JBL Studio 500 series on sale.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That makes no sense! For simplicity, let's stick with the idea of $1000 (which includes your cost/fee) raised using 100 ea. $10 "tickets".
If I buy one ticket, I know my chance of winning the speakers is 1 out of 100. Whether the other 99 are bought by 99 people or only one person doesn't change my odds. In the case of one person buying 99, I would be actually impressed that the other person is obviously very interested in your measurements (since he is also paying 99% of your fee).
Yes he is very likely to win the speaker, but he also has more skin in the game. but statistically everything is absolutely fair and unlikely as it is, the prospect of me ending up with the speakers is a real possibility!

That is a difficult question. I don't know how many hours it might take you to measure them.
One speaker I would like you to measure is the Infinity R162, but it is a $200/pr. (on sale) speaker. Is that fair to you?
I would also love to see comprehensive measurements on the Canton A45 Anniversary model, which costs $4000/pr. Is that fair to you?
I think it needs to be a set fee rather than based on resale value of the speakers!

In one of your posts you said it would take a full day for everything. If a full day is 8 hours and we are talking $1000 speakers we are talking you are being paid $112.50/hour (if we look at it that way).
More reasonably, we might consider that you should be able to sell the "used" speakers via classified ads for 60% of their value ($600), so you would be getting paid $75/hour. $75/hour is over $150,000 a year, so I don't think most here would feel good about that (just being practical, because the first thing anyone would do is compare what you are making to their own salary).
Moreover, you are in a situation where you are gambling your paycheck on resale value which I think you would want to avoid. In some cases you are apt to get screwed over (and it may be your own measurements that do it)!

So a 50-60% devaluation of the speaker is likely when you resell them, however, most people here would (if they won the raffle) see it as winning 100% of the value of the speakers (less the cost to ship them).

The good thing is I believe there is no risk to present one of these scenarios on "Go Fund Me", etc and just see what type of reception you would get.
Interesting points here. I think I will start a new thread about this, so more people can see it, so I can take a wider temperature. Let's continue this discussion there. By the way, when I say a full day, I do mean more than 8 hours. It takes up the whole morning, afternoon, and evening. I wouldn't charge 1k to measure a single speaker though.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
So, the people still owning a pair of these- you still happy as a clam with them? Sub needed if you ran them?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Happy enough I wouldn't want to send them to shadyj. :) Of course I use subs with them, their f3 isn't THAT low.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
I'm very happy with my 590s. I gotta have some 530s now!

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
This year has been spectacularly bad for subwoofer measuring for me, as an example. Thankfully, the weather conditions needed to test loudspeakers in a free-air condition are much less prohibitive than subwoofers.

And this must be why many of us are waiting with baited breath for the SVS 3000 review!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So, the people still owning a pair of these- you still happy as a clam with them? Sub needed if you ran them?
I love my 590's I own 3 for my front 3. Love em so much I bought 3 580's for my bedroom setup. Plan on buying the 530's when I get a chance.

I've been done with speaker upgrades since these

The only thing that has me interested are the new JBL HDI speakers shipping in January

Shady please get your hands on some of those to review! I'm begging you pluueeeaasse!!!!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Happy enough I wouldn't want to send them to shadyj. :) Of course I use subs with them, their f3 isn't THAT low.
I agree with lovin here I'd love to send mine to you Shady but I can't go without em LOL

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with lovin here I'd love to send mine to you Shady but I can't go without em LOL
Yeah it was more about being without them than what shadyj might do with them....altho picturing him trying to get that thing on top of the ladder....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thought James actually owned the 580’s or 590’s though. If he wanted to measure them, he has them already. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis