Incorporating MiniDSP With Audyssey XT32

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Go to your MiniDSP plug in and just enter a filter. Notch filter just means small filter eq adjustment

After that one put in a low shelf (not peak) at 25dB +5dB Q1

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Go to your MiniDSP plug in and just enter a filter. Notch filter just means small filter eq adjustment

After that one put in a low shelf (not peak) at 25dB +5dB Q1
Go to outputs, then PEQ? I'm lost. Shelf? I don't know these settings. I barely got this going yesterday.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
did you DL the mini DSP plug in 2 way advanced? Open that app.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
The plugin I have is MiniDSP 2x4 HD. I don't think I downloaded the 2 way advanced. I'll search for it now.
The MiniDSP 2x4 HD will work. open that app, go into it. Do you know how to adjust a PEQ in it?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The MiniDSP 2x4 HD will work. open that app, go into it. Do you know how to adjust a PEQ in it?
I do not. I just downloaded the 2 way advanced tho, and it's a completely different menu. I'm assuming I'll have to reapply the filters from REW? Or should I reinstall MiniDSP 2x4 HD again?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the menu up on MiniDSP 2 way advanced and imported the rew file. Now I just need to know how to do a otch filter and shelf.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have the menu up on MiniDSP 2 way advanced and imported the rew file. Now I just need to know how to do a otch filter and shelf.
I don't know the minidsp menu, but you should be able to manually pick a frequency, and apply a plus or minus value to it. Set the Q width and remeasure. Adjust accordingly.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The reason it's called a notch filter is because it's narrow(covering a small range of frequencies).

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You can use the two left over channels for your front towers to address those big nulls above 100 hz.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You can use the two left over channels for your front towers to address those big nulls above 100 hz.
I would like to give this a go. All my bass issues are in my towers now. If it's not feasible I'm happy going with a 100hz crossover.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would like to give this a go. All my bass issues are in my towers now. If it's not feasible I'm happy going with a 100hz crossover.
So, it seems like you would do the exact same things you did with the subs except you would insert the miniDSP between your AVR and the monolith for the front two channels

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like you can only manage two channels with miniDSP 2X4 per ATLAudio's post below!

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What avr? My Onkyo is rated same as yours, nominal 200mV (at 470 ohm), but also with a max of 4.6V; most outboard amps are going to need more than .2V I think....
Thanks Chris. I've been meaning to get to this question. My avr is an 808. What I see is 200mv but no max. To my brain cell, the minis output of .9 is higher than my avr so I'll have no problems. The reports I've seen of too low gain, haven't mentioned the users output voltage from the avr. I'm assuming it to be much higher. Incidentally, my yamahas(p2500s)attenuation knobs, are 3 clicks from max, and the avr trims are -2 for L/R. I'm sure that would be much different if my preout v was higher. I'd really like to pull the trigger on a mini, especially since I pulled out my BFD, but I'm being stubborn on the extra hundred bucks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks Chris. I've been meaning to get to this question. My avr is an 808. What I see is 200mv but no max. To my brain cell, the minis output of .9 is higher than my avr so I'll have no problems. The reports I've seen of too low gain, haven't mentioned the users output voltage from the avr. I'm assuming it to be much higher. Incidentally, my yamahas(p2500s)attenuation knobs, are 3 clicks from max, and the avr trims are -2 for L/R. I'm sure that would be much different if my preout v was higher. I'd really like to pull the trigger on a mini, especially since I pulled out my BFD, but I'm being stubborn on the extra hundred bucks.
I think the max output is similar to mine....from same Onkyo era.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It's Gonna depend on what the 100hz issues are from. If it's room induced, placement will be how to deal with it, since you can't EQ peaks and valleys created by that. If it's phase,(which it looks like to my untrained eye) try adding a foot or so in the avr, or shorten delay in the mini.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How would you use the mini on the mains?...it's not got enuf channels to handle them, does it?

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Unless someone has a massive cheat code for the MiniDSP, it only has 2 inputs. If you want to manage your subs and mains on one MiniDSP 2x4 you'll have to run full range out of your AVR, into the MiniDSP, and two channels to an outboard amp, and the other two to your subs.

I'd rather have the dedicated LFE channel.

Also, tweaking your mains should be done with incredible caution. I'd only cut levels and boost nothing. Your subs have all sorts of digital limiters and DSP on them to prevent damage which your towers do not have. As Tom at PSA said, "don't take it as some sort of challenge, but you should be able to tweak all you want without concern."

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would also caution against eqing the mains. Who knows what you'd end up with. Consider that Audyssey is much more comprehensive than just EQ(which is more complex than one might think).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the sensitivity on your amp is slightly less than 1.2V (3.6 dBu), so I'd want the higher output version of the minidsp.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis