HALO TV series on Paramount Network

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Wow. Episode 4 is amazing. Suspense. Intense. Character (John, Kai, Riz, Vannak, Soren) and plot (Halo ring) development.

Seeing Kai's development is so cool. Love it.

I have to watch Episode 4 again. Freaking awesome. :D
It's definitely picking up the pace since episode 1. The character Kwan is really starting to annoy me. Especially in Episode 4. They need to stop giving her character so much screen time. She's the worst part of the show in my opinion. But everyone else is doing a great job.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's definitely picking up the pace since episode 1. The character Kwan is really starting to annoy me. Especially in Episode 4. They need to stop giving her character so much screen time. She's the worst part of the show in my opinion. But everyone else is doing a great job.
She was annoying from the 1st episode. I was expecting them to kill off her character.

Who cares about the regular annoying people? They just need to focus on the Spartans (especially John and Kai) and Makee. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
She was annoying from the 1st episode. I was expecting them to kill off her character.

Who cares about the regular annoying people? They just need to focus on the Spartans (especially John and Kai) and Makee. :D
I agree. Focus on the Spartans more.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched episode 5 last night. PQ has been good so far, but AQ not so much. For being an expensive show to make I'm really surprised the AQ is not top notch. If you've watched Ep5 let me know what your thoughts were regarding the sound.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched episode 5 last night. PQ has been good so far, but AQ not so much. For being an expensive show to make I'm really surprised the AQ is not top notch. If you've watched Ep5 let me know what your thoughts were regarding the sound.
I think the SQ has been very good. I think I have to increase the volume a few dB. But other than that, I think the Dolby Atmos has been good overall.

Are you getting PCM or BITSTREAM? Is your Yamaha showing “Dolby Atmos” or “PCM” on the front LCD?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I think the SQ has been very good. I think I have to increase the volume a few dB. But other than that, I think the Dolby Atmos has been good overall.

Are you getting PCM or BITSTREAM? Is your Yamaha showing “Dolby Atmos” or “PCM” on the front LCD?
I will check tonight and see what it say's. I'm pretty sure its Bitstream and Dolby Surround. Does your display say "Dolby Atmos"? My a5200 only says "Dolby Surround".

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I will check tonight and see what it say's. I'm pretty sure its Bitstream and Dolby Surround. Does your display say "Dolby Atmos"? My a5200 only says "Dolby Surround".
Yes, my Yamaha says "Dolby ATMOS" on the front LCD.

"Dolby Surround" means you are UPMIXING something to DSU. It should also say what the original signal is. Does it also say "Dolby Digital" and then say "Dolby Surround" or "PCM" and then say "Dolby Surround"?

Or just change the surround format to "STRAIGHT". Then it will not Upmix and just show you what the signal is.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Yes, my Yamaha says "Dolby ATMOS" on the front LCD.

"Dolby Surround" means you are UPMIXING something to DSU. It should also say what the original signal is. Does it also say "Dolby Digital" and then say "Dolby Surround" or "PCM" and then say "Dolby Surround"?

Or just change the surround format to "STRAIGHT". Then it will not Upmix and just show you what the signal is.
I hope I'm not upmixing! I've had "Dolby Surround" on since owning the a5200. I was just in the settings last weekend and everything looked good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hope I'm not upmixing! I've had "Dolby Surround" on since owning the a5200. I was just in the settings last weekend and everything looked good.
"Dolby Surround" on the front LCD means it IS UPMIXING! :D

"Dolby Surround" = DSU Upmixing

If the front LCD just says "Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Atmos, DTSX", then it is NOT Upmixing.

So set it to STRAIGHT for now. Then it will NOT Upmix anything.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched Ep. 7 last night. I'm sure there will be a mixed bag on this episode. Whether or not you care about this specific storyline at all.

Personally, only like Soren's character in this episode. I don't really care for the Kwan Ha story at all. Her character annoys me.

Anyone else watch this weeks episode?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Ep. 7 last night. I'm sure there will be a mixed bag on this episode. Whether or not you care about this specific storyline at all.

Personally, only like Soren's character in this episode. I don't really care for the Kwan Ha story at all. Her character annoys me.

Anyone else watch this weeks episode?
I mainly care about the main 4 Spartans (John, Kai, Riz, Vannak) and Makee. :D

Soren is okay, but he's not quite a full Spartan. :D

I couldn't care less about that annoying whinny Kwan or the rest of the annoying regular humans. :D

So to me, Episode 7 SUCKED.

I hope they don't do that again. Jeez, it's okay to give these people a few minutes of each episode. But the whole episode? That's too much to ask.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So to me, Episode 7 SUCKED.
I hope they don't do that again. Jeez, it's okay to give these people a few minutes of each episode. But the whole episode? That's too much to ask.
You are not alone, look at episode ratings across the series:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2934286/episodes?season=1
For extra rage feel free to read Ep7 reviews :)

The director of the episode is most famous for being a second unit director on Mad Men. I'm specifically not bringing gender as I think that the person badly lacks the experience.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
You are not alone, look at episode ratings across the series:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2934286/episodes?season=1
For extra rage feel free to read Ep7 reviews :)

The director of the episode is most famous for being a second unit director on Mad Men. I'm specifically not bringing gender as I think that the person badly lacks the experience.
Yeah, the general consensus I'm seeing out there is that Ep7 is the worst episode so far. There was no need to spend an entire episode on Kwan Ha's character. Nobody cares. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw Episode 8 last night. NO KWAN crap. So it was back to normal good. :D

More character development between John and Makee, John and the other 3 Spartans (particularly Kai and Riz) and even John and Cortana!

I knew Kai and John had a good bond, but now I see that Riz also has a bond with John.

I get the feeling that John-Cortana relationship is gonna be awesome.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't watched ep 7 yet, but sounds like I might as well just skip it and go straight to 8... lol.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I saw Episode 8 last night. NO KWAN crap. So it was back to normal good. :D

More character development between John and Makee, John and the other 3 Spartans (particularly Kai and Riz) and even John and Cortana!

I knew Kai and John had a good bond, but now I see that Riz also has a bond with John.

I get the feeling that John-Cortana relationship is gonna be awesome.
I watched it last night as well. Agree, John and Cortana will be working together a lot more in the future. It’s 50/50 right now with Dr. Catherine, will she survive the season? Will John kill her? Will she escape somehow and live to see another season? Maybe she ends up working for the Covenant?….only 2 more episodes!!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched it last night as well. Agree, John and Cortana will be working together a lot more in the future. It’s 50/50 right now with Dr. Catherine, will she survive the season? Will John kill her? Will she escape somehow and live to see another season? Maybe she ends up working for the Covenant?….only 2 more episodes!!
Season 2 is already confirmed. Fully expect S01 to end with a cliff-hanger.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man... off to such a strong start to going completely off the rails. But then we got this weird ending... John no longer resembles Master Chief and it has just lost that feeling that made it Halo for me. Once again, we have a divided fan base with most original fans of the series left scratching their heads wondering wtf is going on...

I agree with this quote from the article.

"But hey, at least Chief had his helmet on.

I’m not kidding, the second John just shuts up and puts his helmet on, this feels like an entirely different show. The problem is that this has not been 99% of the series to this point though now that…may change. The Halo show may have just “fixed” its Master Chief, but done so in a truly bizarre fashion."

It's like we have 2 different main characters. Some stranger named John, then when he puts his helmet on and gets busy we get Master Chief.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Man... off to such a strong start to going completely off the rails. But then we got this weird ending... John no longer resembles Master Chief and it has just lost that feeling that made it Halo for me. Once again, we have a divided fan base with most original fans of the series left scratching their heads wondering wtf is going on...

I agree with this quote from the article.

"But hey, at least Chief had his helmet on.

I’m not kidding, the second John just shuts up and puts his helmet on, this feels like an entirely different show. The problem is that this has not been 99% of the series to this point though now that…may change. The Halo show may have just “fixed” its Master Chief, but done so in a truly bizarre fashion."

It's like we have 2 different main characters. Some stranger named John, then when he puts his helmet on and gets busy we get Master Chief.
Here is a quote by the shows creator " the show's focus was on its characters and their world, not on replicating the Halo video games."

I saw a post online from a writer of the show. He said that they didn't use anything from what drafted up. He didn't say the show was bad, but he said it's nothing like what he wrote. So, just saving face so he won't get blacklisted for criticizing it. :D

The last episode was alright. I'll give the first season a generous 7/10. It has some good moments, some bad moments, but was a decent sci-fi show.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis