For the love of god or whoever … VOTE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I voted yesterday. Like your experience, it was quite pain free - 20 minutes in-n-out, Texas style. Gave my "I Voted" sticker to my nine-year-old daughter. Apparently she was not impressed as I found stuck to my phone later on...
I was impressed.

It was very well organized and by the book. Only 6 people at a time were allowed inside this large room (35'x60') and everyone was kept far apart, for virus safety reasons obviously, but more importantly they couldn't sneak-a-peek at who you were voting for, for privacy reasons.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
42 minutes, but in my deep red county in GA, masks are not required!
We had 12 people in a room of around 27' X 24'.
In my group, one white guy in mid to late 30's with no mask and one white guy around 60 who kept his mask below his nose.
I was worried about the conditions (which are definitely less than ideal) before I went. This is the first time I wore a proper N95 mask (I have three from woodworking and been saving them for a situation like this or if the third wave gets really bad).
Hopefully anyone who is compromised (or is around compromised people) is using an absentee ballot. I was going to, but decided that I would feel better to actually see my voter card scanned into the system (along with my printed ballot).

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Sad. Why is it mostly white males who refuse to wear masks? Maybe its me but it is what I see here in north Florida. Like I said sad...

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
So I just saw a headline on my daily Washington Post newsletter this morning and I thought it was unduly optimistic, that “The U.S. has already hit 70 percent of total 2016 early voting”.

Well it seems it’s true and not just on this news service …
https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54572790

and that bodes well for our country.

Common sense is kicking in, between a healthy fear of the virus and how it’s been handled to date, and a need to seriously address the racial divide, the broken infrastructure and the tone-deaf attitude of our politicians; locally, in the state and nationally in Washington, D.C., never mind the nations embarrassing standing in the rest of the world at this time.

An informed electorate is an engaged electorate, ‘fake news’ and all.

This was confirmed personally after I walked out of our local courthouse to vote. I talked to three of my fellow voters; one a registered Republican, two Democrats and myself, an Independent, as we walked back to our cars, one who hasn’t voted since 2008, and we all agreed that things can’t continue as is and just worrying about the economy is shortsighted. Surprisingly this last point of view was voiced by the lone Republican in our group.

This gave me hope for the future of our beloved country and not to be so pessimistic about the American voter. Hopefully this continues into the future, even after this virus-crisis is behind us.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
This appeal goes out to the very few on this site who believe it’s a waste of time to cast your ballot in the upcoming presidential election and future elections.

It’s been my pleasure to discuss civilly the difficult issues that face our great country at this time on this site with almost everyone, without resorting to personal insults, propaganda, wacky conspiracy theories or a blind belief in one party on another.

The sad truth though is that only 42% to 48% of eligible citizens vote in any given year, which is scandalous. Below is a chart (Wikipedia) showing the percentages for presidential elections since our founding. It’s even worse for local and state elections.

The good news is that it’s been slowly going up and we need this trend to continue.

We’ve all been in conversations or arguments with family, friends, and sometimes strangers, at one time or another, where the sad state of affairs in this country is discussed ad nauseam and rightly so. And I’m more than happy to engage with you, on one condition.

Do you vote? If so, let’s gab and solve all the problems. :D If not … shut up!

Do your civic duty and vote!

If not for yourself, do it for your family and loved ones and for those that can’t.

You have a voice, use it.

Sincerely,
Mom :p
It's our duty, but many people wonder "What's the point, if nothing changes for the better?". Also, many people don't bother to get involved until it's time to complain about something.

I think it's ALWAYS time to complain about things- not because I just like to complain, but because there's so much to complain about.

Can we start a new political party called 'Disappointed'?

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I just saw a headline on my daily Washington Post newsletter this morning and I thought it was unduly optimistic, that “The U.S. has already hit 70 percent of total 2016 early voting”.

Well it seems it’s true and not just on this news service …
https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54572790

and that bodes well for our country.

Common sense is kicking in, between a healthy fear of the virus and how it’s been handled to date, and a need to seriously address the racial divide, the broken infrastructure and the tone-deaf attitude of our politicians; locally, in the state and nationally in Washington, D.C., never mind the nations embarrassing standing in the rest of the world at this time.

An informed electorate is an engaged electorate, ‘fake news’ and all.

This was confirmed personally after I walked out of our local courthouse to vote. I talked to three of my fellow voters; one a registered Republican, two Democrats and myself, an Independent, as we walked back to our cars, one who hasn’t voted since 2008, and we all agreed that things can’t continue as is and just worrying about the economy is shortsighted. Surprisingly this last point of view was voiced by the lone Republican in our group.

This gave me hope for the future of our beloved country and not to be so pessimistic about the American voter. Hopefully this continues into the future, even after this virus-crisis is behind us.
Good to hear.

I honestly think that this "all or nothing" approach people seem to think both parties have is incorrect. You have conservative democrats, you have moderate and even progressive republicans. (Please don't start a debate here. Let's be civil. We are adults after all). I also think that more of us have things in common than we do differences.

First thing being we're all Americans. We want this country to be good for everyone. Sure, there are plenty of people that just want things the way they want and screw everyone else, but those aren't the majority. They may be the loudest so it seems like it.

The fighting between parties is sad and silly. People are acting like children because someone isn't on their favorite team. Except this isn't a sport that has no real world consequences, this is choosing who runs our country. The party shouldn't matter in the slightest, but policies and character should.

Who cares if a republican votes for a democrat because they just happen to like their policies more? Towing the party line makes no sense. I find it totally impossible that someone can say a particular political party encompasses their values so totally that they need not look elsewhere. I also find it impossible that someone can say that a particular party agrees with and cares about everything their constituents care about and need.

There will always be disagreements between party members and between people of the "opposite" party. There should be. That's how we discuss things and make change happen. Hopefully for the better.

I just hope we see record turn out for elections this year. I haven't voted since I was 18 (so 18 years ago) and I plan to today. I want us to come together as a country again and get sh!t done for all of us. Screw this infighting nonsense we've dealt with for so long.

I'm going to vote for whomever I think will make good changes (or keep good things in place) and I don't care what party they are. Good people are good people.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Good to hear.

I honestly think that this "all or nothing" approach people seem to think both parties have is incorrect. You have conservative democrats, you have moderate and even progressive republicans. (Please don't start a debate here. Let's be civil. We are adults after all). I also think that more of us have things in common than we do differences.

First thing being we're all Americans. We want this country to be good for everyone. Sure, there are plenty of people that just want things the way they want and screw everyone else, but those aren't the majority. They may be the loudest so it seems like it.

The fighting between parties is sad and silly. People are acting like children because someone isn't on their favorite team. Except this isn't a sport that has no real world consequences, this is choosing who runs our country. The party shouldn't matter in the slightest, but policies and character should.

Who cares if a republican votes for a democrat because they just happen to like their policies more? Towing the party line makes no sense. I find it totally impossible that someone can say a particular political party encompasses their values so totally that they need not look elsewhere. I also find it impossible that someone can say that a particular party agrees with and cares about everything their constituents care about and need.

There will always be disagreements between party members and between people of the "opposite" party. There should be. That's how we discuss things and make change happen. Hopefully for the better.

I just hope we see record turn out for elections this year. I haven't voted since I was 18 (so 18 years ago) and I plan to today. I want us to come together as a country again and get sh!t done for all of us. Screw this infighting nonsense we've dealt with for so long.

I'm going to vote for whomever I think will make good changes (or keep good things in place) and I don't care what party they are. Good people are good people.
You took the words right out of my mouth brother.

This constant drumbeat of fear, anger, hatred for the ‘other’ and divisiveness gets old and serves no one but the professional politicians, the same people we need to weed out of our system of government, as much and soon as possible. Without the false promise of revolution ... ‘drain the swamp’ my ass; there’s more alligators now than I can remember ... which always seems to go tits up anyway.

Agree to disagree and then compromise and let’s fix the country, at least domestically, like we used to in the 50’s & early 60’s. Stop making unrealistic promises and give us some positive results that we can see and feel. And if it doesn't work, fix the mistakes and try again.

Yes we had baked in racism, women were discounted and other issues but things got done at the end of the day at least.

And No! I don’t have any desire to go back & recreate the past. To repeat, I just want us to compromise, get things done and stop acting like petulant children. It’s possible, we’ve done it before. Learn from our mistakes and try to fix them. With the operative word there being ... try. They’re not even pretending to do so now.

Our infrastructure is a mess. Railroads, bridges & roads, communications and the plundering of our natural resources right under our feet that we’ve been blessed with. Without any thought whatsoever for how we’ll need them to stay afloat in the future.

A quick-buck economy that serves only but a few and the looming existential threat of climate change. Just look at what’s happening in the Arctic & Antarctica kiddies to start with. Even the Pentagon has made contingency/war plans for, since they agree with the scientists.

The ‘Effin Pentagon! One of the most staid and conservative members of our society that I can think of. If that doesn’t convince you, I don’t know what will.

I don’t see why we don’t see this and act accordingly.

Why? Because the politicians know this and rather give us bread and circuses to distract us, than deal with the issues at hand. They’d rather ‘downplay’ it, as some dangerous moron recently said, like we're little children who can't handle the truth.

Wake up folks!

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
It's our duty, but many people wonder "What's the point, if nothing changes for the better?". Also, many people don't bother to get involved until it's time to complain about something.

I think it's ALWAYS time to complain about things- not because I just like to complain, but because there's so much to complain about.

So the answer is to just give up? I beg to differ.

I'm all for a third political party in this country. Not much to choose from when you only have two choices.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

I'm all for a third political party in this country. Not much to choose from when you only have two choices.
USA is not going to get a major third/fourth political party unless the current winners-takes-it-all-and-then-some-more-along-with-no-representation-for-the-loosers is changed.

@highfigh makes a very good point in the post you reply to, I think. Some pundits is upset that Green Party could "steal" votes from the Democrats, but so what? You can vote for anyone you want: It's you're right! Just know that the outcome might not be what you want.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Well, would that get a 270 electoral college? A majority on the senate or house? Or, enough to make a difference there?;)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Not a big fan of the electoral college here. I think the overall winner should get the election. Also I agree that it would be nice to have more than 2 viable parties. Not in my lifetime. :(

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Not a big fan of the electoral college here. I think the overall winner should get the election. Also I agree that it would be nice to have more than 2 viable parties. Not in my lifetime. :(
Well, without the electoral college third parties may become more viable as they would not take away states.
Last election was a prime example, 3 million+ and not enough, 2000 was another but on a smaller scale. There may have been another in history.

highfigh

highfigh

Where have I ever written anything about giving up being a good thing? I was referring to people who don't bother to show up.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Didn't get to go yesterday, but went this morning. Was there maybe 15 min. Now people can't say I can't complain. Even though that never stopped me.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My inner id today [PG Rated]
That man is going to have an aneurism. He's not wrong though. People really need to listen to both sides of an argument.

When I was forced to take Public Speaking in college one thing stuck with me forever that my professor said "If you can't argue both sides of an argument equally, then you shouldn't argue".

"Base your position on facts." Yep. Please let's start doing that.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
Good reference aggregating the latest data (even fivethirtyeight has linked to this site)

I've voted for almost every election that I could, but this year it's refreshing that literally everyone I know will be doing the same. And hopefully they all understand it's their damn civic duty to vote in every election they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis