Enter to Win: Pair of x-ls Bookshelf Speakers from AV123!

Z

ZoFo

Audioholic
Piano Black, but.......

A high-gloss piano black finish will go in just about any room but this seems to be a very difficult finish for manufactures; Hsu dropped their "piano black" finish on their subs for this reason and Ascend speakers offer any color except high-gloss black. There is also the issue with dust & any slight imperfections showing up so it's a high maintenance finish.

Rosewood is my other "favorite" finish; it's very elegant and has a high WAF. My current speakers are Maple which I liked very much at first, but it is does not match anything outside of my breakfast room and I am planning on upgrading these speakers and moving them into my bedroom where they really don't match anything else.

If there were just three finishes available for a speaker I would go with piano black, rosewood and maple; these are "staple" colors that should just about please everyone.

R

RickMo

Audiophyte
A light, natural finish

I'm up here in the sierras so I like speakers to fit in with my environment. I like light colored natural finishes: Oak, cedar, and even knotty pine if that were possible. :D

ricocetj

ricocetj

Junior Audioholic
Piano Black

I will add myself to the list of people who prefer piano black. Any speaker looks good in this finish!

E

emd1

Audiophyte
White if it's a bookshelf to match trim color and blend into the decor.

Stained wood to match rest of room (preferrably Rosewood) if something more substantial.

I've never been much of a fan of black in any finish FWIW.

K

kar120c

Audiophyte
I prefer a dark wood finish that matches the room decor and furniture. Some people like black and think it matches everything. Personally I don't like black, I guess it's OK if your other equipment is black or it's up against a light colored wall, but I still like the wood better.

C

candyman

Audiophyte
My favorite wood finish is a medium cherry. However, for my audio components, I prefer a flat or matte black. Black, while not inspired, is the most flexible for placement. Other wood finishes are often hard to match with other furniture items.

Candyman

S

Spat

Audiophyte
My favourite finish on a loudspeaker is black with wood grain. This finish fits into every room I have had a sound system in, and it seems to be the least obtrusive colour for my theatre setups.

C

calhob

Audiophyte
Black usually mostly cause it blends well with most room environments.

K

kawika36

Audiophyte
i have to vote for rosewood, that's what i have right now. it matches the decor in my house great, and is dark enough when the lights are down to not reflect light

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
If you're anything like me, I usually keep my speakers for quite some time. Therefore, I need a finish that travels well and matches the furniture and "decor" of any place I move into. So, to answer the question, I usually tend to choose a black finish. Black may not be the most visually pleasing, but it is, in my opinion, the most practical.

Nonethelss, I do admit that I have quite a soft spot for rosewood. It certainly is the most "expensive-looking" finish, IMO. :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis