For the love of god or whoever … VOTE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I'l steer clear of the news. I want to enjoy my day. I'll let you yahoos entertain me for a bit before I go get the car smogged and then come home to work in the yard. This election is the worst "reality" show on TV. But, the ratings are good so we're f#%ked. Do one small project today guys. You will have accomplished something productive in just one afternoon. That's more than our government has accomplished in decades.
i'm doing my weekly aquarium maintenance as i type ... then off to the bank , then to the pet supply store for cat food.. on the bus :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'd agree with that. I imagine their choices are mostly directed by the stuff that is in their face - like:
1 Covid 19
2 Civil unrest/BLM/Law & Order/Floyd (however you want to characterize it)
3 Racism ("Stand Back and Stand By", but also as reflected in travel bans, DACA, children in cages, etc)
4 Gender equality (extended to include LGBTQ)
5 Global Warming

This is the rare presidential election where the poop on the surface is so deep that kids are voting even though they may realize they do not have a deep understanding. In the past, I think people tended to not vote because they were "not into politics", but Trump has done an impressive job of emphasizing that politics has a significant role in their lives!
But voting based on emotions is a problem. Yes, the issues stir up all kinds of emotions, but finding solutions requires clear-headed thinking.

WRT DACA (which is different from children in cages), INS has been trying to reunite some of the kids with their families and the families have refused to come to the US to pick them up because they say it's too dangerous. If it's so dangerous, why isn't the WHOLE WORLD not trying to get Mexico and the Central American countries to treat their people better? I have never seen anything about making them change. I would also like to know why other countries are allowed to enforce their immigration laws.

This article should be compared with older ones about previous admins, to provide context.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/405712-aclu-parents-refusing-family-reunions-because-its-dangerous

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
i'm doing my weekly aquarium maintenance as i type ... then off to the bank , then to the pet supply store for cat food.. on the bus :)
Ha! I got you beat (Tuesday is my favorite day of "life with Covid")!
I am about to go to a picnic shelter (where we have room to social distance) at a local state park and play saxophone jazz quartets!
After the normal gigs and rehearsals (involving a bunch of people in a room together with no way to mask) were canceled we formed a quartet.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I bet that if most were asked about the rest of the world, they would have no idea what's happening out there. For that matter, I doubt they would have much of an idea about how the US operates.
That may be true to a certain degree but at least they’re savvy enough to know that something is terribly wrong right now with our country & their leaders and are engaged and not apolitical.

A small seed germinated by the truth and life experiences … hopefully they’re smart enough to research over a broad spectrum of philosophies, books & news services, before coming to a knee-jerk conclusion or what their friends and family force-feed them to blindly believe … can grow into a mighty giant oak, as a bulwark against the spray pained bull$hit fed to them by the current two-party system.

We, or I, have to admit that our generation has made a hash of things. They may be our only hope of getting this train back on the tracks before it completely goes off the rails.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I bet that if most were asked about the rest of the world, they would have no idea what's happening out there. For that matter, I doubt they would have much of an idea about how the US operates.
I'd agree with that. I imagine their choices are mostly directed by the stuff that is in their face - like:
1 Covid 19
2 Civil unrest/BLM/Law & Order/Floyd (however you want to characterize it)
3 Racism ("Stand Back and Stand By", but also as reflected in travel bans, DACA, children in cages, etc)
4 Gender equality (extended to include LGBTQ)
5 Global Warming

This is the rare presidential election where the sh!t on the surface is so deep that kids are voting even though they may realize they do not have a deep understanding. In the past, I think people tended to not vote because they were "not into politics", but Trump has done an impressive job of teaching them that politics can have a very significant role in their lives!
You guys don't think people born from 1965-1996 know anything about the rest of the country/world?

I might give you a slight pass on gen z, but even then they're the most informed generation pretty much ever. They didn't grow up WITHOUT the internet like every generation before. Are they able to discern good information from bad? Don't know, but I do know it seems to be those generations (gen y and z) trying to talk down their boomer parents from looking at Facebook too much and thinking that what they read there is true.

I know I've had to listen to nonsense from my boomer parents. Never thought I'd have to tell them that the internet can contain more BS than facts.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Ha! I got you beat (Tuesday is my favorite day of "life with Covid")!
I am about to go to a picnic shelter (where we have room to social distance) at a local state park and play saxophone jazz quartets!
After the normal gigs and rehearsals (involving a bunch of people in a room together with no way to mask) were canceled we formed a quartet.
well , it's certainly no fun having to give up the regular music time, but it seems you are making up for it.. thanks for keeping peoples spirits up.. enjoy your day!...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
That may be true to a certain degree but at least they’re savvy enough to know that something is terribly wrong right now with our country & their leaders and are engaged and not apolitical.

A small seed germinated by the truth and life experiences … hopefully they’re smart enough to research over a broad spectrum of philosophies, books & news services, before coming to a knee-jerk conclusion or what their friends and family force-feed them to blindly believe … can grow into a mighty giant oak, as a bulwark against the spray pained bull$hit fed to them by the current two-party system.

We, or I, have to admit that our generation has made a hash of things. They may be our only hope of getting this train back on the tracks before it completely goes off the rails.
Knowing that a problem exists and not being able to explicitly identify it and agree on solutions isn't helped by a large number of groups demanding that things go their way, or they'll go around rioting and trying to re-write history.

While I agree that previous generations have really screwed the pooch, I think the practice of keeping old politicians in place "because they have a lot of life experiences" is wrong. They become complacent, believe they're ten foot tall and invisible and begin to be the embodiment of words & terms like 'greedy bastards', 'avaricious', 'dangerous' and 'whore'.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
You guys don't think people born from 1965-1996 know anything about the rest of the country/world?

I might give you a slight pass on gen z, but even then they're the most informed generation pretty much ever. They didn't grow up WITHOUT the internet like every generation before. Are they able to discern good information from bad? Don't know, but I do know it seems to be those generations (gen y and z) trying to talk down their boomer parents from looking at Facebook too much and thinking that what they read there is true.

I know I've had to listen to nonsense from my boomer parents. Never thought I'd have to tell them that the internet can contain more BS than facts.
i'm going to cast a vote for "there's a lotta dumb out there in every age group.. i'm going to relate 2 recent events (on the bus) .. i had a guy (about 55 ish)threaten to "kick my ass" because i told him to stow it as he loudly complained about a passenger thanking the bus driver for the ride.. he ended up having to be removed from the bus.. another incident .. much more relevant to the current discussion.. i was talking to the driver on the bus about Biden, and his chances of winning.. a person (60 ish) started shouting Biden's an assh*** , i retorted with "that's certainly an opinion.". ... dude went on to say "Biden wants to steal my social security" .. it's difficult to converse with the thoroughly mis informed...

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
i'm going to cast a vote for "there's a lotta dumb out there in every age group.. i'm going to relate 2 recent events (on the bus) .. i had a guy (about 55 ish)threaten to "kick my ass" because i told him to stow it as he loudly complained about a passenger thanking the bus driver for the ride.. he ended up having to be removed from the bus.. another incident .. much more relevant to the current discussion.. i was talking to the driver on the bus about Biden, and his chances of winning.. a person (60 ish) started shouting Biden's an assh*** , i retorted with "that's certainly an opinion.". ... dude went on to say "Biden wants to steal my social security" .. it's difficult to converse with the thoroughly mis informed...
Just one more reason not to ride a bus ..........

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
If it's so dangerous, why isn't the WHOLE WORLD not trying to get Mexico and the Central American countries to treat their people better?

They have in the past but if you haven’t heard ‘isolationism’ is the rage nowadays, with the biggest culprits being the three largest super powers; US, China & Russia all chiming in, in agreement, unless they can make political/economic hay out of it for their own benefit.

Regarding the parents coming back to get their children.

First of all we separated them and deported them without their children. That’s on us. We made that stupid hideous decision for them.

Secondly I think they’ve made the extremely difficult decision that the dangers of making a very hazardous trip back to get them, never mind the cost which they probably can’t afford anyway in most cases, and then bringing them back to a hellish present & future of grinding poverty and violence just isn’t worth it in the long run for their children’s lives and economic well-being. Desperate people make desperate decisions.

I would also like to know why other countries are allowed to enforce their immigration laws.

And we’re not? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis