HDMI 2.1 Chipset Bug in AV Receivers Causing Gaming Problems

A

AVR Enthu

Enthusiast
I'm not a huge techie but am in the market for an AV Receiver to go with my PS5.

Are there any receivers under $1K right now that I could purchase that have HDMI 2.1 and do not have these issues w/ PS5? I'd prefer not to have to wait until the next few receivers are made, but I will if I have to.

I really appreciate any advice out there.
PS5 reportedly works fine with Denon/Marantz, if this is what you need.
The question is whether you really want a receiver with one single HDMI 2.1 port? In next couple of years, you are likely to add new HDMI 2.1 devices to home theatre gear. This will put you under pressure to buy an AVR with more HDMI 2.1 ports. Unless you are happy to exchange AVR every 2-3 years, I'd suggest you to wait until Q4 2021, as AVR is rather a longer-term investment and is meant to sit on our shelves for at least 5 years or more.

A

AVR Enthu

Enthusiast
Hi all, joined for this discussion, been watching a lot of audioholics on YouTube.

My understanding of the reason the PS5 functions through the SU recievers is because Sony released it pushing out 32 Gbps at 4:2:2 sampling. Sony plans to release an update relatively soon (next 6 months) to enable 40 Gbps at 4:4:4, which is what the Xbox runs at, which to me says that the functionality is a time bomb for the PS5 until Sony pushes their update.
It's not a "time bomb" for PS5, but more so for receivers. If and when 40 Gbps enabling firmware is released by Sony, this should work fine with all TVs, but it's unclear whether it's going to work with Panasonic SOlutions chip in AVRs. Both consoles work fine with TVs. AVRs' HDMI 2.1 chip is the problem.

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Audioholic Intern
A big thanks to all you gamers for beta testing HDMI 2.1 for the rest of us non-gamers ;) .

A

AVR Enthu

Enthusiast
We have an initial report on new AMD graphic cards too. It does not look good either.

GPU AMD 6900XT --> Marantz 6015 --> LGX - black screen

The user reported being able to pass through 4K60 RGB 10 bit only; so FRL 4L6, ~20 Gbps.

B

BlackSpider777

Audiophyte
We have an initial report on new AMD graphic cards too. It does not look good either.

GPU AMD 6900XT --> Marantz 6015 --> LGX - black screen

The user reported being able to pass through 4K60 RGB 10 bit only; so FRL 4L6, ~20 Gbps.
hmmn, i wonder how denon/marantz are going to fix this issue? I guess new chipsets for the next year models? what about those who bought the Marantz Sr8015 which gets updates once in 3 years? they will have a warranty fix? Interesting it will be.

Thanks.

Last edited:
pcosmic

pcosmic

Full Audioholic
Extremely Simple fix:
Plug your hdmi out for video directly into the monitor/tv from gpu. Why the fk should your receiver fck with the video? No, leave the receiver out of it..
( if you played fighting games where every single ms of lag counts, this should already be a no brainer)

Use a 2nd out from your gpu into the receiver for audio only.

A

AVR Enthu

Enthusiast
hmmn, i wonder how denon/marantz are going to fix this issue? I guess new chipsets for the next year models? what about those who bought the Marantz Sr8015 which gets updates once in 3 years? they will have a warranty fix? Interesting it will be.

Thanks.
Recall is becoming more likely with every passing day and testing of new products with HDMI 2.1. It's unfortunate.

This year's models are reportedly on a 3 year cicle, unless they decide to stop production and revamp current models with new boards once a novel chip is ready. This is supposed to happen Q3-Q4 2021. They will certainly need to square the circle of budget vs. trust in the brand.

A

AVR Enthu

Enthusiast
Extremely Simple fix:
Plug your hdmi out for video directly into the monitor/tv from gpu. Why the fk should your receiver fck with the video? No, leave the receiver out of it..
( if you played fighting games where every single ms of lag counts, this should already be a no brainer)

Use a 2nd out from your gpu into the receiver for audio only.
You are right that a simple fix could be applied, no doubt about it. And I know that many new owners have tried to resort to it, being out of other choices. But that's not the point here and such fix defeats the purpose of using new technology that has been so widely and frequently advertised, including in more expensive models. HDMI 2.1 apprears to be in the top three features in official adverts and it carries 'heavy lifting' as a selling feature. If someone buys a new AVR for hundreds or thousands of $/£/€ after exposure to such adverstisement and numerous presentations of products throughout the summer, one would expect top functions to perform reliably, rather then being told to apply a simple fix. This temporary fix was officially recommended by Sound United too. It's not a fix, let's be clear about it. It's an embarrassment for the company that was not willing to wait long enough for a HDMI 2.1 chip to be properly tested with engineering samples of new sources.

It's not about gamers only either, as high frame rate is just one of several benefits of HDMI 2.1. Another one is throughput beyond 18 Gbps via RFL lanes, e.g. 4K60 RGB 10 bit content, where input lag is not that relevant. There are professionals and enthusiasts who would like to run their graphic simulations and high quality video projects with lossless music in the background with one simple connection that was supposed to work out of the box, rather than apply temporary workaround after spending so much money on new gear. Their new AVRs have one single HDMI 2.1 port, and it does not work properly. It's simply not acceptable. Many users also have one single HDMI port on their PCs, the one on GPU, and do not want to play with DP-HDMI workarounds, or are not aware of them, just to be able to extract audio. It's yet another hassle to make things work, yet another product to buy.

Finally, there are customers whose TVs or monitors do not necessarily have eARC function or their eARC is buggy, as we know from thousands of posts in different fora. Problems with eARC have plagued dozens of devices across the board for several years now and those issues frustrated so many people. The feature was supposed to deliver only one single thing - lossless sound back to AVR. Some new and popular TVs do not support pass through of DTS sound either. So, 'simple fix' is not that simple in specific configurations of home theatre or in professional studios.

Your practical advice can work for some users for time-being, which is fine, but it is not surprising that customers are increasingly angry and dissatisfied with multiple malfunctioning features that cannot make their audio-video systems running reliably.

Last edited:
pcosmic

pcosmic

Full Audioholic
It's not about gamers only either, as high frame rate is just one of several benefits of HDMI 2.1. Another one is throughput beyond 18 Gbps via RFL lanes, e.g. 4K60 RGB 10 bit content, where input lag is not that relevant. There are professionals and enthusiasts who would like to run their graphic simulations and high quality video projects with lossless music in the background with one simple connection that was supposed to work out of the box, rather than apply temporary workaround after spending so much money on new gear. Their new AVRs have one single HDMI 2.1 port, and it does not work properly. It's simply not acceptable. Many users also have one single HDMI port on their PCs, the one on GPU, and do not want to play with DP-HDMI workarounds, or are not aware of them, just to be able to extract audio. It's yet another hassle to make things work, yet another product to buy.
We can measure it and prove it!
This thread is not focusing on your graphics sims and video projects dude. OP was talking about gaming applications (check thread title again!). My son has a semi-pro gaming hobby. Believe me, i know this whole schpeel from head to toe :D . If you played anything competitive in the gaming realm (FPSs, fighting games, etc), connecting your video output from the PC into a receiver is pure sacrilege. These guys go to extreme lengths to get extremely low travel fast responsive buttons, extremely low lag pcbs in their controllers, etc, etc....all this stuff....

Sure, if you wanna walk around slowly in a RPG and shoot something gently from time to time (or do your video projects!), knock yourself out, plug it into a receiver, no problemo!

Gmoney

Gmoney

Audioholic Samurai
A big thanks to all you gamers for beta testing HDMI 2.1 for the rest of us non-gamers ;) .
I don't game, use to with the first PS, My Sons and All of my grandchildren do they all have their own PS 4 and will be getting the 5.
But yeah Thanks Gamers! for all the testing! of these new AVR's. You guy's have been posting up some very valuable info.

A

AVR Enthu

Enthusiast
These guys go to extreme lengths to get extremely low travel fast responsive buttons, extremely low lag pcbs in their controllers, etc, etc....all this stuff....
No doubt. I agree. Those are priorities for gamers that give them a competitive edge, even more so for pro or semi-pro gamers.

I just used an opportunity to express wider frustration with this year's marketing and implementation of HDMI 2.1 in AVRs. A product that was aggressively targeting gaming part of PC world has not actually delivered, not only for gamers, but more broadly too.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis