Forty years ago, on August 9, 1974

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
It seems few people today have much to say about Watergate – one way or the other. I am quite happy to commemorate its 40th anniversary :D :D :D. And yes, it was very personal for me.

The Vietnam War was the main reason why I feel this way. By 1968-69 the war was already starting to wind down. The Johnson administration had finally gotten the word that the American public would no longer support a war there, and was looking for a way to end it. In the 1968 election, Nixon coasted to victory because of the intense division in the Democratic party and because he had promised an end to the war. At the time, I was too young to vote.

Instead of ending the war, that (expletive deleted) Nixon prolonged it another 5 years. As a result I got drafted. Very few guys wanted to be the last soldier killed in an unpopular and unjustified war the people at home didn't support. I was no different, so I enlisted in the Navy. I had served about 1½ years out of the required 4 when nearly all the combat troops came home from Vietnam. I was mad as hell.

In the 1972 election, the election contaminated by Watergate, I definitely didn't vote for that (expletive deleted). In fact, I believed that election was so contaminated by corruption that it's results should have been declared invalid.

It took less than 2 years for the American public come around and agree. It was marvelous to see him disgraced and run out of office, even though I still had another year left to serve in the Navy.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I can't stop Wallowing in Watergate. There were so many good political cartoons about it.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
In September of 1973 when I was in Washington for a week or two, the town was full impeachment talk.

Many cars had bumper stickers saying "Honk if you think he's guilty" with a picture of the White House, in case anyone didn't know who "he" was. Street vendors sold them all over town. I bought this poster:

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Wow.:confused:
Hyperbolic much?
No, not at all. Every conversation/debate I’ve had with dittohead’s and their ilk about foreign policy, the budget, immigration, etc. always starts out with their favorite whipping boy, the rampant & omnipotent “liberal” press and how put upon they feel by society at large because of their undue influence and obviously I have fallen under their sway, since I don’t have the ability to strain facts and come up with my own opinion, unlike them, who are paragons of free thought.

I was just at a friend’s wedding where I ran into an old nemesis, according to him, since I really don’t give a rats a$$ what he thinks because it’s never based on facts or common sense. So he searches me out and my friend begs him not to start his $hit, cause he knows I won’t think twice about shaming him publicly. He agrees and say’s we can talk about current events outside of the USA and isn’t it horrible how pro-Palestinian the press is in this Gaza situation? WTF are you talking about? What alternate universe are you living in? You don’t think the Israeli’s get a fair shake in this country? I requested that he leave and go crawl under whatever rock he came from and I begged him to please not procreate, while he was at it.

So no, I don’t feel hyperbolic at all.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Who is this "they" I keep hearing about from the far right? Is there a secret club with the obligatory secret handshake where "they" plan to burn Christian babies and pick on "poor" middle class white americans. The agenda never changes does it? It must be exhausting to feel so put upon by the "media" on a daily basis. You have you're own news station, Faux News, you have a say in the country; what more do you want? Stop complaining about the 'effin media and put forth some ideas on how to make this country work again and learn to compromise. It makes you look like spoiled children throwing a temper tantrum.

BTW, the conversation is about Nixon, not the "media" ... it's like broken record, over and over again. Lead, follow or get out of the way.
Yours was one of the best Nancy Pelosi imitations I've seen.
Extra points if you did it with her patented crazy eyes.:D

I forget what they say about people that assume? You've made many assumptions about me, all wrong.
Then took it and ran with the one word I used, "they" and formed out of whole cloth further assumptions about me and what I stand for.

I hope you haven't fallen for the oldest trick in politics. Divide and Conquer.
Here is one of my favorite human behavior / political links: Why People Are Irrational about Politics
I hope you'll take the time to read without bias.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Yours was one of the best Nancy Pelosi imitations I've seen.
Extra points if you did it with her patented crazy eyes.:D
No assumptions there, huh? :D:D:D
I forget what they say about people that assume? You've made many assumptions about me, all wrong.
Then took it and ran with the one word I used, "they" and formed out of whole cloth further assumptions about me and what I stand for.

I hope you haven't fallen for the oldest trick in politics. Divide and Conquer.
Here is one of my favorite human behavior / political links: Why People Are Irrational about Politics
I hope you'll take the time to read without bias.
Wow, I’m really impressed with all the big words in the article. I’m afraid that my wee little brain got bored and by the 6th paragraph my rational irrational brain got pissed about a “theory” that can barely be understood. People are biased, unlike you of course … what a revelation. :eek: Gee, I base my opinions on my socio-economic interests and cultural upbringing … who’da thunk it? :confused:

You’re right I have made some assumptions about your views, all based on your various response’s to various threads here on AH, just like you have about me based on my response’s. Guilty … I’ve got my Nancy Pelosi “crazy eyes” look as I write this. :D

So I can assume that you’re not an admirer of the other “crazy eyes” phenom’s, like Sarah Palin or Bachman … funny that the “look” we describe is usually attributed to women, not that were being sexist here mind you … and just a plain ‘ol country club Republican in the William F. Buckley conservative mold? Or am I just a confused rational irrational liberal … registered Independent, BTW, who has voted for both party’s candidate’s at one time or another in my lifetime ... sometimes twice :D … who doesn’t understand you and your unique world-view?

Listen I think there are enough morons on both sides of the divide to fill a special needs class. I understand that people will disagree. What I don’t understand is how they have held us hostage to their bickering, sometimes within their own party and their refusal to compromise, for so long. Nothing would make me happier than to see a centrist 3rd party come to the fore, make some decisions, see if they work or not and then amend accordingly ... but judging by todays political mores, where's the fun in that, huh? :mad: A pox on both their houses.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
No, not at all. Every conversation/debate I’ve had with dittohead’s and their ilk about foreign policy, the budget, immigration, etc. always starts out with their favorite whipping boy, the rampant & omnipotent “liberal” press and how put upon they feel by society at large because of their undue influence and obviously I have fallen under their sway, since I don’t have the ability to strain facts and come up with my own opinion, unlike them, who are paragons of free thought.

I was just at a friend’s wedding where I ran into an old nemesis, according to him, since I really don’t give a rats a$$ what he thinks because it’s never based on facts or common sense. So he searches me out and my friend begs him not to start his $hit, cause he knows I won’t think twice about shaming him publicly. He agrees and say’s we can talk about current events outside of the USA and isn’t it horrible how pro-Palestinian the press is in this Gaza situation? WTF are you talking about? What alternate universe are you living in? You don’t think the Israeli’s get a fair shake in this country? I requested that he leave and go crawl under whatever rock he came from and I begged him to please not procreate, while he was at it.

So no, I don’t feel hyperbolic at all.
If you get into it with right-wing acquaintances and relatives who just can not avoid political discussion, the thing to do is take a much harder right stance from their positions and tell them they have been brainwashed by the liberal media. Angrily accuse them of being marxist pawns of Barbara Streisand. If they object, cover your ears and close your eyes and shout out the national anthem in an aggressive manner.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… marxist pawns of Barbara Streisand…
:D LOL :D

One of the reasons why I chose to discuss Watergate, is because this nation was severely divided over the Vietnam War. It was much worse than anything I've witnessed lately including the drumbeat for war in Iraq in 2003.

The lasting legacy of Watergate and Nixon's subsequent leaving office was that it ended the prowar/antiwar argument and united the country, at least for a while.

Last edited:
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I like the shirts I've bought that we're made in Vietnam better than those from China.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
sorry late to the party

I too fondly remember the time. I was too young to understand much of the 60s events at a deep level being of single digit age. But I was old enough to understand and lucky enough to see the Washington Post every day as Watergate unfolded. My first exposure to newspapers and current events shaped how I feel about them ever since: I have no tolerance for the unread and uniformed who feel entitled to complain about anything. Less for those too lazy to vote. No vote, no right to complain.

My favorite comic from the day Nixon quit (Doonesbury):

Attachments

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
August, 1974 was the first summer of my teenage years.

All I remember was the sight of the president looking into the camera all slack-jowls and droopy-dog eyes, arms raised flying double-barrel peace signs and mumbling something along the lines of "I am NOT a D.I.C.K!"

'May be a little foggy on that, though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Actually, Alex, you might consider reading the Clean Water Act and judge for yourself. As for the Endangered Species Act, I suspect the environmental lobby would like to build a monument to Congress and Nixon for making it law. Without it there wouldn't be the spotted owl fiasco, and old growth forests probably wouldn't exist outside of national parks in the Pacific Northwest. I'm not a fan of Nixon myself, he was a pretty hateful guy; it surprised me when my wife pointed out these odd facts to me. Regarding OHSA, perhaps you could send me a PM and tell me why you hate it so much. I'm honestly curious.
I really hate when I get things wrong, so in the interest of full disclosure I recently found I was only half right about the Clean Water Act. It really was passed into law during the Nixon Administration, but there was catch. Apparently, the bill was sent to Nixon by Congress, and he vetoed it. And then both Houses overrode his veto and it became law. The devil is in the details. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Late to the party, but wanted to add some perspective here.

Government bureaucrats eff up everything, but, unfortunately, OSHA is still badly needed.

Having worked in the Appalachians of Western NC, I have seen employees walking in 3" deep water to flip 480V switch every morning and night as a job requirement. After a couple of weeks, someone had the fine idea to give them a pallet to step on. The Plant Manager (who I genuinely believe was a sociopath) was aware of the situation, but the cost of repairing a leaky roof over the circuit panel was too high (this was not a low rent operation - profits exceeded $1 million/month - 120 employees). It got fixed after I wrote an anonymous letter to corporate HQ with a photo of the water, pallet, and panel. While I didn't make the threat, knowing it could get reported to OSHA was certain to be in the back of corporate's mind.

Then there was the paint vendor we had that told me about a plant he used to visit in Texas. Every morning one of the illegal's duty was to walk to the back of the paint room and record the VOC level from a meter. The paint vendor noticed that the air pump to pull air through the gauge was broken and commented to the paint manager who laughed and said the meter quit working months ago, but as long as the guy could walk in there, take the recording, and walk out, it must be safe (I guess canaries cost more than people in his book, or maybe they keel over too quick).

It really is a catch 22. How do you keep bad people in positions of power from wholesaling human lives in order to maximize profit? Certainly it can be taken too far, and it definitely is on occasion, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Mass. is largely a civilized place. They still have state facilities for the mentally ill, while most (if not all?) other states just dumped them out on the street. Maybe, regulation is not so badly need to protect human welfare there. However, there are still places where the threat of OSHA is the only source of protection for employees.

As for the Clean Water Act, it has made some needed changes. This type of river scene does not happen anymore! It happened every few years before the act! (not a spill, just the accumulation of steady on-going pollution combined with a source of ignition)

As I said in the start. The gubberment effs up about everything, but as was said above on another topic, "not sure how you could do it differently". The problem is you have to come up with regulations to inhibit the bad guys; but how can you do that without applying them to everyone. It is not like bad guys have a mark on their forehead.
That said, there are plenty of cases where OSHA has adopted a Barney Fife mentality!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis