Fewer jobs … More machines

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Antarctica? Couldn't do it. I still have my tonsils and I don't need my balls fighting for space in the back of my throat.
It'd be cool to visit once, but staying for any sort of extended time? No thanks.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
well not to go into detail , but i do have a moderate case of cerebral palsy .. so ya...... by definition i guess i am...
Sorry to see this but I was responding to your comments, nothing else. I hope your CP isn't a tremendous burden.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Sorry to see this but I was responding to your comments, nothing else. I hope your CP isn't a tremendous burden.
it's more the symptoms (scoliosis being the worst, i have that bad ) that suck .. i walk 3 miles most days which helps strengthen my back , but standing sucks, so most of the jobs i'm trained for are tough(i worked golf course hospitality) .. i've been surviving on ss disability for several years , mostly hoping the low end economy gets a bit better so i don't have to go back to work at 60.. but i'll do what i have to do to keep housed...

highfigh

highfigh

Just out of curiosity, have you put any child or children thru college or paid for half the tuition?
I paid for my own tuition but I have friends who pay for their kids to go and the cost is insane! The Federal gov't scaled back the money they were sending to colleges and the colleges just ramped up the cost to students. They also maintained their practice of paying tenured professors to do little while the TAs did the teaching. They should have been out there doing a better job of raising funds for the schools to offset the loss of revenue. The predatory lending practices are disgusting, too.

I paid $775/quarter (three quarters is a full year, but going all year obviously allowed finishing sooner) plus books and other expenses while my friends (or their parents) paid about $600/year for the local state university and THEY would complain about the cost. I don't remember how much my friends from outside of Milwaukee paid for room & board- maybe a couple of thousand per year. Now, the school I attended charges $702/credit hour for undergrads, $840/credit hour for graduate students plus a separate fee for a technology package ($12.50/cr hr) and infrastructure ($165). When I was there, full credit load was 17 credits/quarter, for $775. Full time undergrads pay $13,469 for 12-19 credits, per quarter. Financial aid pays a lot of the cost and this school has fund-raised its ass off since I was there.

OTOH, average starting pay for all grads is $65,428, so that helps. When I was there, architects were starting at about $1150/month. Oh, boy. Somewhat more for archi/engineering, but not much. One of the guys spent all of his time in his dorm room, studying (and whatever else he did- no time for anything else) and graduated in the same field with a 3.96 cumulative GPA, getting a job at Harnischfeger, at $26,500/year. It wasn't long after that he got into programming and left the field.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
WE NEED TERM LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over here, on the other side of the pond, we call it elections :)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
But it's perfect for hermits.
No, as it is very dangerous to live there alone, and you are absolutely dependent on other people to deliver what you need for, say, food. It's really hard to grow your own crops or have some chickens and pigs in Antarctica.

highfigh

highfigh

Over here, on the other side of the pond, we call it elections :)
We do too, but as I have mentioned before, people need to stop voting for members of government because "They have been there for generations and that's not gonna change".

Do members of the government move on after a couple of terms, or do they stay forever, like some here?

highfigh

highfigh

No, as it is very dangerous to live there alone, and you are absolutely dependent on other people to deliver what you need for, say, food. It's really hard to grow your own crops or have some chickens and pigs in Antarctica.
Definitely. I guess someone could have a greenhouse if they're wealthy, but a balanced diet would be difficult. Then, there's the medical care issue.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It'd be cool to visit once, but staying for any sort of extended time? No thanks.
There are permanent bases there now, inhabited year round by scientists and their support crews.

Many years back I was visiting with a friend that is a chef, and one of his coworkers was getting ready to head down there to serve as a chef for the scientists for a while.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Definitely. I guess someone could have a greenhouse if they're wealthy, but a balanced diet would be difficult. Then, there's the medical care issue.
A less harsh example is how Alaska Natives traditionally lives and that is not easy living for sure, compared to expected modern living standards. But small mistakes in that kind of climate quickly turns fatal.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
We do too, but as I have mentioned before, people need to stop voting for members of government because "They have been there for generations and that's not gonna change".

Do members of the government move on after a couple of terms, or do they stay forever, like some here?
It's a parliamentary system with election rules intended to representably represent the vote for the candidates, so to speak. It's for sure not perfect, but when someone complains about how long someone have a seat I just point to USA, and then they get very quiet :D

Point is, our systems differ significantly, but by some reforms is needed in USA if you want to reduce the incumbency advantage along with abolish gerrymandering. Strengthening peoples right to vote, by whatever colour, skin or creed is also very helpful (the US voter repression tactics is disgusting).

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
A less harsh example is how Alaska Natives traditionally lives and that is not easy living for sure, compared to expected modern living standards. But small mistakes in that kind of climate quickly turns fatal.
Alaskan natives have some of the highest levels of botulism in the world. Don't eat the blubber! "Oh, is that what I caught?" asked Lumpy? "No, stupid!" said Eddie. "You don't get botulism from eating out a fat chick. You get fish lips!" "What are fish lips Wally?" asked Beaver? "Never mind Beaver, never mind."

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Alaskan natives have some of the highest levels of botulism in the world. Don't eat the blubber! "Oh, is that what I caught?" asked Lumpy? "No, stupid!" said Eddie. "You don't get botulism from eating out a fat chick. You get fish lips!" "What are fish lips Wally?" asked Beaver? "Never mind Beaver, never mind."
Safe storage of nutritious food is real hard in modern times, as you point out. Along with proper preparations and so on. I think that city-dwellers will fare even worse, especially the vegetarians.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I paid for my own tuition but I have friends who pay for their kids to go and the cost is insane! The Federal gov't scaled back the money they were sending to colleges and the colleges just ramped up the cost to students. They also maintained their practice of paying tenured professors to do little while the TAs did the teaching. They should have been out there doing a better job of raising funds for the schools to offset the loss of revenue. The predatory lending practices are disgusting, too.

I paid $775/quarter (three quarters is a full year, but going all year obviously allowed finishing sooner) plus books and other expenses while my friends (or their parents) paid about $600/year for the local state university and THEY would complain about the cost. I don't remember how much my friends from outside of Milwaukee paid for room & board- maybe a couple of thousand per year. Now, the school I attended charges $702/credit hour for undergrads, $840/credit hour for graduate students plus a separate fee for a technology package ($12.50/cr hr) and infrastructure ($165). When I was there, full credit load was 17 credits/quarter, for $775. Full time undergrads pay $13,469 for 12-19 credits, per quarter. Financial aid pays a lot of the cost and this school has fund-raised its ass off since I was there.

OTOH, average starting pay for all grads is $65,428, so that helps. When I was there, architects were starting at about $1150/month. Oh, boy. Somewhat more for archi/engineering, but not much. One of the guys spent all of his time in his dorm room, studying (and whatever else he did- no time for anything else) and graduated in the same field with a 3.96 cumulative GPA, getting a job at Harnischfeger, at $26,500/year. It wasn't long after that he got into programming and left the field.

The point I was trying to make indirectly is that, besides the cost, is that it's wasted money for a lot of misguided parents and the kids themselves. Most of them at that age, after graduating high school, don't have a clue of what they want to do with their lives, professionally.

It was a big argument in my house with the missuses. She's an outlier in the sense that she was very motivated when she was very young to become a mathematician and had a full-boat to Vilanova's sister college nearby. My kids were bright, top 20 in their high school graduating class, but I knew they were undecided on what to pursue in life.

Both had partial scholarships to two top-flight engineering and pharmaceutical college's nearby and graduated with good grades. Now both are in two completely different fields (law enforcement & finance) for what they went to school for and are still paying off some of the money we didn't cover.

In hindsight both of them agree now that they should have listened to me and tried to get some type of apprenticeship in the fields they 'thought' they wanted and not of been railroaded by mommy and have these leftover debts.

My wife, like most parents, bought the higher education Kool-Aid, and rues the day she fought me tooth & nail about this and the $40 grand down the drain.

Trust me I take no pleasure in being right.

She and I (I'm disabled now) could've of used some of that money to pay for our health care in retirement, which is astronomical.

C'est la vie!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Why did you have to post a pet peeve of mine while I'm braising duck breast? The the property market went totally bananas in the last couple of decades in many countries, but these comparisons misses at least this:

1) No account of real interest rate i.e. interest rate after inflation
2) Heavy tax subsides of home "owner ship".

highfigh

highfigh

It's a parliamentary system with election rules intended to representably represent the vote for the candidates, so to speak. It's for sure not perfect, but when someone complains about how long someone have a seat I just point to USA, and then they get very quiet :D

Point is, our systems differ significantly, but by some reforms is needed in USA if you want to reduce the incumbency advantage along with abolish gerrymandering. Strengthening peoples right to vote, by whatever colour, skin or creed is also very helpful (the US voter repression tactics is disgusting).
Ability to vote really isn't as bad as the media show- the problems are usually in how ballots are handled and here, ballots were found in a waste container once again. I saw a report that something similar happened in Pennsylvania and some other places. This is a problem with someone's employees. Another nearby community returned ballots to some people because they didn't have two signatures and the recipients weren't correct for those ballots but hey, what should we expect for low pay, right?

The hacking the US voting system is difficult because it's very decentralized, as Obama stated. It's not a group of computers in each polling place that send into to one server, sending the info to regional servers and going to one main location but I can't say how all places do it because for some reason, it hasn't been standardized. Amazing- considering the technology that comes from this country, they can't even get their crap together enough to do that. The place where I vote has paper ballots and we mark inside of a small area. Once we're cone and it has been signed, it feeds into a machine that tallies the votes and stores the info. I hope it's not connected to the internet because that would make it more vulnerable. After the voting is done, the info is sent to wherever it goes. Assuming they don't use small children to set up the networks, it should be somewhat secure but I can't be certain of that.

I have to assume that members of the US Congress are some of the most money-grubbing turds on the planet if they can't bring themselves to get a job outside of those positions for most, if not all, of their professional career.

highfigh

highfigh

The point I was trying to make indirectly is that, besides the cost, is that it's wasted money for a lot of misguided parents and the kids themselves. Most of them at that age, after graduating high school, don't have a clue of what they want to do with their lives, professionally.

It was a big argument in my house with the missuses. She's an outlier in the sense that she was very motivated when she was very young to become a mathematician and had a full-boat to Vilanova's sister college nearby. My kids were bright, top 20 in their high school graduating class, but I knew they were undecided on what to pursue in life.

Both had partial scholarships to two top-flight engineering and pharmaceutical college's nearby and graduated with good grades. Now both are in two completely different fields (law enforcement & finance) for what they went to school for and are still paying off some of the money we didn't cover.

In hindsight both of them agree now that they should have listened to me and tried to get some type of apprenticeship in the fields they 'thought' they wanted and not of been railroaded by mommy and have these leftover debts.

My wife, like most parents, bought the higher education Kool-Aid, and rues the day she fought me tooth & nail about this and the $40 grand down the drain.

Trust me I take no pleasure in being right.

She and I (I'm disabled now) could've of used some of that money to pay for our health care in retirement, which is astronomical.

C'est la vie!
I was agreeing with what you posted but I forgot to write that people used t go to community college when they weren't sure what they wanted to be/do and that's still not a bad way to go if the credits can transfer. Most decent-paying jobs require many of the skills learned in JC anyway, so they can be used for other fields.

Whatever happened to aptitude testing? That's a fairly easy way to find out who's suited to various fields. One example of someone who I think is in the wrong position is the local guy who is in planning and zoning. I called to ask about using a temporary fence behind my garage, to block the view of my compost pile, wheelbarrow and a few other things (I know, my first mistake was in calling about it) so my neighbor to the rear wouldn't have to look at it. I explained that I wanted to build a three-sided enclosure with a gate, so I could have access whenever I needed. He asked if I could bring a drawing to him, so he could see what I wanted to do. The guy couldn't visualize that or draw it for himself?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis