Enter to Win: Onix X-sub from AV123

What features are most important in a home theater subwoofer?

• Aesthetics/Size

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Maximum Output

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Maximum Extension

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • Quality and Accuracy of LFE Playback

Votes: 223 83.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

t4winds

Audiophyte
Accuracy to reproduce what the engineers wanted you to hear. Right behind that is the wow factor - the ability to shake the room w/sheer power, but accuracy is still #1.

R

RonK

Enthusiast
I'll go in with the quality and accuracy group! I figure if it can accurately reproduce the War of 1812 Overture on Telarc, that's good enough for me!

loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
It has to sound good and be able to cleanly produce low frequencies.

Oh, and size DOES matter :D

Bigger is better.

S

SKINNER

Junior Audioholic
Without a question...accuracy, accuracy, accuracy. Without clean accurate bass you may as well not even bother in my opinion. Shoot, this applies to me with everything including car audio--I like clean accurate bass over anything.

J

jheye

Audiophyte
onix sub

accuracy and sound are the most important quality in any speaker or sub. cost doesn't matter if quality is poor.

J

jehelmes

Audiophyte
Subwoofer wish list

Sure its great to advertise bass extension down to the accepted low limit of human hearing of 20 Hz, but most of us probably don't hear that low anymore anyhow. It's far more important to achieve quick, tight, accurate bass in an value-based package. It's better to hear every "thump" in a machine gun or karate punch barrage, than extract every last ounce of low frequency information on a soundtrack

Furthermore, based on JBL's elaborate subwoofer research, it is far more effective to utilize 2 or 4 subs than a single--even if the sub costs more than the 2 or 4 combined. Due to long wavelengths of bass frequency, smooth, even response throughout a room can only be achieved with multiple subs; and not many of us can afford multiple Bag Ends or Sunfires.

Technology and competition has ensured that Home theater systems quickly succumb to dimishing returns after key price points. Therefore a simple, value-based design that doesn't skimp on key components is crucial.

F

fdowns

Audiophyte
While a lot of room shaking power is wonderful, if it don't sound right, it just ain't right. I would rather live with a lower powered sub that sounds good than a high output unit that can't reproduce the low end correctly.

F

Frankonwheels

Audiophyte
Bassically Happy

I certainly agree with the majority here and believe that sheer accuracy, fast and unrestrained attack, and truthful articulation are key to satisfying low frequency reproduction. (It's funny how we have to consistently strive for fresh ways to describe what we're hearing while adding to the audiophile vernacular. :D ) Seriously, though, quality has to come before quantity or it's simply not convincing. Of course I have no qualms with having both, but really good bass does not come cheap. That old axiom remains true, "Ya get what ya pay for." Save up and spend wisely.

Last edited:
A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
I chose deep extension as the most important, but it should be be noted that without accuracy, the extension is worthless IMO. The two pretty much go hand in hand, granted there are degrees and if one speaker is slightly more accurate than the other I would mostlikely opt for deeper extension. I love the feeling of the bones shaking, the apprehension as the sound drops below the subsonic 20Hz mark truely inviting a siesmic response.
~Andrew

B. Gretzler

B. Gretzler

Audiophyte
Subs should be like snipers

Bass, how low can you go? Subs should hit quick and clean with NO distortion at a respectible SPLs or it dosen't matter what they look like. I would love to see a reasonlably priced sub in my living room that can hit from 20 to 120 accurately with some good power.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
I feel the only main key to any speaker whether it be main, surrounds or a sub woofer is accuracy of the sound and the quality of its build which I believe will help with its audible accuracy. With a subwoofer, I don't think aesthetics are too important since it can be somewhat hidden beside a couch.

Bryguy

D

Donzilla

Audiophyte
Tight, authoritative,clean articulate bass. Both musical and in a H-T setting.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Output is more important to me than accuracy for home theater use. I don't really care if the explosion is played a bit "hot" in the 50Hz range but "cold" in the 70Hz range, as long as it's bassy and thumping the floor.

G

geeman

Audiophyte
Accuracy

When I think of a good subwoofer I think of one which has a clean punch and qualitiy. A perfer a non-ported subwoofer to provide the clean punch of a well made sub. Accuracy Accuracy Accuracy :)

K

kingtut

Junior Audioholic
The most important factors to me are: smaller size with good extension for movies and blends in well for music.

B

Babyface

Enthusiast
A sub is meant to shake the house, but it has to sound good doing it above all else. There are plenty of otehr products to help enhance the rumble, but sound quality is reliant upon the speaker.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Definately Quality and LFE playback. Asthetics are important for some, but function over form here. At no point in listening to a great movie should you ever have to divert your attention from plot/experience due to an audio componet not performing/distorting/intruding.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
It's not good enough just to have great extension and powerful SPL. When I'm listening to a sub (for a movie or audio) I want to LFE to be clean and accurate. Not sloppy and boomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis