Enter to Win: Onix X-sub from AV123

What features are most important in a home theater subwoofer?

• Aesthetics/Size

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Maximum Output

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Maximum Extension

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • Quality and Accuracy of LFE Playback

Votes: 223 83.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl46

Audiophyte
What features are most improtant in any speaker

Quality, Accuracy, Efficency, Appearence, Versatility and adaptability.

The unit must be built to last. Reproduce music realistically. Run on moderate power to insure enough reserve power to prevent clipping. Must be pleasing to the eye. Adapt to various systems, situations and placements.

Karl

A

akebono

Enthusiast
Sound quality is my #1 priority, but it can't be too ugly either. :)

J

junaluska

Audiophyte
Subwoofer requirements

Faithful reproduction of bass frequencies seamlessly integrated through bass management is a must. The lowest audible frequencies can contribute so much the the musicalilty of properly mastered CD's and can create a listening experence bordering on the sublime.

L

louhamilton

Audioholic Intern
I want my bass to be clean and accurate. I currently have an old Sony sub that is way too boomy and echoey (if that is even a real word :) ). My current sub is also limited in the range that it can go down to.

Would love to have this as part of my current system!

-Lou

J

jorge g

Audiophyte
thats ezee

Not looking for another one in a year because you heard somthing you like more
for more than two reasons! thanks
Jorge G

D

Duffman-OOHYEAH

Junior Audioholic
#1 always will be Accuracy. who wants the lfe channel to sound like someone Bustin arse. I loathe the BOOM!:cool:

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
accurate, accurate, accurate...
I want to hear the next neighbor hater series, with the pictures falling off the wall!!!!

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
home theater subs need to play back LFE with high quality and accuracy

H

heikie

Enthusiast
What features are most important in a home theater subwoofer?

For me, firsty, the sub has to sound well and be able to fill the room with clean crisp base. My first sub was an 8" Paradigm which I thought would fill a 12 x 14 room fine but, I found it to not have enough power, I promptly returned it and got a 10" model.

Secondly, good quality components and connectors. I want something I buy to last.

Thirdly, simple and logically layed out controls.

Finally, auto line sensing power on/off. Because I am lazy.

N

newbietoht

Audiophyte
Question: What features are most important in a home theater subwoofer?

Until recently I have payed closed attention to all the details that make a good HT great, one of the main ones is the sub, if you don'te get good and accurate bass. What's the point on having a sub kind of boom box that will shake your entire house if you are not able to distinguish where is it coming from.
I made the mistake on buying an Accoustimas 10 from Bose (didn't know better at the time) for my HT and now that I have it on a big open room I deeply regret purchase :( . The lack of bass is inmense. Now I appreciate what a good sub would do for my HT.
Bruno

M

mikemorrow

Enthusiast
You can not beat good clean bass. I live next to a train track that shakes my windows. A good clean sub is more of a feel. It doesn't have to be loud. just there

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
I prefer max extension because the volume on subs can be adjusted easily. So I like to get a sub that can get as low as it can go. I like the walls to rattle.

J

johsti

Audioholic
Quality and accuracy of LFE and music playback are most important to me.

Last edited:
V

viking68

Enthusiast
The bass must be musical. Period. Depth and SPLs are important, but not if it sounds like crappola. It's always fun to see the reaction on peoples' faces when they experience great sound, especially when they are not expecting it. It's even more fun when deep bass hits 'em in the chest and they get that "holy :eek: $%&t" look. Yeah, you know the look I'm talkin' about...

I'm currently in the midst of creating a new system (sold most my stuff off when we built our new house), and think this site is great! It's been some time since I've had to serously shop for new gear, and it's nice to see that great products can be had for such reasonable prices!

T

TheFinalWord

Enthusiast
The sub has to have a good clear sound. Aesthetics are important to me as well, but that would be a distant second. More of an all things being equal consideration.

CPman

CPman

Audiophyte
Subwoofer...

Contest Question: What features are most important in a home theater subwoofer?

In my opinion, quality and accuracy are the most important aspects of a home theater subwoofer. It's not about having a subwoofer that recklessly rattles the walls as much as it is about experiencing the timely reverberations in your gut that an accurate subwoofer can produce. A good subwoofer typifies the foundation of controlled sonic chaos.

B

beeman

Audiophyte
Quality and Accuracy of LFE Playback over Maximum output. Anyone can turn a sub up loud and add some low end to music or movies. However not everyone tunes their system for the most accurate responce from the sub. Thats where Quality and Accuracy of LFE Playback come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis