HDMI 2.1 Chipset Bug in AV Receivers Causing Gaming Problems

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The funny thing in all of this is that the actual problem seems to lie with Microsoft and the Xbox.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hopefully the Xbox pass through is able to be resolved soon.

Good to hear PS5 is not an issue.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hopefully the Xbox pass through is able to be resolved soon.

Good to hear PS5 is not an issue.
That seems like it needs to be done in the Xbox... as I understand it Microsoft is compressing the signal prior to output. *shrugs

T

Tree57

Enthusiast
Apologies if it was mentioned in the thread already. Any word if Yamaha receivers using the Panasonic chipset will run PS5 at 4K @120 hz like Denon/ Marantz?

if so, Costco TSR-700 for $330 is tempting.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Apologies if it was mentioned in the thread already. Any word if Yamaha receivers using the Panasonic chipset will run PS5 at 4K @120 hz like Denon/ Marantz?

if so, Costco TSR-700 for $330 is tempting.
They use the same HDMI Chipset... so unless Yamaha implements it differently, I would hope they are good to go... we'll see if any press drops on that soon. :)

Really, just too bad that Microsoft apparently is sucking the big one again on implementation.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So was the official firmware update released? Or did I miss something?
I don’t see anything for my 6700...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I understand it, SU didn't need to do anything.

A

AudioTippler

Audiophyte
As I understand it, SU didn't need to do anything.
Yeah. Sounds like it was entirely a setup issue between the AVR and the sources(s). Don't know about Yamaha, but it looks like the only culpability SU has, now somewhat remedied, is an incomplete owners manual.

On the other hand, I am amused by folks who plug one computer (game system) into another computer (AVR) and just expect them to work together with bleeding edge technology without any setup.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
So they found a work around for that one single input on the AVR... whoopidy doo... still have to fight over which input gets gaming features while two others sit out this generation of AVR's... Until AVR's get at least three or more HDMI 2.1 inputs I'm not dropping a dime on them. Yamaha doesn't count since they still haven't released a solid 9 or 11 channel AVR with HDMI 2.1 yet.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Never take the turkey out before it’s actually done just cuz’ the kids are cryin’ to eat. It will be compromised.

A

alau0115

Audiophyte
Basically, this is just the official statement from SU on where the situation stands. It is PR and is to confirm the findings that you can find from other YouTubers on this subject matter.

Particularly, SU has confirmed and verified this review. The reviewer also used a 2020 Denon 8K receiver in the test.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Denon and Marantz are in a different (and more difficult) position than Yamaha because they have had the first 8K AV receivers on the market for 2020 for close to 6 months now. More liability..

There is not much new for those who have been following this issue...

Also as patwlkp said, these working scenarios are applicable only without HDR...

Last edited:
P

patwlkp

Audiophyte
WTF?

Denon needs to offer a free upgrade path for those of us who paid for this trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/ZACYTOWAĆ]

I got my money back. I returned to Onkyo connected via Arc

O

oupee

Enthusiast
Plus problem with 4K image dropout. Just yesterday I had to turn the SR8015 off and on. The TV was no signal. It usually helps to switch the input.

S

Stevostin

Audiophyte
It doesn't work for me. When I start up my pc everthing is fine but when I launch a game, picture gets all corrupted.

Edit: it's in fact totally random, not only in games. Picture is fine for 30 sec then gets corrupted for another 30 sec. Tried turning off G-sync or HDR, still the same. Kind of a crappy workaround they found here.

Last edited:
L

leash

Audiophyte
I'm not a huge techie but am in the market for an AV Receiver to go with my PS5.

Are there any receivers under $1K right now that I could purchase that have HDMI 2.1 and do not have these issues w/ PS5? I'd prefer not to have to wait until the next few receivers are made, but I will if I have to.

I really appreciate any advice out there.

T

The Satch

Audiophyte
Hi all, joined for this discussion, been watching a lot of audioholics on YouTube.

My understanding of the reason the PS5 functions through the SU recievers is because Sony released it pushing out 32 Gbps at 4:2:2 sampling. Sony plans to release an update relatively soon (next 6 months) to enable 40 Gbps at 4:4:4, which is what the Xbox runs at, which to me says that the functionality is a time bomb for the PS5 until Sony pushes their update.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis