Having some problems calibrating sub

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
something i've been wondering as well, since it's self powered, i don't really have to worry about pushing it to hard and damaging it right, like, i don't expect to lmao, but, i'd also expect it to run out of power, or stop/throttle it self before going for a suicide run

right...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes the THX mode per the manual bypasses the volume/gain adjustment, saying it expects the processor to provide such. Interesting they thought all sources would have sufficient level output/control alone. You could just not use the THX mode and then max out the low pass filter yourself....
This is what I think I'd do. That's why I asked if peuga had a splitter.

If you use the other inputs you should have volume control and the manual suggests a splitter to take full advantage of the amp's power. Then like HD said, crank the filter all the way up and use the crossover in the receiver.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
something i've been wondering as well, since it's self powered, i don't really have to worry about pushing it to hard and damaging it right, like, i don't expect to lmao, but, i'd also expect it to run out of power, or stop/throttle it self before going for a suicide run

right...
I wouldn't guarantee you can't push it past it's limits. I'm pretty sure you'll know if you do if it starts making noises it shouldn't.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

right...
You just need to set the gain appropriately to max out the use of the sub's amp but without clipping at your highest playback levels, then no worries.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
This is what I think I'd do. That's why I asked if peuga had a splitter.

If you use the other inputs you should have volume control and the manual suggests a splitter to take full advantage of the amp's power. Then like HD said, crank the filter all the way up and use the crossover in the receiver.
i'm still not quite getting the advatages of going line in over the thx input, like, i can adjust levels on the receiver, same for the crossover,
i'd assume the line ones would mostly be usefull for those without a sub pre out, just Lef and Right pre outs

Last edited:
peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't guarantee you can't push it past it's limits. I'm pretty sure you'll know if you do if it starts making noises it shouldn't.
i'm mostly asking because well, i've noticed it can go really far, like, make people that are not in the living room come ask wtf happened kinda thing, but i also don't know it's limits, i took the grill off to see how much the driver moved, and while for a confortable volume, it's barealy a visible movement, if i set the level on ther eceiver to +5, and overall volume..., actually, nvm, i'll just record a video to show what i mean in a bit, it's just that it feel highly unconfortable to see it moving that much, it extrudes as much as i'd ever like to see my main speaker's mid bass driver extruding, a driver i assume is fairly high extrusion given how it moves and how not so hard it is

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
that was a fail
i'm sorry little mic, and the camera didn't capture it as well, but well, it extrudes quite a bit
btw, it sounded completely fine

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
but yes, that was really excessive, i would never go any higher than that, so knowing if it's gonna limit it self is just a curiosity

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
my room can't withstand it for one, bunch of stuff sounding like they are gonna fall

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
i'm still not quite getting the advatages of going line in over the thx input, like, i can adjust levels on the receiver, same for the crossover,
i'd assume the line ones would mostly be usefull for those without a sub pre out, just Lef and Right pre outs
Well I don't think it's an advantage to not be able to adjust your gain, but I don't know anything about this THX input. It reads like something that's meant to be used specifically with a receiver that has on board THX processing. Does your receiver have a setup routine that uses a mic?

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Well I don't think it's an advantage to not be able to adjust your gain, but I don't know anything about this THX input. It reads like something that's meant to be used specifically with a receiver that has on board THX processing. Does your receiver have a setup routine that uses a mic?
no, but the other defective receiver my granpa has is a THX onkyo, and he told me he used that one for movies, so, either way, i still don't get what else would it possibly have go through the THX input, aside from level and crossover adjustments, something i can do from the receiver i'm currently using

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis