I have not heard them but I respect Chris's opinion as I have talked at lenth with him many times by phone and he is a mad scientist.When he says his expectations are not sane ....he means it....:D..I really would love to hear these JTR speakers if only because they are my initials........:D

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Say what you will; I am aware of the inherent limitations of physics; I can make very accurate predictions based on some basic information.

I'll even give JTR the benefit of the doubt, that they kept all of these drivers operating within their pistonic bandwidths, and they have have the dispersion of a regular monopolar direct radiator (despite the tweeter recessed into an effective waveguide that appears to limit/control dispersion)...... but then there is no getting past that cabinet, which appears from descriptions, weight, etc.; to be an average braced cabinet made of hardwood ply. It's also a rather sizable cabinet; the probable outcome is substantial cabinet talk. It may be, the JTR would be a superb candidate for a modified cabinet. :) Perhaps there is some 'innovative' method used in this cabinet to radically lower resonance? If so, JTR has not mentioned or described any such special feature, at least not which I have noticed.

The JTR speakers have in fact inspired me to design a high performance home speaker based on mostly high efficiency professional drivers. I will point out: I plan to design this but not build it. I'll have a local cabinet maker build the cabinets to my exact specification(s); I just don't have the facilities to efficiently build complex cabinets. I'm still working on randyb's cabinets - man I wish I had initially planned that out to have a cabinet shop to do the primary construction...

-Chris

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
The JTR speakers have in fact inspired me to design a high performance home speaker based on mostly high efficiency professional drivers. I will point out: I plan to design this but not build it. I'll have a local cabinet maker build the cabinets to my exact specification(s); I just don't have the facilities to efficiently build complex cabinets. I'm still working on randyb's cabinets - man I wish I had initially planned that out to have a cabinet shop to do the primary construction...

-Chris
Good luck with that Chris, I am sure there are many here who look forward to the results of your inspiration.:)

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I guess this is a classic "who gives a crap" situation as far as measurements go... This thread clearly divides the two extremes of audiophileism :D ...

One wants to listen and enjoy the "sound", and one needs it to be perfect to even think about enjoying it. Nobody is really wrong here, and I respect both sides of the coin. Having heard the TJR :p and seeing the pictures of RMK's room, I cant imagine not enjoying those speakers in my own home. And, ultimately, because I've never measured a driver or worried about cabinet resonance, I think I'd be freakin thrilled. But, I'm on the wow factor- dynamic side of things which explains why I always seem to like the brighter side of some of the Klipsch offerings. They turn heads not because my friends are like "holy eff, I cant hear any resonance" but they enjoy the presence the speakers have in the room. I'd imagine the RTJ's are the same way.

On the flip side, there is a lot of intrigue to me in the science behind what truly makes a speaker great, ever before it makes a single noise. I can look at every spec of a golf club on paper and tell you if I can hit it well and if It'll feel right. Without a VERY particular blueprint, I would never put it in my golf bag and in almost every case, I've built it. So, I get Chris' insanity and factual based skepticism on the REAL performance of these particular speakers.

I imagine the two sides here never meet, but its interesting to see the polar opposite opinions of what makes a great speaker. For me, a great pair of speakers are like women, the more I drink.... well... you can probably figure the rest out...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis