Forty years ago, on August 9, 1974

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Today is August 9, 2014. Forty years ago on this day…

"In the face of almost certain impeachment and removal from office due to the Watergate scandal, Richard Nixon became the only President of the United States to resign from office."

A quote from Richard Nixon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Because today's politics are so dominated by wide divisions and stalemated government, I get some pleasure from remembering the outcome of the Watergate scandal. In my lifetime, this country was never more united than it was in the final months of this unique event.

I was completely in favor of removing Nixon from office, like so many others at the time. I thought he was guilty of a criminal effort to subvert constitutional government in the USA. And I've never softened on that.

And now, after so many years, new evidence continues to come up showing what a crook he was:
During the 1968 presidential election, Richard Nixon campaign officials, through Anna Chennault, advised Saigon to refuse participation in peace talks, promising a better deal once elected.[SUP][5][/SUP] Defense Secretary Clark Clifford thought the move illegal, and President Lyndon B. Johnson called it treasonous, but did not want to reveal that the NSA was intercepting communications in Vietnam.

Logan Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
And in contrast, Nixon's administration resulted in the Clean Water Act and the Endangered Species Act.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I'd love to see the heads of politicians roll every day.
The problem is, there aren't real investigative reporters like Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein anymore.
Of course it's because they don't want them right now.

If Woodward and Bernstein were to investigate the deaths at the VA Hospital (no deaths in Watergate) and subsequent cover up, it would be called a phoney scandal and Woodward & Bernstein would be called racist hacks. :rolleyes:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
And in contrast, Nixon's administration resulted in the Clean Water Act and the Endangered Species Act.
It also resulted in the Occupational Health and Safety Act which is a completely self serving, money grubbing waste of my personal resources and paramount to f^%&ing slavery. I'd like to stab Nixon in the face for f^%&ing up a month of my Saturdays a couple of summers ago AND they're going to make me do it again and again and again ... all without pay.

I bet the other two acts are similarly geared. NFW it's about water, endangered species and safety.

Sorry, Irv. I contemplated making this a PM to not seem openly hostile but the truth is that I am openly hostile. Another truth is that IMO they're all the same and if the tables were turned I'd be worse than them ... of that last part I am certain.

Happy Sunday. :eek:

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Just goes to show what a great guy he was and completely misunderstood. Povero bambino :( ("poor baby" in Italian)

Nixon was pond scum and should be remembered as such.

I'd love to see the heads of politicians roll every day.
The problem is, there aren't real investigative reporters like Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein anymore.
Of course it's because they don't want them right now.

If Woodward and Bernstein were to investigate the deaths at the VA Hospital (no deaths in Watergate) and subsequent cover up, it would be called a phoney scandal and Woodward & Bernstein would be called racist hacks. :rolleyes:
Who is this "they" I keep hearing about from the far right? Is there a secret club with the obligatory secret handshake where "they" plan to burn Christian babies and pick on "poor" middle class white americans. The agenda never changes does it? It must be exhausting to feel so put upon by the "media" on a daily basis. You have you're own news station, Faux News, you have a say in the country; what more do you want? Stop complaining about the 'effin media and put forth some ideas on how to make this country work again and learn to compromise. It makes you look like spoiled children throwing a temper tantrum.

BTW, the conversation is about Nixon, not the "media" ... it's like broken record, over and over again. Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Just goes to show what a great guy he was and completely misunderstood. Povero bambino :( ("poor baby" in Italian)

Who is this "they" I keep hearing about from the far right? Is there a secret club with the obligatory secret handshake where "they" plan to burn Christian babies and pick on "poor" middle class white americans. The agenda never changes does it? It must be exhausting to feel so put upon by the "media" on a daily basis. You have you're own news station, Faux News, you have a say in the country; what more do you want? Stop complaining about the 'effin media and put forth some ideas on how to make this country work again and learn to compromise. It makes you look like spoiled children throwing a temper tantrum.

BTW, the conversation is about Nixon, not the "media" ... it's like broken record, over and over again. Lead, follow or get out of the way.
Relax ... alright?

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief

Here is a they....

Mobile Site Preview

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Last comment on journalism, it was intended to report not shape our political arena.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Because today's politics are so dominated by wide divisions and stalemated government, I get some pleasure from remembering the outcome of the Watergate scandal. In my lifetime, this country was never more united than it was in the final months of this unique event.
This is the part I want to focus on. There was widespread opinion that Nixon's acts were intolerable and he could not continue to be President. (There was considerably less consensus about prosecuting him, but that never happened. I was personally against prosecuting the resigned and disgraced Nixon, but I don't think it was right for Gerald Ford to issue a preemptive pardon.)

A long quote from Wikipedia (Watergate scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Initially, Nixon was given a positive reaction for his speech (April 29, 1974, when he released transcripts of selected tapes - which included the frequent and infamous "expletive deleted" notations). As people read the transcripts over the next couple of weeks, however, former supporters among the public, media and political community called for Nixon's resignation or impeachment. Vice President Gerald Ford said, "While it may be easy to delete characterization from the printed page, we cannot delete characterization from people's minds with a wave of the hand." The Senate Republican Leader Hugh Scott said the transcripts revealed a "deplorable, disgusting, shabby, and immoral" performance on the part of the President and his former aides. The House Republican Leader John Jacob Rhodes agreed with Scott, and Rhodes recommended that if Nixon's position continued to deteriorate, he "ought to consider resigning as a possible option." The editors of the newspaper The Chicago Tribune, a publication that had supported Nixon, wrote, "He is humorless to the point of being inhumane. He is devious. He is vacillating. He is profane. He is willing to be led. He displays dismaying gaps in knowledge. He is suspicious of his staff. His loyalty is minimal." The Providence Journal wrote, "Reading the transcripts is an emetic experience; one comes away feeling unclean." This newspaper continued, that, while the transcripts may not have revealed an indictable offense, they showed Nixon contemptuous of the United States, its institutions, and its people. According to Time magazine, the Republican Party leaders in the western states felt that while there remained a significant number of Nixon loyalists in the party, the majority believed that Nixon should step down as quickly as possible. They were disturbed by the bad language and the coarse, vindictive tone of the conversations in the transcripts.

And my favorite parts of the whole Watergate story, in regard to releasing the White House tapes:

On July 24, 1974, in United States v. Nixon, the US Supreme Court, which did not include the recused Justice William Rehnquist (who had recently been appointed by Nixon and had served as Assistant Attorney General of the Office of Legal Counsel in the Nixon Justice Department), ruled unanimously that claims of executive privilege over the tapes were void. They ordered the president to release them to the special prosecutor. On July 30, 1974, President Nixon complied with the order and released the subpoenaed tapes for the public.

These tapes revealed several crucial "smoking gun" conversations between Nixon and his top aides, that were previously unknown.

And finally,

The House Judiciary Committee voted 27-11 on July 27, 1974 (after a lengthy and thorough investigation) to recommend the first article of impeachment against the president: obstruction of justice. The second: abuse of power, and third: contempt of Congress articles were passed on July 29, 1974 and July 30, 1974, respectively. On August 20, 1974, the Committee would formally submit H. Rept. 93-1305 which included the text of the resolution impeaching President Nixon and setting forth articles of impeachment against him.

If anyone today doubts the widespread, approaching unanimous, national opinion to remove Nixon from the White House. Consider this: In the November 1974 (off-year) elections which followed a few months after Nixon's resignation, all 11 Congressmen who voted against the articles of impeachment lost re-election bids to return to Congress. They were all Republican, however, those Republicans who voted for the articles won their elections.

Anyone who dares defend Nixon, or indirectly defend him by attacking his accusers, must remember this.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It also resulted in the Occupational Health and Safety Act which is a completely self serving, money grubbing waste of my personal resources and paramount to f^%&ing slavery. I'd like to stab Nixon in the face for f^%&ing up a month of my Saturdays a couple of summers ago AND they're going to make me do it again and again and again ... all without pay.

I bet the other two acts are similarly geared. NFW it's about water, endangered species and safety.
Actually, Alex, you might consider reading the Clean Water Act and judge for yourself. As for the Endangered Species Act, I suspect the environmental lobby would like to build a monument to Congress and Nixon for making it law. Without it there wouldn't be the spotted owl fiasco, and old growth forests probably wouldn't exist outside of national parks in the Pacific Northwest. I'm not a fan of Nixon myself, he was a pretty hateful guy; it surprised me when my wife pointed out these odd facts to me. Regarding OHSA, perhaps you could send me a PM and tell me why you hate it so much. I'm honestly curious.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

I wasn't trying to defend him. I was just pointing out that he was a Republican who signed two of the most important pieces of environmental legislation in US history. The contrast fascinates me. I doubt the current Republican Party would do so.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

Wow.:confused:
Hyperbolic much?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I wasn't trying to defend him. I was just pointing out that he was a Republican who signed two of the most important pieces of environmental legislation in US history. The contrast fascinates me. I doubt the current Republican Party would do so.
I didn't think you were defending that (expletive deleted), although my post may have read like that. But recently, I have heard others (not here at AH) making similar comments to argue that Nixon wasn't really so bad.

Did OSHA and the EPA come before or after 1972? Any legislation that was passed during the 2 years after the 1972 election was influenced by his various efforts at political spin to counter the effects of Watergate.

He ended up unnecessarily prolonging US involvement in the war in Vietnam by some 5 years, but his public announcements always spoke of "peace with honor". What a crock. About 1½ years after the final large US troop withdrawal in early 1973, South Vietnam collapsed and went out of existence without putting up a significant effort to defend itself.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
When that got announced I was watching Box Car Bertha on the USS Tripoli (from San Diego to Iwakuni Japan) and we where just crossing the day date line.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't think you were defending that (expletive deleted), although my post may have read like that. But recently, I have heard others (not here at AH) making similar comments to argue that Nixon wasn't really so bad.

Did OSHA and the EPA come before or after 1972? Any legislation that was passed during the 2 years after the 1972 election was influenced by his various efforts at political spin to counter the effects of Watergate.

He ended up unnecessarily prolonging US involvement in the war in Vietnam by some 5 years, but his public announcements always spoke of "peace with honor". What a crock. About 1½ years after the final large US troop withdrawal in early 1973, South Vietnam collapsed and went out of existence without putting up a significant effort to defend itself.
The EPA was formed in 1970, according to its web page, and as I vaguely remember from the time it was modeled after CARB, the California Air Resources Board, which is widely credited with improving air quality in SoCal.

Vietnam is another matter. That's the gotcha with American history; you look at it too closely and unemotionally and it can be grotesque. I'm not so sure the repeating Iraq fiascos are all that much better. There's got to be something fundamentally wrong with a process that produces such poor leadership. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to improve it.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Vietnam is another matter. That's the gotcha with American history; you look at it too closely and unemotionally and it can be grotesque.
There is no way to look at the Vietnam War and have it not be grotesque.

There's got to be something fundamentally wrong with a process that produces such poor leadership. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to improve it.
Neither am I. The only forms of government worse than a representative republic are all the others.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis