nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Pony-up and sign your chiclets!

I finally got a red chiclet today for this thread…didn’t see that one coming, LOL! :rolleyes:

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
Nibhaz, thank you. Your post was as excellent as it was unexpected. I would however respectfully disagree with the following statement:

I would instead say that whilst one can know about something without experiancing it first hand, the only way to truly appreciate it is by experiancing it first hand.

Just wondering: Do you think we can tell that to all the Senators/Congressmen at the Capitol Hills? Can we tell them: Hey send your sons/daughters to Iraq as well..? I'm sure Matt will be glad to have a congressman's son/daughter by his side to protect him when there's fire...:D

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
What a fun, light-hearted thread. I'll add my 2 cents.

To be an American is to believe in freedom, yes? Freedom is the greatest and most important thing in the world and most of us Americans take it for granted every day. Iraq was a brutal dictatorship. The country was ruled with an iron fist, and while that may have given the country structure (unlike the total chaos now), it certainly didn't allow for people to think and live freely. Think about that for a minute, please. Think about what your life would be like if you couldn't do whatever you wanted whenever you wanted. Do any of us in America or Canada or Scotland (Robbie, sorry I don't know much about your government - you may be typing in shackles for all I know :p ) have any idea what it's like to have major restrictions put on our lives? Think about it for a minute.

No matter what our reasons are/were for liberating Iraq, the most important thing is that maybe those millions of people will get a taste of what it's like to be free and they will learn to live together and prosper. That's the dream!! That's why all of us smug, arrogant bastards can sit around and type endless BS at each other all day. It's great, isn't it?!

I don't care what Bush's agenda is. I'm not naive enough to think it's all about people's freedom, but if that's even 1% the reason why he had our troops invade, that's good enough for me. Can you imagine living in Saddam's Iraq, or one of those horrible African tribes, or in communist China, or being sent off to Siberia for no particular reason?!! I can't!! But I try to think about it every now and then to ground myself and put things in perspective.

If the U.S. is ever taken over and I'm forced to live like the people of Iraq did, you better believe I'm gonna hope some country decides to attack and restore my freedom. I know what it's like to live free. Those poor people over there don't. Hopefully they'll get to find out. Even if it takes 1 or 10 or 100 years to make it happen, isn't it worth it?

The U.S. can't be the world police. I know that. You can love Bush or you can hate him. It doesn't really matter, does it? I know we would all like to think our opinions matter, but let's face it, they really don't count for much at all. But we get to have them and express them. That's pretty nice. The fact is that we're (the U.S.) in Iraq. It happened. Get over it. It may not be what you'd have done, but you don't get to decide. I know that sucks - human nature tends to gravitate towards selfishness. But I think that we should all be glad that millions of people are getting a shot at freedom.

Now can we all get back to getting along? Of course we can all sit here and call each other names and pretend we are authorities on global politics, but really, who are we fooling? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't know what level of knowledge any of you are functioning at, and I sure don't know what it's like to walk in any of your shoes. The one thing I do know is that we all know what it's like to live freely. Let's not take it for granted. Let's put our arrogant, selfish differences aside and have some fun talking A/V.

Ahhhhh screw it. I know more than all of you. Fight on!! ;)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
alandamp said:
What a fun, light-hearted thread. ... Of course we can all sit here and call each other names and pretend we are authorities on global politics, but really, who are we fooling? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't know what level of knowledge any of you are functioning at, and I sure don't know what it's like to walk in any of your shoes. ... Let's put our arrogant, selfish differences aside and have some fun talking A/V. ...
but but but, I can change the world. :rolleyes:
mose sensible thing said in this thread.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Alandamp, would I be right in saying that your entire argument rests on the premise that it's ok to potentially do a wrong if it's for the greater good? Is that correct?

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Alan..too many things you said can be argued. But anyhow, I'm thinking about calling names from now on. You, you, you and you...are idiots! And that includes you, you over there, there, and there! :mad:

View attachment 2597

Ahhh...mountain dew..so refreshing..:rolleyes: Anybody want some?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
alandamp said:
What a fun, light-hearted thread. I'll add my 2 cents.

To be an American is to believe in freedom, yes? Freedom is the greatest and most important thing in the world and most of us Americans take it for granted every day. Iraq was a brutal dictatorship. The country was ruled with an iron fist, and while that may have given the country structure (unlike the total chaos now), it certainly didn't allow for people to think and live freely. Think about that for a minute, please. Think about what your life would be like if you couldn't do whatever you wanted whenever you wanted. Do any of us in America or Canada or Scotland (Robbie, sorry I don't know much about your government - you may be typing in shackles for all I know :p ) have any idea what it's like to have major restrictions put on our lives? Think about it for a minute.

No matter what our reasons are/were for liberating Iraq, the most important thing is that maybe those millions of people will get a taste of what it's like to be free and they will learn to live together and prosper. That's the dream!! That's why all of us smug, arrogant bastards can sit around and type endless BS at each other all day. It's great, isn't it?!

I don't care what Bush's agenda is. I'm not naive enough to think it's all about people's freedom, but if that's even 1% the reason why he had our troops invade, that's good enough for me. Can you imagine living in Saddam's Iraq, or one of those horrible African tribes, or in communist China, or being sent off to Siberia for no particular reason?!! I can't!! But I try to think about it every now and then to ground myself and put things in perspective.

If the U.S. is ever taken over and I'm forced to live like the people of Iraq did, you better believe I'm gonna hope some country decides to attack and restore my freedom. I know what it's like to live free. Those poor people over there don't. Hopefully they'll get to find out. Even if it takes 1 or 10 or 100 years to make it happen, isn't it worth it?

The U.S. can't be the world police. I know that. You can love Bush or you can hate him. It doesn't really matter, does it? I know we would all like to think our opinions matter, but let's face it, they really don't count for much at all. But we get to have them and express them. That's pretty nice. The fact is that we're (the U.S.) in Iraq. It happened. Get over it. It may not be what you'd have done, but you don't get to decide. I know that sucks - human nature tends to gravitate towards selfishness. But I think that we should all be glad that millions of people are getting a shot at freedom.

Now can we all get back to getting along? Of course we can all sit here and call each other names and pretend we are authorities on global politics, but really, who are we fooling? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't know what level of knowledge any of you are functioning at, and I sure don't know what it's like to walk in any of your shoes. The one thing I do know is that we all know what it's like to live freely. Let's not take it for granted. Let's put our arrogant, selfish differences aside and have some fun talking A/V.

Ahhhhh screw it. I know more than all of you. Fight on!! ;)
Good, thought-provoking post, alandamp. Thx.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Buckle-meister said:
Alandamp, would I be right in saying that your entire argument rests on the premise that it's ok to potentially do a wrong if it's for the greater good? Is that correct?
I think what I'm trying to say is that maybe we should look at this from the most simple perspective. What is to be gained by invading Iraq? Don't overlook the completely obvious answer. A better way of life for millions. That, of course, is if you see freedom as a better way of life.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
masak_aer said:
Alan..too many things you said can be argued.
An opinion can't be argued, because there is no right or wrong answer. There is only one's perspective. This is not a black and white argument. I'm not right, and I'm not wrong. Neither are you.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Buckle-meister said:
Here's something I've been wondering about: What is it exactly that allows a country potentially to impose sanctions, or failing satisfactory results from them invade another country in order to prevent that country from developing nuclear technology which may or may not lead to nuclear weapons being manufactured?

What is it exactly, when the country potentially imposing the sanctions or declaring war actually has developed nuclear technology itself and indeed has nuclear weapons in its arsenal?

What is it?
What do you think it is? Or should be?

In terms of international treaties, you might want to look at this expansive list. http://www.atomicarchive.com/Treaties/index.shtml These are what guide sanction imposition.

Certainly the most important of the bunch is the 1968 Nuclear Non-Proliferation Agreement signed by some 180+ countries. It gives important power to the U.N. and the International Atomic Energy Commission.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
alandamp said:
I'm not right, and I'm not wrong.
Not true. Whilst you are right in saying that an opinion cannot be argued, that doesn't necessarily mean that an opinion isn't right or wrong.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Buckle-meister said:
Not true. Whilst you are right in saying that an opinion cannot be argued, that doesn't necessarily mean that an opinion isn't right or wrong.
If the opinion isn't disputing something that can proven right or wrong, then it is only an opinion. I believe that my post contained nothing but incoherent rambling, and I made no claims that were disputable as far as I can tell.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Buckle-meister said:
You're doing it again. :rolleyes:
He's like Steve Carell in The 40 year old Virgin. He's trying to keep the focus on you :p .

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Buckle-meister said:
Now, now Robbie, a pensive chap such as you, surely knows that the concepts of right and wrong are more grey rather than black and white. Thinking and acting only in absolutes severely limits one from taking the proper course of action in many situations.

I simple example:

Rule one: It is wrong to hurt someone you care about.

Situation: Your best friend has an addiction problem. To make them confront their problem will surely hurt their feelings and cause them pain.

Now which is right and which is wrong? Violating rule one or saving your friend form desolation?

It’s not so much the action, but rather the intention that is important.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
sensible words

alandamp.

excellent posts:) you mentioned africa in your post & not knowing how bad it would be to live as they do under an iron thumb,i have seen a little of how those people suffer & its not good by anybody's description.

the company i work for recently had a project at one of the embassys in africa & locals were hired to help with labor,the government over there has VERY STRICT rules as to what & how you pay their people,less than $1 usd each day for 8 hours labor.

the men hired were really nice people who worked very hard each day with no shoes & never a bite to eat at lunch or break time & still for less than $1 usd each day,we got tired of watching these local men work for next to nothing so we all decided to pay them more out of our own pockets & gave them $50 each at the end of the day.

the next day we were all gathered aside & told by embassy officials that by giving the men that much cash we had unknowlingly caused civil unrest within their tribe & cost 1 man his life,it seems he was killed for his $50 bill,we later found out that all the money we gave them was taken by their tribal leader to buy weapons with.:mad:

if people who live under those type conditions cant count on the usa to stand up for them then they are truly screwed:(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis