Enter to Win: Aperion 10th Anniversary Home Theater System valued at $1999!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dane

Audioholic Intern
1) What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and finishes / colors?
  • AVR: Marantz SR8001 (Black)
  • Speakers/Subs: AV123 Rocket RS750NM, RSC200NM, RSS300, UFW10 (Ebony)
  • Sources: Oppo BDP-80 (Black), Marantz CC-38 (Black), Tivo S2 (grayish?)
  • VP: DVDO Edge (Black)
2) What would you change in your home theater system?
  • Tivo S2 -> Tivo HD
  • Add a professional rack for equipment
3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system?
  • Rack for better heat dissipation
4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain.
  • 10-- We have a single family room that serves as standard TV viewing, family game time, activity and visiting room when company is over, as well as home theater. Visual aspects rate very highly for everything in the room (not just HT equipment).

thanks,
..dane

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
1) What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and finishes / colors?

- Receiver: Pioneer Elite 74txvi Black
Speakers: Infinity Primus P362B fronts; Infinity Primus PC350 center;
Infinity Primus P162 surround; SVS PB12 ISD subwoofer. All black
Source: Oppo DVD player. Silver

- Receiver and source.

- Add a surround back speakers to make it a 7.1 system

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1 Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain.

- 7. Wife wants it to match with everything in the room.:rolleyes:

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
  • Amp/Receiver Marantz AVR/Carver and NAD amps
  • Speakers Klipsch RB75 Black
  • Sub(s) DIY Eclipse SW8200
  • Sources PS3, Samsung DVD, WDTVLIVE
  • AV furniture Generic TV stand, DIY audio rack (cherry)
  • Other

2) What would you change in your home theater system? I'd like bigger display, add surrounds, maybe upgrade to hardware that handles lossless codecs.

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Add surrounds. I miss having the rear channels

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. About a 3. I don't really care, but could be a difference maker with all else equal.

L

LimiterOne

Enthusiast

a. Yamaha HTR-5630/Black
b. Orb Audio FL/FR/C, Yamaha HTIB cheapos RL/RR surround/all Black
c. MTX Lolita 8"/Black
d. Panasonic DMP BD65/Black
e. Ikea Besta wall-mounted A/V cabinet/Mocha (essentially black)

At this point, I'd change everything except the Panasonic, and possibly the Orbs. It's a cobbled-together Frankenstein's Monster of a system, but it works (sort of ;-))

First thing I'd spend money on would be the rear surrounds.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system?
10. Regardless of the patchwork nature, I at least wanted to maintain my color choice.

L

LabRat

Audioholic Intern
  • Amp/Receiver: Yamaha RX-663
  • Speakers: SVS SCS (LCR), SBS rear L,R (all black/grey laminate finish)
  • Sub(s): SVS 2531 PCi (black cloth), Boston Acoustic XB-6
  • Sources: Sony CD player, CDP-CE375, (black), Direct TV, HR23-700 (black), Blueray: Samsung 1600 (black)
  • AV furniture: Built-in wall unit of 3/4" furniture grade plywood, painted white, built with wife.
  • Other
TV: Samsung 61" HD RPTV (black)

Move it all into a nicer home (just kidding, kinda). Seriously, add better system upstairs, currently a 2.1 mediocre system.
3) What would you upgrade first in your home theater system? Replace Boston sub, and TV
4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. 1, Sub sounds best in this room behind a couch, mostly out of sight. For me the looks take a back seat to sound, but couldn't get away with this anywhere else in the house due to WAF...

Thanks for the chance to win and good luck to all.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
a. Amp/Receiver – Yamaha RX-V4600[black]
b. Speakers – Bose 901 [oak with cherry finish], Klipsch Krap center channel [black], Advent Mini surround [black]
c. Sub(s) – JBL PSW-1000 [black]
d. Sources – Samsung Blu-Ray player [black]
e. AV furniture – IKEA cherry wood TV stand [when they made/sold real wood furniture]
f. Other

2) What would you change in your home theater system? Does the whole setup count? I would say the speakers. The 901’s are a great speaker, provided you have enough juice and I do but they’re geared more towards audio than video sound reproduction and the Advent’s, since they’re not meant for HT use.

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Klipsch center channel – simply a tragic mistake on my part

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. Scale: 8 I personally don’t care what the speakers look like, as long as my ears are happy, but as many a “happily” married man can attest to, the spouse vehemently disagrees; so must I … I guess.
;)

V

vikebrian84

Audioholic Intern

1. Amp/Receiver -

Harmon Kardon Avr 254

2. Speakers -

Fronts - Energy Rc-10 Black Veneer

Rears - Paradigm Atom V.6 Black Ash

Center - None

3. Sub(s)

Hsu Stf-2 - Black matt finish

4. Sources

Playstation 3
Directv

5. AV furniture

Tv stand, paradigm j-30 speaker stands, bed

6. Other

Panasonic Viera TC-

Since im currently a college student on a budget ive pieced everything together used for bargain prices. Im saving up to get a matching speaker set for a more unified cohesive sound.

The fronts to a speaker with a less laid back tweeter. Hopefully the rears at the same time and add a center channel all of the same brand.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain.

3 - The finish wouldn't matter much because the best placement for me is in the corner away from the rest of my system. If it had to be nearer to me it would matter more. And of course if I had a choice they would match so it matters somewhat but very little.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
Amp/Receiver - Parasound C1 silver
Speakers - VonSchweikert VR4.5/TS150/VS2 - dark and light cherry
Sub(s) - ACI kit built sub
Sources - Denon DVD5910
AV furniture - Salamander
Other - Sanyo PLVZ5

2) What would you change in your home theater system? - get a better room

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? - projector

7 - wood should match but shade differences are tolerable

Note this contest ends on July 31st, 2010. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Leifashley27

Leifashley27

Audiophyte
Amp/Receiver: Denon AVR-4308ci
Speakers: Infinity Beta 50 Towers, Beta C360 Center, infinity inwalls
Sub(s) 2 - Velodyne DLS-5000R
Sources - Denon 2500 BTCI Blu Ray, Xbox 360
AV furniture - Sectional Couch,
Other - Mitsubishi HC6500 Projector, Elite 120" Screen

Do a complete tear down and rebuild of the room

Speakers

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. 10 I think the sub should match the towers since they're essentially going to be right next to each other on the front sound stage.

D

dvdspikes

Audiophyte
a. Receiver: Yamaha RX-V765
b. Speakers: Polk Monitor 70 (front), cs2 (center), 40 (surround) - black
c. Sub: Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 - black
d. Sources: Computer
e. AV furniture: None. Currently the receiver is on a nightstand and the computer monitors are on a desk.

Get a display, HTPC, AV cabinet, and speaker stands for the surrounds.

Display - using my computer right now

3 - I like black, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Specs and price were more important than aesthetics.

Z

Zaluss

Audioholic
Amp/Receiver: Yamaha V663 Black.
Speakers: AV123 Rocket RS850 Rosewood, AV123 ELT525C Rosewood.
Sub(s): AV123 X-Sub Palisander Rosa Satin
Sources: Squeezebox 3, Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC
AV furniture: Ikea AV stuff
Other

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Smaller speakers for my apartment.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. 10. I like to color match all my speakers together. If they don't blend, it doesn't fit right.

99buggers

Audiophyte
1. DIY modula MTM black, Adcom amps, THT sub, Sonosub, everything black...Actually everything I have is DIY LoL.
2. new amps
3. uh amps
4. My subs do not mix at all:D

C

cmkarlsson

Audiophyte
a. Receiver: Yamaha RX-V902 - black
b. Speakers: Paradigm Titans (front), Bose (center), Bose (surround) - black
c. Sub: None
d. Sources: Dish Network, Sony DVD player, iPod - all black
e. AV furniture: Built-in shelves
f.

Add Blu-ray player and real surround speakers and center speaker

Receiver, very old with no hdmi

8 - Since I don't currently have a subwoofer it really doesn't pertain to me but if I was to add one I would like it to match system but wouldn't be end of the world if it didn't

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic

1. Amp/Receiver - Onkyo 5007 (Black)
2. Speakers - Klipsch: KLF-30's (L/R), KLF-C7 (C), RS-52's (Surr)
3. Sub(s) - HSUResearch VTF3-MK3 x2
4. Sources - Comcast Cable
5. AV furniture - besides TV stand, none
6. Other - PS3, Xbox360, Wii

2) What would you change in your home theater system? The room. I wish I had a dedicated room where I could do a 13.4 setup. Just a 11 speaker set up with a god speaker in the ceiling.

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? TV, I have a samsung LED DLP but I am loving the new plasmas and of course the Mitsubishi 82" dlp.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). 7. It matters if they are in plane view. If not, not so much

Last edited:

Bastia

Audiophyte
  • Integra DTC-9.8 Processor w/ Axiom Audio A1400-8 Amplifier
  • Axiom Audio M80 (x2) mains, M22 as center, QS8 (x4) surrounds, all in Boston Cherry
  • Axiom Audio EP800 Subwoofer (x4) in Boston Cherry
  • PS3, Xbox 360, OPPO BDP-83, PC
  • AV furniture - Nothing worth mentioning
  • Other - SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ

A new dedicated theater room would be ideal. As far as gear, I want stuff that isn't out yet.

I believe my next major upgrade will be my display. I'd like to move to a front projector. However, I may end up upgrading my pre-pro first. It just depends on if my dream projector or dream pre-pro comes out first.

3. It didn't matter that much, but I ordered them to match, anyway, since Axiom came out with a sub that made me drool. I was thinking of HSU ULS-15s before then, and they would have just been black.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I never win stuff, but what the hell, I'll give it a shot..

1)
a. Onkyo TX-SR707/ black
b. Infinity Primus p362 fronts, c350 center, p162 rears. All a painted black wood grain finish
c. Hsu Research VTF3 mk3 x2, matte black finish.
d. Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu Ray player, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-dvd player, Pioneer laser disc player, sony VCR
e. furniture is a very old TV stand with a Ceder finish, and that's all.
f. rear speaker mounts is just some shelves I made, Home Depot 16 AWG speaker cable, monoprice HDMI, RCA, and optical cable.

2) I am happy with the way it is now.

3) If I had to upgrade something, I would get a separate amplifier for the speakers, and just use the Onkyo as a pre-processor.

4) I would say a importance of 3 in subwoofer finish matching the speakers. I didn't want it wildly unmatched, but just as long as it was some kind of black, I didn't care too much. Performance was the highest priority.

Last edited:
D

drummerguy

Audiophyte

1. Amp/Receiver Onkyo txsr605
2. Speakers h/k blose
3. Sub(s)h/k
4. Sources ps3, wii, directv, samsung 52 lcd 120hz
5. AV furniture
6. Other - APC h-10

speakers

speakers

10, I'm OCD... :eek:)

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic

1. Amp/Receiver - Onkyo HT-RC180
2. Speakers - Axiom Audio m80, vp150, qs8
3. Sub(s) - Polk Audio psw505
4. Sources - PS3, Toshiba hd-a30, nintendo wii, uverse
5. AV furniture - reclining couch, love seat
6. Other

A: I would change my sub and my furniture. Also, would like to add front height speakers.

A: Sub no doubt

3 My current sub does not match and I'm ok with that. I would be much more concerned with the specs, output etc.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
1)
1. Amp/Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805 - black
2. Speakers - Ascend Acoustics - black
3. Sub(s) - HSU - black
4. Sources -
HTPC/Bluray - black
Oppo dvd player - black
directv hd-dvr - silver
xbox360 - white
5. AV furniture - samsung tv stand - silver, home made amp table - black
6. Other - samsung hlr-5067w DLP, black and silver

would like all equipment in a rack hidden away in a closet

upgrade the DLP to an LED backlit LCD

4) 7, since the speakers and sub are separated, a slight difference in appearance wouldnt be too big of a deal, but it is nice for all speakers and sub to have the same look for congruity.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic

1. Yamaha RXV-661 in black
2. Polk Audio R300 mains
Polk Audio CSI25 center
HTD middies side surround
HTD HD-65 in ceiling rears
Panasonic PT-AX100U 720p projector
Toshiba A2 HD DVD player
3. SVS 25-31 Plus subwoofer tuned to 20Hz
4. PS3, Toshiba A2, Custom AMD sempron HTPC (music server), Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable DRV
5. Sanus dark cherry lowboy center
6. Panasonic projector to custom 84 inch fixed screen

2) main speakers. need to be more powerful to match huge sub.

3) Main speakers.

4) 2. Mattered little. It is behind the couch, so black is just fine there. Frankly, black is just fine everywhere however I would prefer real wood if doing it over again.

Thanks,

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis