Incorporating MiniDSP With Audyssey XT32

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre, in theory it would likely main things worse as it defeat the purpose of the SubEQHT feature to better integrate two subs by pinking them individually first to collect the information before EQ'ing them as one. Again, no harm trying.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre, in theory it would likely main things worse as it defeat the purpose of the SubEQHT feature to better integrate two subs by pinking them individually first to collect the information before EQ'ing them as one. Again, no harm trying.
I hear ya. Haven't done anything yet. I know it's going to take an entire morning or afternoon if I do and I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to go through all that effort to find out (most likely) that it was better the way it was.

To address what you're telling me, my 2 subs are already level matched. After that they're eq'd together. The mini is what I'd use to apply filters separately. Get the towers right, then get the subs right, then do them all together. Say, channel 3 for both subs and channel 4 for both towers (bass section only).

I'm stubbornly sticking to this idea because @gene popped in here and said he's gotten the best results with this configuration. I'm always game for "the best". I'm not always game for a lot of work with the promise of (maybe) poorer results. I'm still considering. Plus I'm a little gun-shy after blowing up my 1400 watt amplifier. :eek:

That was 100% user error on my part. IF I do this the jumpers come off first before I touch anything else. :oops:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I hear ya. Haven't done anything yet. I know it's going to take an entire morning or afternoon if I do and I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to go through all that effort to find out (most likely) that it was better the way it was.

To address what you're telling me, my 2 subs are already level matched. After that they're eq'd together. The mini is what I'd use to apply filters separately. Get the towers right, then get the subs right, then do them all together. Say, channel 3 for both subs and channel 4 for both towers (bass section only).

I'm stubbornly sticking to this idea because @gene popped in here and said he's gotten the best results with this configuration. I'm always game for "the best". I'm not always game for a lot of work with the promise of (maybe) poorer results. I'm still considering. Plus I'm a little gun-shy after blowing up my 1400 watt amplifier. :eek:

That was 100% user error on my part. IF I do this the jumpers come off first before I touch anything else. :oops:
I did'nt have luck using it and have put it back in the box . Too lazy to do the return at the time , but if you need another one you can have it for half what I paid plus shipping. I may change my mind and keep it for Dirac live though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I did'nt have luck using it and have put it back in the box . Too lazy to do the return at the time , but if you need another one you can have it for half what I paid plus shipping. I may change my mind and keep it for Dirac live though.
Oh my... that would be ideal!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Try doing it for 3 full range speakers. ;) Seriously it takes forever to setup my speakers, but it's definitely worth the effort to use DSP if you do it well IME.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Try doing it for 3 full range speakers. ;) Seriously it takes forever to setup my speakers, but it's definitely worth the effort to use DSP if you do it well IME.
Well, I did some stuff.

Bypass+DEQ+DSP.jpg

I ran out of time last night, but this is what I ended up with. I re-routed my main speakers, full range (did not isolate the sub sections) through the Mini instead of my subs, reset all the filters and started from scratch. I listened and measured in pure direct and compared that to stereo mode with Audyssey turned off and all filters reset. Pretty much identical.

First I took a sweep with the 2 mains by themselves and let REW generate filters between 20 and 500 hz. I set filter limits at 12db (more than recommended) and uploaded them to the mini. I took another sweep to check that it matched predicted, then ran an Audyssey setup.

After running Audyssey I took another sweep, than made adjustments to the inputs until I got somewhat close to what I wanted, then turned on deq and took a couple more sweeps that you can see the results of above. This is my speaker config as of now:

MulEQ XT32 - L/R Bypass
Dynamic EQ - On
-Reference Level offset - 5db
Volume off
LFC off

Speaker Config - Front - Large
Subwoofer - 2 spkrs
Center and Surrounds - small
Crossovers - 40 hz Mains
Center and Surround - 80 hz
Subwoofer Mode - LFE+Main (tho I struggle to hear the difference between it and just LFE).

I ran out of time last night, but I'm ready do some more experimenting. So far it sounds surprisingly good, tho I lost some of my lower frequencies.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So far it sounds surprisingly good, tho I lost some of my lower frequencies.
You could try adding a house curve. The great thing is with the minidsp is that you can manipulate the response to your preference. I suggest starting with a neutral system and then if you feel it needs more bass try some various house curves. I personally haven't done house curves because I prefer a neutral system, but I'm told they are really loved by bassheads.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You could try adding a house curve. The great thing is with the minidsp is that you can manipulate the response to your preference. I suggest starting with a neutral system and then if you feel it needs more bass try some various house curves. I personally haven't done house curves because I prefer a neutral system, but I'm told they are really loved by bassheads.
A house curve, you say?

03-02-18 deq+bump.jpg

Above I have a baseline without deq or a bump. The rest are labeled so you can see what I've been playing with. I have no control over the subs now, but I can run them with different eq settings. One port open and both ports open are EQ1 and EQ2 respectively. I was able to do a fair job of blending them with my towers. With my xover now set at 40 hz, I'm finally getting some bassy goodness out of my towers!

As far as sq, it's really hard to tell between my previous config. Memory for that is so fleeting, but it does sound very, very good. My only complaint is losing some of my bass in EQ2 from about 27 to 20 hz. I was also able to get it flat in EQ2 down to 15 hz with DSP on the subs (minus house curve).

03-02 subs phase 180 deg.jpg

So I played with the phasing. Pretty much a no go, but some interesting results.

P.S. No smoothing on any of those measurements.

Last edited:
fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
I`m starting in this world hahahah

Somebody can help me with this things ? I will be much grateful =))

See the imagem for know whats are my doubts.
Use zoom.
Sem título-2.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis