Can Sony 360 Reality Audio Compete with Dolby Atmos Music?

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
There are now two competing surround-music formats vying for your immersive listening. Dolby Atmos Music has the backing of Apple (as Spatial Audio) and its #2 music streaming service Apple Music, only behind Spotify in regular subscribers. The up-and-coming competitor, Sony's 360 Reality Audio competes directly with Atmos Music on both Tidal and Amazon Music HD. I've been listening to both formats over a multi-channel speaker systems and I think either one has great potential.

btw: 360RA doesn't require a special speaker layout, it can sound great on a system intended for Atmos.

In this article I ask... What the heck is Sony thinking, picking a "format war" with Dolby Atmos in music?
And is the world finally ready to embrace surround-music in these new object-based formats?

I found the new "object-based" format wars and the rise of Dolby Atmos to be an interesting story of today's audio tech. But Sony vs. Dolby may be a sideshow to Dolby's competition with Fraunhofer and the MPEG.

Sony 360 Reality Audio Vs. Dolby Atmos Music: The New Format Wars
3d-Music-Formats.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
There are now two competing surround-music formats vying for your immersive listening. Dolby Atmos Music has the backing of Apple (as Spatial Audio) and its #2 music streaming service Apple Music, only behind Spotify in regular subscribers. The up-and-coming competitor, Sony's 360 Reality Audio competes directly with Atmos Music on both Tidal and Amazon Music HD. I've been listening to both formats over a multi-channel speaker systems and I think either one has great potential.

btw: 360RA doesn't require a special speaker layout, it can sound great on a system intended for Atmos.

In this article I ask... What the heck is Sony thinking, picking a "format war" with Dolby Atmos in music?
And is the world finally ready to embrace surround-music in these new object-based formats?

I found the new "object-based" format wars and the rise of Dolby Atmos to be an interesting story of today's audio tech. But Sony vs. Dolby may be a sideshow to Dolby's competition with Fraunhofer and the MPEG.

Sony 360 Reality Audio Vs. Dolby Atmos Music: The New Format Wars
View attachment 66103
Sounds like Betamax all over again, and the Sony Minidisc episode.

This is a bad move. Studios are not going to invest in two mastering systems. So they will pick one or the other, and then our gear will get more expensive as they will need two decoders installed, plus I bet there will be two licences to buy. This is totally bad news. Yes, it looks as if we could get three. So I see a universal decoder on the horizon, which likely will do a lousy job with all of them.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
10% of people listen to music with their HT system.

And what percentage of these “HT systems” consists of a decent system that’s not a HTIB/cheap-a$$ system?

And then what percentage of these will have an ATMOS or equivalent system?

It’s still going to be a very small niche market whether it’s Dolby ATMOS or something else.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Haven’t read the article yet. But on the surface, this is stupid. I’ve heard of Sonys 360 format. But…smh…WHY!!!!!
Also. My comment is NOT to say anything against Wayde. 100% against Sony.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
DSP for music use, not for me. I have no use of DSP for music. To each thier own I say. I have every DSP Sound Field turned off on my Yamaha.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It is what it is. Qobuz and THX also have a “Spatial Audio” format going on and the lot of them are meant for headphones even if the Dolby Atmos and 360 Reality Audio versions can be had on a surround systems with supporting components and services. That’s where the rub is as different device and service combos will deliver different results to different connected systems. Anyone wanting to check either format out for music on their system had better do some homework.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Haven’t read the article yet. But on the surface, this is stupid. I’ve heard of Sonys 360 format. But…smh…WHY!!!!!
Also. My comment is NOT to say anything against Wayde. 100% against Sony.
I debated a headline that went something like... Another Sony Format War?
Sony's gonna Sony.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I debated a headline that went something like... Another Sony Format War?
Sony's gonna Sony.
I laughed reading this! While maybe not as professional, it would have been much funnier!!

H

HTEnthusiast

Audioholic Intern
I listen almost exclusively to Apple Music on Apple AirPods Max headphones. In this arrangement, I think spacial audio is actually a bit better sounding than simple stereo. I also stream movies on my AppleTV at night when my wife is upstairs sleeping, and they do a marvelous job with movies. I’m not a fan of it for music listening through speakers.

I have changed from complicating my home theater being a dual function room for music and movies, having a stereo preamp with home theater bypass…etc. I now only listen solely through my Anthem AVM70 8K. I used to listen to music 80% of the time and movies 20%. I’m now pretty much 90% movies/streamed shows/music videos and 10% traditional stereo music. Additionally, I have now come around to listening to Dolby or Anthems proprietary post processing modes for stereo listening. I find those modes are doing a much better job of adding a bit of soundstage to stereo music vs. totally destroying the experience like they used to.

The music landscape has been a dumpster fire for a long time now. It started with a stable PCM 44.1. Then things went off the rails with 96/24, 88/24, 192/24, 386/24, DSD, DSD 2X, DSD 4X, MQA, SACD, DVD Audio and who knows what other variations. Every they added a format, there was almost no content and you needed an at least a new DAC. I not only lost interest in keeping up with it, but more importantly drifted in frustration from listening to music in general.

I’m not interested in any kind of format that’s not compatible with the DTSX & Atmos home theater landscape.

Big-Q

Big-Q

Junior Audioholic
I listen to headphones/earbuds when doing yard work or traveling. In those environments, anything above MP3 is a waste of time. For me, nothing beats a quality 2-channel system in a dedicated listening room. The reality of who is listening and where they are listening means few know the goodness of what the above 2-channel experience can offer.

I do not buy into the argument “as the artist intended” and clearly as we add processing tricks, this statement becomes even more false.

I am sure a full-blown blown properly set up immersive surround sound system using the latest state-of-the-art processing sounds amazing. This is a niche market segment and always will be. For the most part, this is a United States-only event with home theater as most of the world does not have the space to implement it (small living spaces mostly apartments).

For those who can implement it, knock yourselves out. For the rest of us, it really does not matter. How do I know this, Spotify still leads the market by a huge margin and that is all lossless content.

“In the lead as of 2022, is Spotify with a global subscriber market share of 30.6 percent, followed by Apple Music at 13.7 percent, Tencent Music at 13.4, and Amazon at 13.3 percent. Other competitors include YouTube Music and Deezer.” Statista

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I listen to headphones/earbuds when doing yard work or traveling. In those environments, anything above MP3 is a waste of time. For me, nothing beats a quality 2-channel system in a dedicated listening room. The reality of who is listening and where they are listening means few know the goodness of what the above 2-channel experience can offer.

I do not buy into the argument “as the artist intended” and clearly as we add processing tricks, this statement becomes even more false.

I am sure a full-blown blown properly set up immersive surround sound system using the latest state-of-the-art processing sounds amazing. This is a niche market segment and always will be. For the most part, this is a United States-only event with home theater as most of the world does not have the space to implement it (small living spaces mostly apartments).

For those who can implement it, knock yourselves out. For the rest of us, it really does not matter. How do I know this, Spotify still leads the market by a huge margin and that is all lossless content.

“In the lead as of 2022, is Spotify with a global subscriber market share of 30.6 percent, followed by Apple Music at 13.7 percent, Tencent Music at 13.4, and Amazon at 13.3 percent. Other competitors include YouTube Music and Deezer.” Statista
You are absolutely correct. Most systems should be, and would be better off being stereo systems plus a sub if possible. There has been a trend to higher sensitivity and therefore higher F3s in speaker design in recent years. This makes a sub or two more desirable.

My only caveat is that there is a place for 3.1. I do think most do like a picture with their audio now. We do have one AV system in our great room, and that is mainly used for TV. Now the BBC don't believe in a center channel. When we watch BBC via VPN, the sound is excellent in stereo. However, US networks seem to almost exclusively mix in Dolby 5.1 now. In this situation there does seem to be a definite benefit to the center channel. That system is 3.1.

The big issue is that we have horrid sound bars or an AV receiver as the main options. All these receivers are stuffed with amps, that people feel they are compelled to use, even if the surroundings are totally unsuitable, which I think most are.

You are correct, to do Atmos systems properly it does require an integrated design of which the room is a major, if not the major determinant of success.

What is lacking in all this is an absolute dearth of two and three channel AV receivers. This should be the major market.

You are spot on, that this multichannel craze and especially Atmos is a particularly American obsession.

Even so it is niche here. Today I just had my security system revamped and upgraded. When the house was built, the outfit that handled the installation also did home AV installations. However I found out today they have dropped the AV part of the business due to lack of demand. The owner said AV is just too niche to be viable, at least here in the Twin Cities Metro.

I have long thought that the design of our AV systems is all wrong. The system needs more flexibility and be modular based, so you can just build a system round amps and speakers that are actually practical to use.

If changes are not made, by the major players, sound bars will be the only option for AV, or the few will have to pay a fortune for AVRs and AVPs.

From what I am hearing on the street around here, AV as we know and understand it here is in grave danger of continuing decline.

I just wish that people would realize how good a two channel AV system is. I have one of those also, and it beats most systems with more channels by a country mile.
What is required is more quality and not more channels for the majority.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I don't want to ever hear you go on about the excellent Dolby Atmos tracks on the Digital Concert Hall ever again after that post. You can only work both sides of the street for so long before getting hit by a truck crossing it.;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I don't want to ever hear you go on about the excellent Dolby Atmos tracks on the Digital Concert Hall ever again after that post. You can only work both sides of the street for so long before getting hit by a truck crossing it.;)
I think you are misunderstanding mine and Big-Qs point. We are not decrying the science and engineering of Dolby Atmos or any of the multichannel formats.
What we are questioning is its world wide acceptance and practicality. The fact remains that in our view it is not practical for most. In the world, and we mean the whole world, it is not in the realms of practicality for most. Further so many systems would be improved by two better channels than more.

The point of all of this is that there is a point coming, if not already reached that the design building and marketing of equipment for these formats becomes a losing economic proposition. We may well have reached that point already.

I am a nerd. I plead guilty. I am that unusual enthusiast who can build equipment, and especially speakers of a quality and performance that could be afforded by a minute segment of the population, even if some of this equipment were to exist, which it does not. So what I have built has been done on the relative cheap and on an extensive scale. There is no way I could have a system of the performance I have, if I were not an inveterate DIYer.

As far as the BPO Atmos streams. From my correspondence with them, I understand most are availing themselves of this technology via headphones and not speakers. This is what I suspected.

So, the point I, and I think Big-Q are making, is that the future of all this technology is uncertain from an economic and practical point of view and not from a technical point of view. So this has to be looked at from a global consumer perspective. That is the point.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I misunderstood nothing and my remarks were directed at you and no other. A skilled enthusiast you are for sure. You are also an insufferable blow hard at times and nobody frequenting these forums is unfamiliar with your disdain for multichannel AVRs and your ability to express that distain while derailing a thread. But, nothing tickles me more than when you call somebody a twat so I forgive you everything.;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis