Enter to Win: Onix X-sub from AV123

What features are most important in a home theater subwoofer?

• Aesthetics/Size

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Maximum Output

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Maximum Extension

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • Quality and Accuracy of LFE Playback

Votes: 223 83.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
in2thelord

in2thelord

Audiophyte
Contest Question: What features are most important in a home theater subwoofer?

It must extended to at least 28Hz, although 15Hz-20Hz would be ideal.:)
It must be available in a White Shadow Maple wood color finish, although black, silver, white, and rosewood would be ideal.:rolleyes:
It must have an adjustable crossover to at least 40Hz, although 30Hz would be ideal.:cool:
It must have at least an 8" inch driver, although a 12" driver would be ideal.:p
It must cost less than $750, although less than $400 would be ideal.:eek:
There must not be any audible port noise at high excursion levels. :D
There must not be any woofer flapping noise at high excursion levels.:mad:

R

Rik

Audioholic
Quality and Accuracy of LFE Playback, everything is secondary to this. it's the wife's job to worry about looks. and it doesn't matter how loud or low it plays if it sounds horrible.

G

gulmer

Enthusiast
Maximum extention with sufficiant power and low distortion and the ability to sound good with 2 channel music as well as the accuracy of LFE playback that comes with DVDs.

J

jdrockafella

Audiophyte
well, considering I voted like 351 other memers I'm not real sure what could possibly be added.

For me, performance on a budget is what it's all about. Just gotta have performance 1st!

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
Aesthetics/Size 17 3.92%
Maximum Output 28 6.45%
Maximum Extension 26 5.99%
Quality and Accuracy of LFE Playback 359 82.72%
Other

When I look for a sub I look for both quality and accuracy. I consider both sealed and ported enclosures but tend to lean on ported enclosures for efficiency. Price is always the second consideration, but bass reproduction accuracy is heavily weight at first.

K

kingofthehill

Audiophyte
The sub should make you be a part of the movie and not just watching the movie. Deep base that you can't hear but only feel provides a whole new dimension to the movie.

A

andysink

Audiophyte
I want good clean powerful bass that will help bring movies and music to life. Explosions that you can not only hear but feel, but still sound relistic. Overbloated subs can ruine your movie watching experience by drawing you attention from the screen.

M

MrMezz

Enthusiast
I prefer a sub that has an adjustable crossover and has accurate sound. It helps if it looks nice but I've owned some ugly subs in my day that just sounded wonderful.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Because I'm a batchelor I don't have to worry about SAF. The only thing that I care about is the sound. If it goes low, loud and clean looks are secondary. :cool:

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I love huge bass, but it's got to be accurate and tight. I've gone through a bunch of subs recently and maybe haven't stopped:D . This looks like a winner in it's class.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It seems to be almost universal that people want their subs to be accurate. It just blows me away when I see big subs that don't have enough power or produce an incredible amount of noise around the vent. Just single note bass boomers that aren't adaptable to environments and always sound horrendous.

A good sub needs to be tight with the bass - not boomy. An enhancement to the overall musical moment, not something that takes over or distracts from the experience.

S

sffan2

Audiophyte
Accuracy is important. I can live without room-vibrating volume.

E

einsteinjb

Audioholic
As evidenced by the poll results, to most people (including myself), deep, accurate, powerful reproduction is key to a successful home theater sub. The lowest octaves, 20 Hz or even slightly lower, are a key part of a true home theater experience, along with the power and build quality to rumble your room WITHOUT distortion. Accuracy (flat frequency response as well as clarity without overhang or boom) is very important to produce a natural sound that accurately reproduces what's on the DVD soundtrack. A sub with these qualities will sound very musical too on either movie soundtrack music or 2-channel music from CD or multichannel audio.

Aesthetics of course are important depending on the customer; I personally don't care if it's a big black box or a beautifully finished wood veneer cabinet, but some folks do care. To me a beautiful box is useless if it doesn't sound outstanding.

Features too are a consideration; speaker-level inputs with crossover, phase controls, built-in parametric EQ, defeatable auto-on control, variable tuning via switches and port plugging... These things can all lend to the attraction of a subwoofer product. But again, all worthless without the SOUND.

J

johnswife

Banned
Whatever makes my hubby happy, and doesn't take up the entire living room!

B

buffethead1985

Banned
It has to be accurate, and it also has to go real deep, like <23Hz.

N

Nate552

Enthusiast
Quality and accuracy of LFE playback.

I think this is most important featuree of a sub. Who cares how loud it is and how pretty the sub is if it doesn't accurately replay the LFE? Extension is probably next. Nobody likes to hear their sub bottom out during a movie.

cajun600

cajun600

Enthusiast
sound is fine

most high end subs today sound great, but it has to have the look to go with it, otherwise its a weird looking box in my living room :p

M

Monkeypimp

Enthusiast
I personally think that the reason for a sub is to have great low sounds that add to the sonic quality of the system and have a quality sub with an accurate reproduction of the lfe. If it looks good but doesn't sound good then what is the point.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
I'd have to say that the most important item for any subwoofer is how it reproduces sound. This goes hand in hand with speakers. No one prefers a speaker that doesn't accurately reproduce what you're listening to. Why settle for a sub that sounds garbled and thuddy?

-pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis