Enter to Win: Pair of x-ls Bookshelf Speakers from AV123!

G

GodofWar

Audiophyte
favorite finish

Tom Andry said:
AV123 wants your opinion!

AV123 is giving away a pair of x-ls bookshelf speakers in your choice of finishes (MSRP $199) to one (1) lucky forum member that answers the question in the forum below.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Answer the question in the forum below:

Contest Question: What is your favorite finish on a loudspeaker and why?

[Click here for more information on the Onix x-ls bookshelf speakers]

[Read the Review]

Note this contest ends on March 31st 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!
My favorite finish is natural wood. The beauty of natural wood blends w/ the rest of the furniture, balances well w/ the beauty of the overall design & complements the beauty of the audio production of the speakers..

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pmoney

Audiophyte
What is your favorite finish on a loudspeaker and why?

Black or Dark Ash
Matches my furniture and floors

Not a fan of rosewood unless it goes with the room

Black goes with almost anything

Mindaika

Enthusiast
Finish line

Cherry. Piano black reminds me of my aunt's house (decorated circa. 1983), and maple reminds me of everything available at ikea. That being said, all my furniture is maple...

S

Shaftoe

Enthusiast
I hate to repeat what it seems like most the others are saying, but black is my favorite too.

1) You can get almost any accessory or other item to match. If you wanted to go all black there are hundreds of different TV's, receivers, speakers in black.

2) I just kind of expect speakers to be black. They just look smooth, or slick.

3) Black matches with most decor.

T

tnice

Audiophyte
I'm a fan of pale, wife-approved colors such as a beech or maple. White is even OK!

No black for my house, thanks.

MarkSJohnson

MarkSJohnson

Junior Audioholic
Maple or Beech....

I have a tendency to like lighter tones on small speakers and darker tones on floorstanders.....though I realize most others would say the opposite. Almost always, black/charcoal grills.

D

DaveN

Enthusiast
A wood color and grain that closely matches the wood in the rest of the room. If the room has no wood, then piano black. dave

M

MrFong

Enthusiast
As long as there are a few options, as that provides enough flexibility for people to match their existing decor. I like to see: black oak, cherry, maple, and walnut colours. That covers just about every option. I would like to see grill cloth options too (black, white, gray, etc)...

B

bhdtv

Audiophyte
Favorite finish for speakers

If the speakers are entry-level, inexpensive, or ones I would be likely to replace with room changes (or if I had unlimited funds to change my speakers for decor-driven reasons), then a nice rosewood or mahogany.

If, on the other hand, they are speakers which I will probably keep for a long time, then gloss piano black, as it is classic and can be incorporated into almost any decor. Black has a higher long-term WAF.

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
Black is the only way to go...

I have to agree with the piano gloss black. I think it makes for the most attractive looking speakers.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Finish?

Honestly,

I couldn't care less if the speakers were finished or looked like plywood. However, in order to satisfy my wife I appreachate the options of various hardwoods to match our furnature. Maple, Cherry, or any other other common furniture woods are appreachated. My wife detests Piano and Glossy Black and would really something that would blend in as much as possibles.

The other issue, which of course you are not asking, is wires. There is only so much I can do to hide wires... which is why she would prefer totally wireless solutions.

A

ahdeeoh

Enthusiast
A nice deep coloured wood finish (cherry) with a nice grain. Double blind tests are done so that the better looking speaker isn't picked for it's visual appeal. I think this is works to you're advantage at home. Sweet sounding, sweet looking loudspeaker = great listening experince.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Shiny black-colored loudspeaker is always right for any decor. It will match most equipments and furniture you have. Piano black (with its shiny poly) will be the best. It'd be better if it has wood grain pattern on it and finish it with shiny coating. It gives you the feel and sense of elegance. Besides that, it looks heavier and sturdier than the cherry-colored wood finish. Rounded corners on the speaker is a plus.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I would have to say black because it will blend in so well with most living room furniture thereby allowing for a high "WAF". Also, assuming one has a speaker(s) of high quality I believe will aide in allowing the speaker to "disappear" if you will. However, I must say that over at AV123 the birds eye maple finish is absolutely ravishing to say the least.

P

Puppetz

Audioholic Intern
I generally prefer flat black for my speakers simply because it is such a neutral color. Like most A/V nuts, I am in a continuous state of upgrading my gear. It will never end. As the speakers that once served as my mains are moved from the theater room to the master bedroom to the garage, a flat black finish "fits" in each of those different environments. I wouldn't be able to say the same thing for a different finish (in other words, piano gloss black speakers hanging in the garage would be too much even for me).

B

Bobster

Junior Audioholic
Black is generally the safest color choice, it goes with everything. But, a natural (orange-brown) cherry finish is my favorite.

P

paintrodsey

Enthusiast
Deep glossy wood finishes that look natural. They also should match the decor of the room they are in.

J

johnwharper

Audiophyte
Love Wood

Best all around solution for me! And I really like grains such as those found in Black or English walnut.

O

ogle1975

Audiophyte
favorite speaker finish

I prefer a natural cherry finish. Something about the color of the wood in its natural state reminds me of a fine wooden sculpture.

J

joedax

Audiophyte
My favorite finish is cherry, because it matches easily with the furniture I have and has a rich look to it. I don't like vynl and simulated wood that looks like painted pressed wood. In the old days JBL had some very nice finishes along with unique grille colors and patterns. When they went away from that, they looked like Kmart speakers with a jbl logo.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis