Fewer jobs … More machines

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
He was talking about 5% earned on deposits as opposed to the less than 1% earned on them today. Banks play with your money and pay you s#%t. If you dare borrow any of their money, they charge you an arm and a f#%kin' leg. Loan sharking is now legal. They just call it "Hard Money." They can call it whatever they want, they are still crooks. Our government reps are whores. They intimidate us like the f#%kin' Nazis and shake us down like the f#%kin' mob. But, as they say, "The Market will bear it." Just a clever way of saying "We got em' by the balls."
yep...

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
what are you talking about? your quoting some kind of economic theory .. i'm talking about the era when banks had to pay interest on deposits to savings accounts to generate income to loan money at a slightly higher rate.. along comes the Reagan era , congress passes deregulation that allowed banks to charge very high interest on credit cards , thus allowing the abandonment of interest bearing accounts with little to no risk that actually paid a decent rate of return..so for about the last 30 years the average guy has very limited access to small investment dividend...
Bank of England: Money creation in the modern economy :

"... The vast majority of money held by the public takes the form of bank deposits. But where the stock of bank deposits comes from is often misunderstood. One common misconception is that banks act simply as intermediaries, lending out the deposits that savers place with them. In this view deposits are typically ‘created’ by the saving decisions of households, and banks then ‘lend out’ those existing deposits to borrowers, for example to companies looking to finance investment or individuals wanting to purchase houses.

In fact, when households choose to save more money in bank accounts, those deposits come simply at the expense of deposits that would have otherwise gone to companies in payment for goods and services. Saving does not by itself increase the deposits or ‘funds available’ for banks to lend. Indeed, viewing banks simply as intermediaries ignores the fact that, in reality in the modern economy, commercial banks are the creators of deposit money. This article explains how, rather than banks lending out deposits that are placed with them, the act of lending creates deposits — the reverse of the sequence typically described in textbooks.... "

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
It seems this thread has already gone off the rails of my intended discussion, which seems to happen with regularity around here. ;) No big whup.

And in that spirit, anybody have a spare $22 grand to blow? :p

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I think training isn't what it used to be seeing as how often I find people that have jobs, but just suck at them.
Pretty well describes the problem in a nutshell.

Since companies stopped training new employees properly, so they would know that they were getting into, and started hiring people based on some vague/one-size fits all college degree, things have gotten worse.

I had to train these new employee's, mostly with a engineering/computer sciences degrees and they were shocked to learn they had to do physical work initially to understand the installation/hardware aspect of the job; like running cables, terminating them at both ends and connecting them to the PBX and/or server, which also had to be assembled to a degree.

They all thought they were going to be sitting in front of a monitor and clacking away. A vast majority of them quit in the first 2 months.

I convinced the company to start hiring some of the wiring sub company employees and train them from the ground up. Not only were they cheaper to hire initially, they were also much more motivated to succeed and in the long run a majority of them became some of our best techs.

Sadly I couldn't convince the company to partner with a local tech school(s) and train them pre-employment, like the Germans do. Very short-sighted and more expensive in the log run, which didn't shock me at all about management.

As my peasant father was fond of saying, 'thank god for stupid people son, they make us rich ... we're not too bright ourselves'. :D

I thought he was daft but came to understand that he was spot on, so I rolled with the flow and profited from their stupidity, like he recommended all along.

And I passed along the same wisdom to my kids. Now my daughter tells me, 'sometimes dad, you just can't fix stupid' as we both nod our heads in agreement.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Pretty well describes the problem in a nutshell.

Since companies stopped training new employees properly, so they would know that they were getting into, and started hiring people based on some vague/one-size fits all college degree, things have gotten worse.

I had to train these new employee's, mostly with a engineering/computer sciences degrees and they were shocked to learn they had to do physical work initially to understand the installation/hardware aspect of the job; like running cables, terminating them at both ends and connecting them to the PBX and/or server, which also had to be assembled to a degree.

They all thought they were going to be sitting in front of a monitor and clacking away. A vast majority of them quit in the first 2 months.

I convinced the company to start hiring some of the wiring sub company employees and train them from the ground up. Not only were they cheaper to hire initially, they were also much more motivated to succeed and in the long run a majority of them became some of our best techs.

Sadly I couldn't convince the company to partner with a local tech school(s) and train them pre-employment, like the Germans do. Very short-sighted and more expensive in the log run, which didn't shock me at all about management.

As my peasant father was fond of saying, 'thank god for stupid people son, they make us rich ... we're not too bright ourselves'. :D

I thought he was daft but came to understand that he was spot on, so I rolled with the flow and profited from their stupidity, like he recommended all along.

And I passed along the same wisdom to my kids. Now my daughter tells me, 'sometimes dad, you just can't fix stupid' as we both nod our heads in agreement.
I have attended both a large university (BS Chemistry), and the local community college (non-completed AAS as electronics tech).

I can tell you with absolute certainty, the community college prepares students for the work force MUCH better than a large university.

I certainly learned MORE at the university, and obtained a degree that pays better. But, the university is great to prepare students for long term R&D work and long term student life if you want to pursue advanced degrees. But, as far as "ready to bust my arse, have hands-on experience, and get my hands dirty", the Community College far exceeded the university experience in that metric.

We had a standing "joke" in my CC electronics classes: "I'm done working on this, I did a good enough job for community college course work" ;)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
spoken like a true believer in trickle down theory.. i'm not going to go on another rant about billionaires relying on paying employees food stamp worthy wages then crying about their own impending poverty if minimum wage increases...
Not so much- I believe that people should take a look at their abilities and the outside world, then find a way to make their way in it. Why should people sit and whine if they lose a job unless it's because of someone replacing them when that person is unqualified or if it happens because it's done as a favor? Even then, there's usual some way to be compensated for unlawful termination. I can definitely understand being angry when a job is lost, but that doesn't help much.

Look at the spending habits of Americans- EVERYONE has to have the latest & greatest that they can buy, even if it means they'll go into heavy debt and that's just not an intelligent way to live. The debt doesn't go away if they lose the job and they should really save for what they want. The major things- a car or home aren't going to be paid for with cash now- maybe a bad fixer-upper. The rest just require patience and discipline.

I'm also not saying that greed has any valid place but the fact remains- if a company/corporation treats their employees like crap, people should stop buying their products and services. Like Apple, Nike and others with their sweat shops. They have become huge because people would rather have a shiny new phone or $300 pair of Jordans than take a stand.

highfigh

highfigh

isn't Mike Rowe's greatest skill doing crappy jobs on tv for about a day then making big $$ selling it?...not much heavy lifting involved there... what makes this guy an expert ? sounds like a typical suite that does hard work along side his employees for a day to prove he's "one of the guys" and empathetic , when in reality he goes home to a paid for million $$ house..
Just a victim, aren't you?

highfigh

highfigh

Part of the problem of is the lack of apprenticeship programs at union, like before in the 50's to mid-80's, and especially at non-union jobs and the disdain of our educational system for these skills, as if they're second-class citizens. If they only knew what these guys/gals are pulling down salary wise.

Finding a good plumber is harder than finding chicken's teeth and get ready to hand over part of your retirement money after he's done. Unless you have an emergency, be ready to wait a month or two to see his sunny smile. And yet my plumber can't find a young man/woman to apprentice without getting laughed at, like it's beneath them.

College is soooooo overrated.

Let's see, we'll take a 18 year old who doesn't have a clue of what he wants to do in life ... a vast majority of them ... and give him a liberal art degree after 4 years, with which he can wipe his derriere with when he/she is done.

90% of them are useless as tit$. Meanwhile most of them could have been learning a valuable skill-set instead of being the frat beer-pong champion.

The pay is great, considering the position as an apprentice but it must be stated that high wages contribute to high prices. Many people just can't afford to hire trades with union workers because the contractors charge more than $100/hour and that's often per man. In a bad economy, they may work a deal if the job is longer-term and it keeps their people working, but for an emergency plumbing repair, it's pretty steep when it comes out of the blue for someone who makes less than the average.

OTOH, as much as many of us rely on people who have no clue about what we do, I think it's pathetic that people don't know which end of a screwdriver to pound on. Ever watch building or cooking shows? Man! They really dumb it down!

For some, I agree that college is useless when they don't know what they want to do or want to go for a useless degree but some jobs absolutely require it and I think more high school age kids need (far) better job counceling. They also need to be less rebellious in their decision to go in a direction other than what would be better for them. The degree is often less important than the fact that they graduated with good grades because many jobs are looking for a degree, not necessarily specific degrees.

I have to take exception to your 90% comment. Not the part after it, just that sentence. Maybe it applies to a bull, but not in general.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
"A penny saved is a penny earned". "live below your means." "Anything worth doing, is worth doing right." "Take pride in your work." "Pay yourself first." "Wipe front to back." Those little gems are lost on ragamuffins who want only to be famous "influencers" and record their content on iPhones and Macbooks that they purchased with a Barclay card that charges 22%. Many parents do their kids no favors when they pay ridiculous tuition fees so their kids can have "the college experience." Really? They are handing out degrees to kids who don't even know how to wipe their asses properly. Are there greedy assholes out there taking advantage everything and everybody just to f#%kin' brag about it? Yup. Are there a bunch of lazy cry babies out there blaming the whole world for their sloth. Yup. Neither is anything to aspire to. None of us are blameless in any of it but you still have to try and hold up to a f#%kin' standard. Yikes, where's my coffee cup?!

highfigh

highfigh

debt is the greatest organized scam in banking history... anybody remember when banks had to give us interest in savings so they could loan out money at a slightly higher rate? .. in comes the credit card companies (banks).. end of need ... thanks congress
You don't understand why they're required to pay interest, do you? They's using our money to make money. That applies to the owners of rental properties, too- if the renter's deposit is in an interest-bearing account, the interest is paid back to the renter when they leave, minus any penalty- this is a legal requirement.

WRT fees and charges, I agree- they're being greedy. A friend worked in the budget accounting department of a major Wisconsin bank and he talked about the actual cost of some banking operations- eight places to the right of the decimal. It would require them to perform these a million times to spend a penny for them. While these were usually more administrative than customer-facing, I doubt that a bounced check costs the bank much, if anything.

You're blaming Congress and I can't disagree about that, but voters keep sending bad politicians back for more and not much changes. 12 members of Congress are 80 or older and the link shows the ones who have been in office for 40 years or longer. For those keeping track, Some were shown as a tie, so the names and the total don't match but I counted 35 Democrats and 13 Republicans with the top 6 being Republicans. The top ten were in office for a minimum of 33 years, six months and the longest is 47 years, 4 months. That's just too damned long!

WE NEED TERM LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highfigh

highfigh

"A penny saved is a penny earned". "live below your means." "Anything worth doing, is worth doing right." "Take pride in your work." "Pay yourself first." "Wipe front to back." Those little gems are lost on ragamuffins who want only to be famous "influencers" and record their content on iPhones and Macbooks that they purchased with a Barclay card that charges 22%. Many parents do their kids no favors when they pay ridiculous tuition fees so their kids can have "the college experience." Really? They are handing out degrees to kids who don't even know how to wipe their asses properly. Are there greedy assholes out there taking advantage everything and everybody just to f#%kin' brag about it? Yup. Are there a bunch of lazy cry babies out there blaming the whole world for their sloth. Yup. Neither is anything to aspire to. None of us are blameless in any of it but you still have to try and hold up to a f#%kin' standard. Yikes, where's my coffee cup?!
You left out "Buy low, sell high" and "always drink upstream of the herd".

More kids need to think about their future- "Live for today" can come later. I don't mean think of nothing but work until retirement, but work when it's time to work and play when it's time to play, find something interesting that pays the bills and if it's intolerable, do something else- working at something when it's just a miserable experience is a terrible way to live.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai

The pay is great, considering the position as an apprentice but it must be stated that high wages contribute to high prices. Many people just can't afford to hire trades with union workers because the contractors charge more than $100/hour and that's often per man. In a bad economy, they may work a deal if the job is longer-term and it keeps their people working, but for an emergency plumbing repair, it's pretty steep when it comes out of the blue for someone who makes less than the average.

OTOH, as much as many of us rely on people who have no clue about what we do, I think it's pathetic that people don't know which end of a screwdriver to pound on. Ever watch building or cooking shows? Man! They really dumb it down!

For some, I agree that college is useless when they don't know what they want to do or want to go for a useless degree but some jobs absolutely require it and I think more high school age kids need (far) better job counceling. They also need to be less rebellious in their decision to go in a direction other than what would be better for them. The degree is often less important than the fact that they graduated with good grades because many jobs are looking for a degree, not necessarily specific degrees.

I have to take exception to your 90% comment. Not the part after it, just that sentence. Maybe it applies to a bull, but not in general.
Just out of curiosity, have you put any child or children thru college or paid for half the tuition?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just out of curiosity, have you put any child or children thru college or paid for half the tuition?
When I see the cost of tuition today vs. my cost ~20 years back, it is staggering!

My entire education at a large public university costs less than 1-2 semesters at a private school today.

Back then, the ROI made it clear cut that the time and $ for college would easily be repaid within a couple years of gainful employment.

But, the big detail--Get a degree in a field that will actually get you a good job!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Antarctica? Couldn't do it. I still have my tonsils and I don't need my balls fighting for space in the back of my throat.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis