Enter to Win: Pair of x-ls Bookshelf Speakers from AV123!

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
AV123 wants your opinion!

AV123 is giving away a pair of x-ls bookshelf speakers in your choice of finishes (MSRP $199) to one (1) lucky forum member that answers the question in the forum below.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Answer the question in the forum below:

Contest Question: What is your favorite finish on a loudspeaker and why?

[Click here for more information on the Onix x-ls bookshelf speakers]

[Read the Review]

Note this contest ends on March 31st 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
C

crgriggs

Enthusiast
I like a finish that matches closely to the other items in the room. When I enter a house and see speakers and furniture that match it looks very nice.

Matt34

Matt34

Piano black, because it fits in no matter what kind of furniture you have and still looks good.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
What is your favorite finish on a loudspeaker and why?
I'm also going to go with gloss black. Most speakers I have owned are black, but never a piano/gloss black. My sub however is. I think when the gloss is added, it just gives the speaker that little bit of "oomph" that says these are a little nicer than the ones you'll find down at the big box stores. And, as iterated, black goes with everything, regardless of decor, so it's a solid choice usually.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I like dark, rich finishes that have good wood grain. Like rosewood, mahogony (sp?), and African ebony. It's dark enough to work in a light-controlled area (e.g. theater) while being nice to look at and works well with other furniture. My personal preference.

I don't like metal-looking speakers or ones that have a more "contemporary" look.

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
Piano Black

I am jumping on the bandwagon... piano black. Just looks classy and slick.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief

A nice deep rich color (a nice dark cherry) that complements the grain of the wood. I like Rosewood, Teak, Mahogany, Zebra wood, and any other wood that has a good grain pattern. Hand rubbed then several layers of Poly to protect and give it that beautiful shine.

B

BobCSmith

Audiophyte
Usual Black, but it depends on the room, the enviroment, and surrounding furnishing

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
Well my current speakers are black. But i'd like my next set to be a beechwood or other light-wood color.

J

jawilljr

Banned

Black Ash... because my wife told me to get that finish...

Jerry

P

PSU80

Junior Audioholic
My furniture is a dark cherry so my first choice would be a matching finish. Second choice would be a piano gloss black which would go with just about any decor but does tend to have a contemporary look which may not be right for everyone.

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
Speakers and a sub are usually the longest-lived components in a system - receivers, projectors, and players are usually changed many times on the same set of speakers.

As such, speakers could be placed in many different rooms over the course of their lifespan. A bookshelf for my media room today could be relegated to a family room later when I upgrade to towers. So they should transition well from room to room.

As such, they should not be so stylized that you can't transition them.

Based on that:

Gloss black definetly looks the best - classy and clean.
Close second would be a flat black.
Various wood grains are cool, but then they may conflict with furniture choices... unless you're so high end that you choose your furniture to match your speakers!

~Josh

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I like real wood. Walnut or something similar, though it somewhat depends upon the decor of the room. Wood has a more organic, warm quality than black (though if it is to be black, piano black is best). I have some old Heybrook speakers that used one piece of walnut veneer to wrap around the entire speaker, so the woodgrain matches from the side to the top to the side to the bottom. It only does not line up at one of the bottom corners (because that is where the top and bottom of the one piece of veneer meets). That is a really nice job with the veneer; even my wife does not want me to part with them, even though we have some better speakers now (though they are quite good, and were the best I ever owned when I got them). And they were not noticeably more expensive because of it; they were the best sounding speakers I could find at their price point.

As for the finishes offered on the speakers in this contest, I don't much care for the "banded" maple finish in the review sample; see:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/Onixxlsp1.php

It reminds me of cheap furniture that uses strips of wood glued together rather than large pieces of wood. Still, it is far better than having vinyl. (And that cheap furniture with strips of wood glued together is still far better than particle board.) As for the "satin black", I would have to see it to come to a definite decision, but it does not look like something I would like at all. Even the "banded" wood veneer would be better. (I will not presently express my extreme dislike of black for speakers, as I do not wish to offend others at this time. The only black I like at all is piano black, and I much prefer seeing real wood. I prefer real wood finishes on pianos, too.)

Edited to add:

Aside from looking better anyway, real wood veneer doesn't show dust as quickly as black, nor does it show very slight scratches as easily, which are easy enough to repair.

Last edited:
S

sy527x

Audioholic Intern
I'd agree with piano black gloss finish. It matches anything, and I just like the color black.

J

johsti

Audioholic
Black is my favorite finish. IMHO, it is the easiest color to incorporate with most decors. It's also the only finish my wife will allow in our living room:D At least she doesn't seem to care about the dimensions of the speakers.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
What is your favorite finish on a loudspeaker and why?

Whatever matches the rest of the furnature. Right now, I would like Beach (a really light tan). I would get that because that would match the rest of my equipment. If I would be able to get an entirely new set of all matching speakers, I would get the finish in dark brown, Cherry. I love the look of matching cherry speakers...very elegant and classic.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
A blond wood like beech or maple with a black grill.
Flat/satin black would be next.
Then cherry.

I do not like gloss black. Too contemporary and too easy to swirl.

SBF1

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think the best finish would be one that matches the other finishes in the room. That may or may not be wood. But if I had to choose a single favorite, it would be gloss piano black. It's timelessly classy. And as a pianist, you get an attachment to that appearance :D

J

jrfuda

Audioholic Intern
Tom Andry said:
As many have said, black goes with everything and is what I would likely buy if I were buying today, however, I really like a nice, grainy, dark-cherry finish, and if I were building my "retirement system" that's what I would want.

However, I must say, that White Shadow Maple finish is rather pretty too!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis