Enter to Win: Onix X-sub from AV123

What features are most important in a home theater subwoofer?

• Aesthetics/Size

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Maximum Output

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Maximum Extension

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • Quality and Accuracy of LFE Playback

Votes: 223 83.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
Go down low!

If you are going for a home theater sub, I think that subsonic is the way to go. Really, you want it to be fairly accurate, but a some of that can be sacrificed for pure movie effect! You want to feel your explosions in the pit of your stomach! You can't really hear that low anyway, but that gut wrenching feeling is way cool....

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
A sub has to put out the signal and do so cleanly: it serves no purpose if the sound is so muddy that you can't tell what the sound is supposed to represent.

Bryan...movies *and* music, please...

R

rower8899

Enthusiast
Clean and accurate, but it is also important to go down low. Otherwise I would just stick to a great full range speaker that could not reach as low as a sub.

A

AAD

Audioholic Intern
crisp and clean

Crisp, clean, and accurate is the way to go.

I would rather sacrifice a bit of size and power for better sound. Thick muddy base can make even the best system sound awful.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
Tight, accurate bass is my vote. Not quite the same thing as accurate LFE, but a subwoofer that is accurate for LFE is also going to provide tight, accurate bass response as well (with the other speakers set to small, for example).

Great extension is of no benefit if it is accomplished at the expense of a lot of sloppy, boomy bass, with a lot of distortion.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Contest Question: What features are most important in a home theater subwoofer?

I went with quality and accuracy.
These would be my main interests. And was the main reason I went with the sub(s) that I have now.
Price would be a big factor as well, the markup on audio equipment is usually astronomical (to say the least)

S

Subu

Audiophyte
I guess I conformed and went with the whole quality/accuracy aspect - I wanna feel a clean tight punch to my stomach, not a sloppy short series of blobby shoves and pushes massaging my gut bag.

J

jrfuda

Audioholic Intern
When it comes to LFE, quality is where it's at. I hate boomy innacurate bass.

D

dcb1248

Audiophyte
sub preference

Quality and accuracy most important as you can work around the other items.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
Quality and accuracy are very important to me. I have had a few subs with poor and boomy sound and I always hated it.

J

JoJoDaClown

Audiophyte
I need a clean and accurate bass note on my system. Been there when dealing with a sub that lags the signal. The bass note is the most important part of the moment because of the emphasis it has on the sound.

R

rjh58

Audiophyte
reply to win

Acuracy is definitly important but I also want earth shattering bass.

RJH

F

fredejo

Junior Audioholic

It needs to have a good frequency response, if it cant play low enough then the sub is a waste of money (i know i have a focal cub, 8" sux...), & it has to play high enough to mesh with your other speakers. it also has to play tight clean bass, & make sure the port (if ported) doesnt create any port noise, dont want to hear air, just the clean bass. make sure the sub has enough power so u can feel the bass in your seat during explosions in movies, but make sure you dont over power it so that the buyer doesnt think turning the knob higher is better & blow it in a few days, then u have an unhappy customer looking for another company because they dont know anything about electronics. as far as looks go i dont think anyone that really likes music really cares what it looks like as long as it matches the description above, i mean come on, they're electronics not flowers.

sorry for the speach - flowerboy

Senior Audioholic
The sound is most important. I dont care if its ugly, I will just hide it,

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
for me its a combo of quality and max spl
if it has a good sound but won't play at the spl that you want what good is it
and if plays loud and sloppy what good is it

C

crgriggs

Enthusiast
Boom, Boom is nice and I want it, but it needs to be accurate or it all gets messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis