Incorporating MiniDSP With Audyssey XT32

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
HD for me too because of the voltage concern you mentioned, so double thanks to you.
Roger that! Back atcha. I saw you were going for it so, here I go too. I bought my bfd about 4 years ago. The curve(learning) was agonizing but once I understood, I didn't need the reference material anymore. I wanted the minidsp but I found the bfd for 40 bucks. I'm very much looking forward to the mini, and it's more visual approach since I'm that kind of learner. I also have 3 subs to wrangle. I do know they should be eq'd as a group, but this will be a far more streamlined way to do it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's Gonna depend on what the 100hz issues are from. If it's room induced, placement will be how to deal with it, since you can't EQ peaks and valleys created by that. If it's phase,(which it looks like to my untrained eye) try adding a foot or so in the avr, or shorten delay in the mini.
Just wanted to revisit this post. Before using the mini, Audyssey always set the distance for my subs at 13.9' and trim levels of -8 for both subs.

After I incorporated the mini it put my distance at 17.6', had me turn up the gain (about a quarter turn) on both subs and set the trim level to -6. That's a very significant difference and tied to the phase thing, right?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was wondering about that too! lol. Is there a way to set 2 notch filters?
Couldn't quote peng...ugh
Iirc, pogre has one room dim similar to mine, and I have a 23hz bump(free output yay) and I can't take it down. I can distort the shape of it in REW with my bfd, but mines from the room/placement and I have to love with it(don't mind anyway). Not sure where pogres stems from but I'm curious.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you have extra bands leftover yes.
I think I have 10 bands altogether?

20170827_092237-1305x734.jpg

This is not where I have it set right now, ATL was walking me through setting up a shelf thingy. I'm posting this one cuz it's handy and wanted to ask if the boxes numbered 1 through 10 are what you're saying are bands?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think I have 10 bands altogether?

View attachment 22038
This is not where I have it set right now, ATL was walking me through setting up a shelf thingy. I'm posting this one cuz it's handy and wanted to ask if the boxes numbered 1 through 10 are what you're saying are bands?
Yes. That's basically how many EQ "sliders" you have.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just wanted to revisit this post. Before using the mini, Audyssey always set the distance for my subs at 13.9' and trim levels of -8 for both subs.

After I incorporated the mini it put my distance at 17.6', had me turn up the gain (about a quarter turn) on both subs and set the trim level to -6. That's a very significant difference and tied to the phase thing, right?
IMO yes. Having only been through your process via the forum, I'd would say REW chose a different distance setting based on how it interpreted what was happening in your room. That probably helped with impulse response and sounding "tighter" and maybe punchier. The level differences are probably just voltage in/out variances.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
IMO yes. Having only been through your process via the forum, I'd would say REW chose a different distance setting based on how it interpreted what was happening in your room. That probably helped with impulse response and sounding "tighter" and maybe punchier. The level differences are probably just voltage in/out variances.
Audyssey picked the distance. I ran it after I did my magic. I'm sure in reaction to the filters applied by the mini.

*Edit: Not a complaint, I just found it interesting.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Audyssey picked the distance. I ran it after I did my magic. I'm sure in reaction to the filters applied by the mini.

*Edit: Not a complaint, I just found it interesting.
I'm thinking it is just the time required to convert analog to digital, process the EQ changes and convert back to analog. That has to take a couple of microseconds!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm thinking it is just the time required to convert analog to digital, process the EQ changes and convert back to analog. That has to take a couple of microseconds!
That never would have occurred to me. It makes perfect sense.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Well, the additional box would add its own delay but why the increase in volume? Mic differences?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
HD for me too because of the voltage concern you mentioned, so double thanks to you.
I would go with a bit more expensive models that do all digital without extra conversions and extra cables, just 1 hdmi Also you can put it in between the source and avr rather than avr and amp. Can be usefull in some cases.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, the additional box would add its own delay but why the increase in volume? Mic differences?
I have no idea, but it was quieter after applying the mini's filters before running Audyssey. Turned the gains up a quarter turn til it was happy. What I'm hearing is pretty awesome now.

*Edit: The gains on both subs are still below the half way point.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I would go with a bit more expensive models that do all digital without extra conversions and extra cables, just 1 hdmi Also you can put it in between the source and avr rather than avr and amp. Can be usefull in some cases.
If you go this route there is even more conversion since those models can only deal with PCM. They cannot accept bitstream data.

Not only that, there is little to no conversion using the 2x4 HD because you are taking the analog out from the receiver and adding peq to it, then it goes to the sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis