Has Dolby Home Atmos Been a Step Forward for Home Audio?

Do you think Dolby's Home Atmos hasbeen a positive move on the whole for home audio?

• Yes, Home Atmos has been a move in the right direction.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Dolby's Home Atmos has overall been good for home audio but has some flaws.

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Home Atmos has become a misbegotten mess for home audio.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • I don't know what a Dolby Home Atmos is. Help, I am lost and scared!

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You guys could be the next big comedy duo.:D You should take this show on the road.;)

A

Andrew B

Audiophyte
The industry has done very little to dissuade those who think they're upgrading, but really aren't. Here's what they don't tell the average consumer:
  • There is very little Atmos-native content, especially with streaming services
  • Even when set up and performing properly, the audible difference is slight
  • In most cases, room acoustics are usually poor or not considered
  • Money would be far better spent in upgrading a traditional 5.1 system
I know it's all about making money, but in an industry plagued by plenty of snakeoil as it is, this doesn't help.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
I disagree with your assessment when it comes to HT.
There is a lot of Atmos content on physical media. There is a huge difference! You do have to have your room set up correctly; on this I agree.
If you are only referring to streaming, then you are not far off at this point in time.

A

Andrew B

Audiophyte
I agree -- IF you understand it, and IF you employ physical media and IF you have your space well-designed, it's fine. Could even be money well-spent.

I'm simply saying for someone with about $1500 invested in home theatre sound who watches streaming content, or has a setup in a wonky room, the money is better spent elsewhere.

H

HighPowerDude

Audiophyte
I think this article should have been titled, “How Dolby Atmos took over the world.” By every measure, Atmos is a resounding success, in home audio and theatrically. Every home theater receiver carries it and virtually every major speaker company carries Atmos speakers. To say it’s the biggest advance since surround sound is like saying a motorcycle is an improvement over a bicycle. Sennheiser and Dolby recently teamed up to put it in cars! Today, over 2,700 movie screens, over 200 mixing facilities and over 75 countries enjoy it. Every home theater installer incorporates Dolby Atmos and spatial audio technologies. If you want to put a smile on your guests faces, let them hear Atmos for the first time. Even if it’s not done great, it’s like, what’s that? The best implementation I heard had bass coming from overhead. Yup, when rain falls or an explosion is heard overhead or scary things are dropping out of the sky, it grips you with an immersive experience that you never forget – and never want to be without!
A big thumbs up to James Larson for the awesome work he's done with subwoofers and audio in general. Hopefully your appreciation for Atmos becomes more positive.
Cheers

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Atmos is trash unless you got the proper set up , I can’t even notice the front heights when I tried it but I don’t have really any Atmos sources , I’d imagine it to help a lot more
With in ceiling speakers tho .. don’t have a 9ch avr yet .

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Atmos is trash unless you got the proper set up , I can’t even notice the front heights when I tried it but I don’t have really any Atmos sources , I’d imagine it to help a lot more
So what you're saying is you haven't actually heard proper Atmos?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
So what you're saying is you haven't actually heard proper Atmos?
was trying to say those bounce off ceiling Atmos aren’t that good .
I don’t have any sources for Atmos maybe a couple films .
Yeah I would not consider 2 heights channels as Atmos definitely need a 9ch avr … for true Atmos ..
Does Atmos work well with non Atmos encoded sources?
Can’t use in ceilings my dad probably won’t allow it , maybe I’ll wait til more streaming services offer Atmos.
I’m still using a old 2015 avr for the most part downstairs , the newer Atmos one is only 7ch but in bedroom. Don’t notice any effects from front heights, not like pro logic 2 z.

until I find a remedy for ear pain in my left ear I don’t think adding Atmos would do me any good yet ..

Last edited:
K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I have ceiling and I have upfiring. 2 different rooms. Yes ceiling is preferable and better and where you can do that you should.

However, for the other room (where it's not possible to cut holes), the upfiring do have an effect that is favorable. I upmix to Dolby Surround for almost all my TV content. I do think it expands the sound bubble overall.

I wouldn't have invested heavy in the upfiring but got 4 like new for ~$100 and have not regretted having them.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
GET THE FUKK OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!

You don’t have ANY Atmos, so you can say ZERO!!!! Absolutely ZERO about it.
Even set up in a less than optimal fashion, Atmos is better than NO Atmos.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
But, since it’s on now, I’m gonna’ throw a shout out to DTS:X. Yeah, I said it in an Atmos thread. Come get me. Don’t wear a wig myself, but I can flip a f#%kin’ table!:D

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
GET THE FUKK OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!

You don’t have ANY Atmos, so you can say ZERO!!!! Absolutely ZERO about it.
Even set up in a less than optimal fashion, Atmos is better than NO Atmos.
nah it’s just an evolution of the prologic heights essentially, maybe I don’t have a bedroom optimized for Atmos .. I was using satellites tho for that channel maybe I’ll turn the volume up on them and see if it’s better.
clearly I’m wrong if everyone loves Atmos . .. it’s still not supported on cable but there audio quality sucks anyways …

My bedroom system has Atmos I just don’t have my 4k tv hooked up only a few 4k films zz ..
Most movies aren’t encoded for Atmos except the new 4k and Blu-ray stuff …
so if it’s so revolutionary it’s not been adopted by any movie theaters near me . Aura 11.1 is best Ive heard ..
Probably will end up obsolete replaced by something else .. and what percentage of the sound comes from it? ? 10%? Or more

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It’s always a joy to watch this one cycle out when his requests for a raise in allowance are denied.:rolleyes: Not sure who’d get a pop in the mouth first but I’d probably start with the parents for not looking into institutions years ago. Not judgin’, just ponderin’.;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
nah it’s just an evolution of the prologic heights essentially, maybe I don’t have a bedroom optimized for Atmos .. I was using satellites tho for that channel maybe I’ll turn the volume up on them and see if it’s better.
clearly I’m wrong if everyone loves Atmos . .. it’s still not supported on cable but there audio quality sucks anyways …

My bedroom system has Atmos I just don’t have my 4k tv hooked up only a few 4k films zz ..
Most movies aren’t encoded for Atmos except the new 4k and Blu-ray stuff …
so if it’s so revolutionary it’s not been adopted by any movie theaters near me . Aura 11.1 is best Ive heard ..
Sorry NOOB. You’re wrong. There are HUNDREDS of BD’s with Atmos on them. Plus DTSX, and DSU and DTSNX for older tracks. So you don’t need 4K. Cable and satellite so don’t really carry Atmos, but LOTS of streaming services do. There are also hundreds of Atmos theaters out in the wild. Maybe not by you, but surprise! Your little bubble is small compared to the rest of the world.

If your first sentence is saying the Atmos is an evolution of Pro Logic, you really have no idea.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis