Enter to Win: Onix X-sub

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clayman88

Junior Audioholic
I would like to see a high quality video processor.

trivee

trivee

Enthusiast
well there are tow places i think that the 'market' could use. The first one i think might be a stretch, but hey i think it to be cool.

think about this
a hometheater pc that thinks its not. Meaning it isa real pre-amp component and maybe DVI/hdmi inputs, rca(single ended) or Balanced inputs, big hard drive for music/ movies..... Run it on linux cuase then it will work....... doesnt need to be a tweakers dream, just reliable, not too damn big (no bigger than receiver) with a dvd/cd rom drawer (burner for DVD can be an option.............think about it !!!!!!
mce coputers arehalf thought out for audio systems, they have two volume controls, bs out puts for computer speakers and no switching

trivee is out!
:cool:

O

Oguard

Audioholic Intern
Answers, I have answers

"What product/type of product would you like AV123 to bring to the market next and why?"

I would like to see a mid-priced pre/pro between current offerings that has a YPAO-type automatic EQ. It would have the ability to control a second zone and offer a modular upgrade path like the big DTR-10.5.

As a companion, a mid-powered 7.1 amp that can also service a second zone would be a nice companion. Something in the realm of 70 amps or so but with a ton of headroom to respond to transient demands inherent in both music and movies.

Having a focus on the future, there would be the ability to communicate digitally via HDMI and use balanced interconnects and Speak-on connectors.

Thank you for the opportunity to dream.

W

wsiler

Enthusiast
I would like to see an easy to install cable management system.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
I would like to see an x-series center speaker D-appolito (spell?) woof-tweet-woof configuration.

S

slicki

Enthusiast
I would like a HDMI 1.3 switch with at least 4 inputs with a HDMI output but also with a 7.1 analog speaker output to goto your reciever since the new HD audio codecs have to travel along the HDMI cable and can't go over coax/toslink.
Barring that idea...a subwoofer that can calibrate itself. Or at least come w/software to calibrate it (which is preferable since you could update the software probably easier.)

M

maxcooper

Audiophyte
A highly modular digital pre/pro would be cool. Moderate in price, optimized performance for digital sources, expandable, with the ability to connect legacy analog sources. I really only need 2 HDMI inputs (one using a DVI-to-HDMI cable), a digital audio input, and two composite+stereo inputs on my receiver. And for output, I only need one HDMI video output (using an HDMI-to-DVI) and 5.1 speaker + sub outputs. Or perhaps just all pre-outs for audio and I'll get a separate amp. I could perhaps use some down-mixed analog stereo audio outputs, too, in the event that I ever want to use the speakers in my TV.

Now that many of the signals (or at least the ones I care most about) are digital, this seems quite possible. Need another HDMI input? Buy one, plug it in, set it up.

I can think of 3 ways to add modules (as choices during design -- pick one):

A) plug-in cards like a PCI card in a computer -- but I don't want to open the case, and the number of physical slots is limited

B) PC Cards, like you have on a laptop computer -- better, but you are still physically limited to a certain number of slots

C) daisy-chain (perhaps hubless like SCSI, or with hubs like USB) -- this would offer the most flexibility, as there are no physical slots to pay for or limit expansion

You would still want to be able to connect some analog devices, and I am not certain what the best way to deal with that is. Here are some ideas:

A) Perhaps you add a module (box) that contains all the stuff to convert to digital. But this would seem to be wasteful in that you'd end buying the deinterlacing/upconversion/fancyAD circuitry 3 times if you have 3 analog sources (but maybe this is necessary anyway if support for many zones is also a goal). And it also forces a perhaps unwelcome AD conversion if the source will be converted back to analog for/in the amplifier (would using class D amps make this a non-issue? or maybe not a big deal if the sources you want to optimize are all digital anyway).

B) Do some conversion in the module to get the information into a digital form so that you can get it into the main unit, but the more advanced processing circuits would reside in the main unit, avoiding duplication of potentially expensive circuitry. The issue about adding an AD conversion is still an issue here, but I personally don't care that much since the sources I really care about are digital. It might be a compromise that the target audience isn't going to mind. I just use my analog inputs for watching old VCR tapes, or connecting a video game device (that I haven't actually played in years).

C) Have a way to connect some analog devices, much like a normal receiver, but have less of them. And make them assignable. So, I could connect my VCR using Composite1 and Stereo1, and my playstation with Composite2 and Stereo2. Well, that's all I have now, but I recently had an HD cable box that I would have liked to connect on Component1 and DigitalOptical1. Perhaps combine this approach with A or B to add flexibility (at the price of an extra AD conversion and having to buy the module).

With all these modules all over the place, there are probably some issues with power supply and power distribution management. I don't know if that issues is better or worse than sending analog content signals all over the place, however.

More thoughts:
1) Digital pre-outs? Pair the pre/pro with a unit that does both DA conversion and ampliication. Might need an add-on DA module for the sub.
2) Much like the recent offerings from Denon and Yamaha, all video would be upconverted to HDMI (so you would not have to change inputs on your TV) and there would be a GUI for setup and control. But for music, it should still be possible to play a CD without turning on the TV.
3) It would be cool to be able to have displays and IR receivers in other zones to choose sources, change volume, etc.
4) Hell, do the whole thing over ethernet so I have one uber-system in my house where all sources and output devices can be used with each other as desired. Okay, maybe this goes too far -- I need a new receiver now. :)

And speaking of needing a new receiver now, these are the things that are driving my desire to replace my current receiver:
1. need more HDMI inputs (TV only has one, now I have two HDMI sources)
2. bass management -- I just got a sub and want to use it during 2-channel music, my 5-year old receiver doesn't do that
3. auto room EQ feature -- I just played some frequency sweeps in my new room and either my hearing is wack or the response in my room with my system is far from flat (probably both)

-Max

Last edited:
I

im2bz2p

Audiophyte
AV123 product suggestion

A high quality 5 or 7 channel amp with signal sensing auto turn-on (like all subwoofers). Maybe as an extension of your subwoofer amps. At a reasonable price ($2,500 or less) of course.

J

jas ly

Enthusiast
I would like to conect my pc to my receiver with a single wire... usb or firewire,
which could send video and 5.1/7.1audio to HT.

wire harness for behind receiver/amp

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
A quality (not radioshack, sorry radioshake guys) graphic equalizer that has multiple inputs and outputs that can be added to todays receivers which foolishly lack the tape loop feature allowing eq'ing to be added.

Perhaps a 15" sub added to your line up would be nice, something to compete with the larger sub makers products like DefTech's large Supercubes or Velodynes subs.

Expand the X-series to include a center channel and/or other bookshelf models.

I think your products are great, I'm looking forward to seeing what great items you come out with next!
Thanks.

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
I'd like to see an expansion of the X-Series line, starting with a 10" and 12" sub, along with larger X-Series bookshelf and floorstander speakers for people wanting to expand their X-Series system.

Perhaps some bookshelves with two 6.5" woofers and one tweeter. And floorstanders with two or three 6.5" woofers, smaller mid-range driver, and tweeter, as a possibility.

Expansion is important to me because I like to buy high-end equipment piece by piece, as I can afford it. There are many audiophiles out there with limited budgets who prefer to start with small bookshelves as front mains, then move the old front mains to the rear surrounds to make room for front floorstanders or upgraded bookshelves.

J

Jswallac

Audiophyte
It seems that the audio world is converging with the PC world. I would like to see a high fidelity low cost device to compete with the excellent Slim Devices Squeezebox

S

squire.10@osu.e

Audioholic Intern
I'd like to see subwoofers that offer the same specs and performance similar to the UFW line, but are made from less beatiful (read "less expensive") materials. The current offering are gorgeous and modestly-priced, but why not offer them even more modestly-priced to consumers who don't care about the aesthetics of their equipment?

Quality equalizer for use in multichannel/surround formats at a modest price would be terrific.

millerbrad

millerbrad

Enthusiast
Wouldn't mind to see something for video calibration (DVDs, software, etc.)

O

ODellAudio

Audiophyte
Different finishes on the current lineup of x series speakers. Mabey a cherry or a oak finish. I know they are offering some special orders of rosewood speakers but adding a third color like cherry to the current lineup would I think draw more customers in.

Jay

A

Ajax

Audioholic
When the time is appropriate (if ever), I'd like to see a good quality universal HD-DVD/Blu-ray, SACD/DVD-A player. If you wanted to make two different universal players, one for the Hi Def video, and one for the Hi Rez Audio, that would work for me as well.

My next thought is the bottom feeding HT subwoofer others have already mentioned to give those for whom "lower" and "louder" is the preferred criteria something to consider other than the usual suspects. It's possible the upcoming MFW might already fill that bill, but that's an unknown at this point.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I would like to see a $99 BFD DSP 1124P type parametric equalizer that looks better (no rack mounts) and is more simple to set up. There are threads listing the most desired improvements for a new BFD parametric equalizer that describe the features most wanted by audiophiles. I would be satisfied with the current one with the rack mounts replaced and no white writing on the top cover with a simplier setup, and better factory instructions on setup for use as a parametric equalizer. There are independent user instructions for the BFD setup as an equalizer on the Internet, but the factory manual should really cover this information in a clear easy to understand manner.

jthomp27

jthomp27

Audioholic Intern
Acoustic panels

Contest Question: What product/type of product would you like AV123 to bring to the market next and why? (Please limit your responses to speakers and electronics)

I would like to see an offering for acoustic absorbtion panels and/or diffusers. Most of the commercial offerings today seem a tad overpriced to me, and if AV123 could come up with a more affordable and visually appealling design, I think they would sell like hotcakes.

R

rajan

Audiophyte
I would like to see Micro Speaker Systems that goes into smaller living rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis