Enter to Win: Pair of x-ls Bookshelf Speakers from AV123!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Absolutely I think that speaker manufacturers should offer some variety. The basic black is great. But, what is the application where most speakers will be used? On a white wall? Can you imaging if most in-wall speakers were black instead of white!?!

Anyway, I think a 'raw' speaker would be a fantastic concept. Something where the end user could apply a varnish/stain to match their home. You could offer in-house application, or let the buy their color of choice, or they could go to Home Depot and pick it up themselves. Just a few protective plates to cover things that matter and let the customer make their speaker match their home perfectly.

No?

Then give me black, white, natural cherry, oak, and, dark cherry.

J

jwp975

Enthusiast
Rosewood, cherry, and gloss black are the colors I generally like in a speaker. No specific reason, just the colors I prefer.

G

gtrr34

Audiophyte
I love honey maple thats why I bought my mordaunt short 900 series in that colour.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I guess I am partial to black (specially piano gloss black)
Very clean look IMO, and can be easy to match with any decor.
As well, I do like a deep Rosewood (however more difficult to match with decor)
1 piece that sticks in my mind is the VTF-3 MK2 Rosewood with the Piano Gloss Black top (it was sexy, and looked way more expensive than it was, very impressive looks as well as sound;) )

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
I would have to say silver because it would match my TV and most of my other audio/video components. Silver is the new black!

freemymind

freemymind

Enthusiast
Black

I would have to say black. Gloss black looks very nice but like any flavor black.

C

cerecone

Audiophyte
I like the dark woods in the theater, and very light in the rest of the house. Piano black is classy but I worry too much about getting dings and scratches as I have spirited kids who have knocked the speakers over more than once. Just last week one of the rockets in the theater was knocked over by my son's friend during a slumber party. My sons' head broke the fall and the speaker was just fine but my sons' head had quite a burl pattern for a while.

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Simple black. No fancy wood veneer or anything like that.

O

ODellAudio

Audiophyte
What is your favorite finish on a loudspeaker and why?

Well I must say a Darker wood. Walnut or dark cherry, So that it goes with my current decor.

Jay

M

maxcooper

Audiophyte
I like high quality medium and dark wood finishes the best. I think the speakers are most attractive that way. But it does significantly complicate integrating them into the rest of the room decor (as I am noticing as I am buying all new living room furniture, one piece of which is a new rosewood sub, my only non-black speaker so far).

The idea of being able to buy raw, unfinished speakers sounds good. It could be a fun project, you could match your decor, it might cost a bit less for the speakers, and you would probably have a deeper connection to the speakers if you finished them yourself. :)

-Max

A

Ak2002

Audiophyte
I recently bought a Pioneer 50 inch plasma with a piano black finish. My speakers are black oak while the component cabinet is black ash. Overall the combo works but if I was to consider ideal combos it would be any of the following two options

1. Piano Black with mimimal and clean silver trims

2. Lombok Brown (warm dark earthy brown) to mix it up if the room has any wood furniture in it. This combines modern excellence, earthy tones, and gives a unique twist to the room

J

JamesA

Audiophyte
I tend to like a deep cherry or black wood grain. Dark colors keep the speaker low-profile while looking very sharp.:cool:

M

mercyplease

Enthusiast
I think Black

Speakers should be Black because thats the standard color.
Anything other then black, well................................ doesn't look like a speaker . too me though, can't speak for you all.

W

wyomoose

Audiophyte
Speaker finish

I like birdseye maple. It has a pleasing look and feel to it.

O

ohio

Junior Audioholic
I'm fond of almost all unvarnished/unstained natural woods, but the maple/cherry/walnut combination is a classic, especially rubbed with a nice satin finish like Danish oil.

That's the reason I thought Meadowlarks were such beautiful speakers.

A

aquariva

Audiophyte
Contest Question: What is your favorite finish on a loudspeaker and why?

I presently have Onix Rockets in Rosewood & Piano Black. I would like to see the X-LS continuously offered in Piano Black. It would be nice to have the option to order the X-LS, Stratas, and Ref's in Gloss Red, Yellow, Blue, & Purple like Usher and Wilson Audio speakers.

A

allengarman

Audioholic Intern
No grey, no natural, no glossy black, no chrome.

I prefer medium to dark wood finishes with visible grain. Finishes should be satin rather than gloss. My taste tends toward the medium brown & honey colored tones. Brown and honey are a nice change from the more common reddish cherry.

My least favorite finish is light wood. It reminds me of cheap IKEA furniture and particle board.

While several members have stated their preference for gloss black, the glossy look seems cheap to me. The glossy finish screams "look at me", I am made of plastic. You could achieve the same effect by painting them bright yellow or mirroring the finish. Not the subdued effect that most of us want from a sound reproduction product. Most of us leave our grills on for the same reason.

It would be nice to see some grill colors in brown tones rather than black. Definitely no grey!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis